• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 129 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Blanco said:
tobydawq said:
100 victories in seven and a half years. Fantastic.

Amazing achievement! Only the 4th active rider, and by far the youngest. If he continues like this he could reach 200, and if we exclude criteriums I think only Merckx did that.

If he continues at this rate for another 8 seasons he would be completely unique in history. Especially since his wins rely on sprinting agility which goes away earlier than anything else.

Moser, van Looy, van Steenbergen and de Vlaeminck also have more than 200 excluding criteriums. Saronni and Cipollini almost have 200 but not quite.

Among active riders, Greipel leads with 146. Of course this is helped by the fact that it's way more common for races to end in sprints now

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

GuyIncognito said:
Blanco said:
tobydawq said:
100 victories in seven and a half years. Fantastic.

Amazing achievement! Only the 4th active rider, and by far the youngest. If he continues like this he could reach 200, and if we exclude criteriums I think only Merckx did that.

If he continues at this rate for another 8 seasons he would be completely unique in history. Especially since his wins rely on sprinting agility which goes away earlier than anything else.

Moser, van Looy, van Steenbergen and de Vlaeminck also have more than 200 excluding criteriums. Saronni and Cipollini almost have 200 but not quite.

Among active riders, Greipel leads with 146. Of course this is helped by the fact that it's way more common for races to end in sprints now

Have you any source for numbers of wins? In different sites are various numbers. Is any list of cyclists with most wins? On wikipedia I found these numbers: Merckx 525, Van Looy 379, Moser 273, van Steenbergen 270, de Vlaeminck 255, Saronni 193, Kelly 193, Cipollini 191, Petacchi 183... more than 100 - Greipel, Cavendish, Boonen, Valverde, Sagan

Sagan turned serious and slightly vindictive when a journalist told him that Kwiatkowski had said he hopes to go in a decisive break with Sagan.

“So that I pull him and then he beats me in the sprint?” Sagan asked, clearly not having forgotten his defeat by the Pole at this year’s Milan-San Remo.

Sagan bit harsh on Kwiatkowski :Neutral: Anyway I hope Sagan will rewrite the history tommorrow and became a legend of this sport.

Re:

Ricco' said:
Jesus Sagan, the one who sacrifices himself for the sins of the other riders.

It's getting annoying by now.

It's also annoying to have people complain about him complaining about it being annoying, when it clearly is annoying and ridiculous how riders leech away on his wheel race after race.

I don't think he will win tomorrow, but I really, really hope I'll be proven wrong.

tobydawq said:
Ricco' said:

It's also annoying to have people complain about him complaining about it being annoying, when it clearly is annoying and ridiculous how riders leech away on his wheel race after race.

I don't think he will win tomorrow, but I really, really hope I'll be proven wrong.

What do he think will happen? The inferior sprinters working the same amount as the clearly better sprinter who can fight for wins in the TDF sprint stages? If Sagan wants to win, so do the other riders.

Ricco' said:
tobydawq said:
Ricco' said:

What do he think will happen? The inferior sprinters working the same amount as the clearly better sprinter who can fight for wins in the TDF sprint stages? If Sagan wants to win, so do the other riders.

Yes, if they are in the lead group like in MSR, you're right. And what he did in GW was foolish.

When nobody wants to cooperate with him like in Montréal when there was a break in front, they are idiots. It's better to get to the front so you have a theoretical chance for the win than to not do that and have no chance.

I'm not saying that I don't understand why people rarely want to work with him. But I am saying that sometimes it doesn't really make sense. And either way, it's definitely understandable why he in the given situation finds it annoying no matter how logical the lack of cooperation might be.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
They all prefer to see sagan lose rather than trying to win the race. Unfortunately for sagan (and for us), he doesn't have rivals (who were great champions) like cance or boonen who would work with him no matter what.

Ricco' said:
tobydawq said:
Ricco' said:

And did he say something that isn't truth?I wouldn't bet on Sagan pulling Kwiatkowski ever again!

Re:

portugal11 said:
They all prefer to see sagan lose rather than trying to win the race. Unfortunately for sagan (and for us), he doesn't have rivals (who were great champions) like cance or boonen who would work with him no matter what.

Tomorrow GVA, Gilbert, Kwiatkowski will work with Sagan. At least to a certain point. They must. I'm sure they recognize this. They need to drop the other fast people so the only one to worry about is Sagan. Also if they work together until the finale and then stop working - that is what cooperation is. Of course at some point others are going to race against Sagan.

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Ricco' said:

Riders are allowed to ride tactically.
Sagan is allowed to get upset when they ride tactically.

This isn't difficult. It's a competition, both sides can be justifiably angry.

Jspear said:
portugal11 said:

Tomorrow GVA, Gilbert, Kwiatkowski will work with Sagan. At least to a certain point. They must. I'm sure they recognize this. They need to drop the other fast people so the only one to worry about is Sagan. Also if they work together until the finale and then stop working - that is what cooperation is. Of course at some point others are going to race against Sagan.
Unfortunatelly for us, I really doubt that Peter will be willing to create or contribute in such a strong and experienced group. In bunch sprint he has only one ( two) oponents: Gaviria (Trentin) . I do not see how Viviani can survive this. And I have a feeling, he would rather lose it to Gaviria then Kwiatko or GVA.
Now it is his time for negative racing and wheelsucking.
But it is me. Full of negative feelings and bed memories. Fortunately Sagan prooved me wrong so many times. He keeps surprising me how mature, positive and open-minded he is.
EDIT: I somhow keep forgetting Kristoff, EBH and Mathews as sprinters. :)
To tell the truth I do not mind EBH beat him. If somebody have to beat him, let EBH is the man

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

SKSemtex said:
Jspear said:
portugal11 said:

Unfortunatelly for us, I really doubt that Peter will be willing to create or contribute in such a strong and experienced group. In bunch sprint he has only one ( two) oponents: Gaviria (Trentin) . I do not see how Viviani can survive this. And I have a feeling, he would rather lose it to Gaviria then Kwiatko or GVA.
Now it is his time for negative racing and wheelsucking.
But it is me. Full of negative feelings and bed memories. Fortunately Sagan prooved me wrong so many times. He keeps surprising me how mature, positive and open-minded he is.
EDIT: I somhow keep forgetting Kristoff, EBH and Mathews as sprinters. :)
To tell the truth I do not mind EBH beat him. If somebody have to beat him, let EBH is the man
Today gaviria won't be a threat, matthews will

TRENDING THREADS