• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 158 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Leinster said:
Jspear said:
Dragontearz said:
Is this still a Peter Sagan discussion thread?

No. The most important thing to talk about in most threads these days is Valverde. Then we have to bring up Nibali.

I predict he’ll be 2nd in Amstel.
Who, Nibali or Valverde?

Maybe he's actually referring to Sagan. Unfortunately the he is ambiguous as we have no idea who is actually being referred to.

[mod hat on]

Stay on topic please.

[mod hat off]

Sagan: can win anything unless the field rides against him. Add Valverde to the mix, and Sagan can somewhat fly under the radar. Danger.

Nibali, yes, is the best all-around rider, he's aggressive and will go for broke. Watch out. QS may find a way to screw it up and not podium. Alaf, Bardet, Martin? They can win.

But to me, in this mess and so many pretenders like in PR, Sagan won't be the focus, therefore he can win.

I'm not watching the start list, just got back from a 16 hour work day. After three of those. But if all participate, this will be a dog fight.

Koronin said:
Leinster said:
Jspear said:
Dragontearz said:
Is this still a Peter Sagan discussion thread?

No. The most important thing to talk about in most threads these days is Valverde. Then we have to bring up Nibali.

I predict he’ll be 2nd in Amstel.
Who, Nibali or Valverde?

Maybe he's actually referring to Sagan. Unfortunately the he is ambiguous s we have no idea who is actually being referred to.

The he is of course talking about the rider who’s thread this is. :)

Tonton said:
[mod hat on]

Stay on topic please.

[mod hat off]

Sagan: can win anything unless the field rides against him. Add Valverde to the mix, and Sagan can somewhat fly under the radar. Danger.

Nibali, yes, is the best all-around rider, he's aggressive and will go for broke. Watch out. QS may find a way to screw it up and not podium. Alaf, Bardet, Martin? They can win.

But to me, in this mess and so many pretenders like in PR, Sagan won't be the focus, therefore he can win.

I'm not watching the start list, just got back from a 16 hour work day. After three of those. But if all participate, this will be a dog fight.

Even peloton fully focused on him to lose this time, cannot stop him from the win.
He is in monstrous form and he has the great team here.
He can lose AGR only if he decide to help winning somebody else.
BTW I miss your pre-race prediction. You do not defend your title properly. :D

SKSemtex said:
Tonton said:
[mod hat on]

Stay on topic please.

[mod hat off]

Even peloton fully focused on him to lose this time, cannot stop him from the win.

You're way too sure he will win tomorrow, I wouldn't be. There are too many top guns in this race, all on form. He's maybe the top favorite, but there are many ways for him to lose this race.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
SKSemtex said:
Tonton said:
[mod hat on]

Stay on topic please.

[mod hat off]

Are you referring to Sagan, Valverde or Nibali? :lol:

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Tonton said:
[mod hat on]

Stay on topic please.

[mod hat off]

I don’t know if you’re right about the peloton marking Sagan but they absolutely should. Repeated short climbs are where Sagan thrives. On another note, how did Sagan go from a non-starter last year to this year’s pre-race favourite?

Re:

Netserk said:
No. The point was that Valverde wasn't good enough there, so if Sagan was in the same situation, I wouldn't expect him to make the bridge (on the climb, but perhaps he could do so on the plateau...)

Let's be honest. He couldn't. On the other hand last year Kwiatko and last year Gilbert will not be racing tommorow. Their started season together with Sagan and nothing indicates that their form can be superior to Sagan.

Durden93 said:
Tonton said:
[mod hat on]

Stay on topic please.

[mod hat off]

I don’t know if you’re right about the peloton marking Sagan but they absolutely should. Repeated short climbs are where Sagan thrives. On another note, how did Sagan go from a non-starter last year to this year’s pre-race favourite?

What kind of weird logic is this?

The same way Froome will be the favourite for the Giro this year, I presume. Or the same way Valverde will be the favourite for a number of races in the autumn. Or the same way Nibali will be an outsider next Sunday in Liège.

Riders change their calendars from year to year and good riders will obviously be favourites in the new races they choose to target as long as they suit them...

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
What are the chances of Sagan riding Liege next week?

IMO he should do Liege just to see and learn (while supporting his team) if he can be competitive and target this race one day.

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
tobydawq said:
Durden93 said:
Tonton said:
[mod hat on]

Stay on topic please.

[mod hat off]

The same way Froome will be the favourite for the Giro this year, I presume. Or the same way Valverde will be the favourite for a number of races in the autumn. Or the same way Nibali will be an outsider next Sunday in Liège.

Riders change their calendars from year to year and good riders will obviously be favourites in the new races they choose to target as long as they suit them...

My point was that I found it weird that Sagan wasn’t at all interested in the race last year but now he could win it. I think he’s a significant favourite at this point. Also, GTs are not remotely similiar to classics. GT routes change significantly from year to year whereas the classics routes stay largely the same.

Durden93 said:
tobydawq said:
Durden93 said:
Tonton said:
[mod hat on]

Stay on topic please.

[mod hat off]

My point was that I found it weird that Sagan wasn’t at all interested in the race last year but now he could win it. I think he’s a significant favourite at this point. Also, GTs are not remotely similiar to classics. GT routes change significantly from year to year whereas the classics routes stay largely the same.

He skipped the opening weekend and now extends the spring season one week, so compared to last year he has been racing for the same amount of weeks (six).

He wants his downtime before California which is why he usually stops after Roubaix. Last year he very unsuccessfully participated in the Rund um den Finanzplatz or whatever its name is, which proved that he didn't like racing between Roubaix and California (perhaps he had a hangover from a party thrown by Boonen the day before, though).

Another reason explaining his participation could be that he has an eye on the WorldTour ranking which he leads comfortably at the moment.

Re:

Jancouver said:

IMO he should do Liege just to see and learn (while supporting his team) if he can be competitive and target this race one day.
Now that he’s won pretty much all there is to win in the 75kg+ weight division, it’d be great to see him try for some of the lumpier races. I still believe there isn’t a race on the calendar that he can’t win, if he has the focus and drive to go for it.

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
tobydawq said:
Durden93 said:
tobydawq said:
Durden93 said:
Tonton said:
[mod hat on]

Stay on topic please.

[mod hat off]

He skipped the opening weekend and now extends the spring season one week, so compared to last year he has been racing for the same amount of weeks (six).

He wants his downtime before California which is why he usually stops after Roubaix. Last year he very unsuccessfully participated in the Rund um den Finanzplatz or whatever its name is, which proved that he didn't like racing between Roubaix and California (perhaps he had a hangover from a party thrown by Boonen the day before, though).

Another reason explaining his participation could be that he has an eye on the WorldTour ranking which he leads comfortably at the moment.

Right, I completely forgot he skipped the opening weekend. That changes things quite a bit.

Leinster said:
Jancouver said:

Now that he’s won pretty much all there is to win in the 75kg+ weight division, it’d be great to see him try for some of the lumpier races. I still believe there isn’t a race on the calendar that he can’t win, if he has the focus and drive to go for it.
Me too. I would prefer him to go for all 5 then try to collect another RVV and PR.

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site

Leinster said:
Jancouver said:

I really doubt Sagan would be able to beat Valverde and Alaphilippe with so much racing in his legs. Maybe if he peaked for it he could but I doubt it.

tobydawq said:
Durden93 said:
tobydawq said:
Durden93 said:
Tonton said:
[mod hat on]

Stay on topic please.

[mod hat off]

If Valverde gets a good finish at Amstel along with another Ardennes double the WT points rankings will be very tight.

True, and Valverde probably has more possibilities to score many points in the remainder of the season. But Sagan can also get somewhere between some and a lot of points in California, Suisse, TdF, Binckbank Tour and the Canadian races. His problem is that of these races, it's only the Canadian and Binckbank he can win outright.

If Valverde podiums the Tour and Vuelta, Suisse, the Ardennes double, CSS and Lombardia, he will be unstoppable.

Re:

tobydawq said:
True, and Valverde probably has more possibilities to score many points in the remainder of the season. But Sagan can also get somewhere between some and a lot of points in California, Suisse, TdF, Binckbank Tour and the Canadian races. His problem is that of these races, it's only the Canadian and Binckbank he can win outright.

If Valverde podiums the Tour and Vuelta, Suisse, the Ardennes double, CSS and Lombardia, he will be unstoppable.

Don't forget the Worlds where he's likely to podium even if he doesn't actually win it. The other thing is Valverde will go after stage points in races as well. He's the one GC rider that is know for points hunting during races. Top 10 at least in Grand Tours give WT points and it's highly likely that he'll be in the top 10 GC of both the Tour and Vuelta along with a a good chance of a podium in at least 1 of the two.

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Re:

tobydawq said:

That's a lot to ask for given that Valverde has never podiumed the TDF and Vuelta in the same year and never won Il Lombardia

TRENDING THREADS