• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 196 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
so boxed in and sad face again. I think that "older/wiser" Sagan will need a train in the sprints after all.

Ah, he seemed still on top of his positioning game but just as Ewan launched, QuickStep boys and Hofstetter got up there and cut him out. That could have happened to any version of Sagan.

Looking at the heli shots the last three kilometres, he still looked to be floating and deciding himself which wheel to be on.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Ah, he seemed still on top of his positioning game but just as Ewan launched, QuickStep boys and Hofstetter got up there and cut him out. That could have happened to any version of Sagan.

Looking at the heli shots the last three kilometres, he still looked to be floating and deciding himself which wheel to be on.

and that's exactly a fact I am pointing at, it could have been happening to Sagan all the time, but it didn't, and Sagan was taking benefit of it. If you look at all the recent sprints of him, 8 times of 10 he's boxed in. And now think of the coolest sprint wins of his, e.g. the Doha WCH or the stage at Eneco/BincBank(not sure which year it was), where the road opened in front of him like the see in front of Moses did. It's like this ability somehow jumped on WVA somehow :D. But actually, being older, 2 Le Tour incidents and thus taking fewer risks is to be blamed.

Quite surprised he was so honest, about how badly the covid hit him, as far as training is concerned. Inbetween the lines, I am afraid, the spring is over for him. However, it is surprise for me, that he plans to go to the Olympic. I have not noticed that. So let's hope for good summer and autumn.

Reactions: Keram and SafeBet

Quite surprised he was so honest, about how badly the covid hit him, as far as training is concerned. Inbetween the lines, I am afraid, the spring is over for him. However, it is surprise for me, that he plans to go to the Olympic. I have not noticed that. So let's hope for good summer and autumn.

Well, why not? Olympics are always fun, and seeing as he's still #17 ranked rider on PCS whereas the next best Slovak rider is #474, so there's not much competition to qualify.

Well, why not? Olympics are always fun, and seeing as he's still #17 ranked rider on PCS whereas the next best Slovak rider is #474, so there's not much competition to qualify.
The problem is not with Slovakia having no replacement, but with the course where he has little chance and there's the time schedule problem with TdF a and quite a lot travelling. I was expecting he would concentrate on WCH.

4th, 2nd (or 10th) - whatever. He was the 2nd last rider over the Poggio of the first group and never in a position or with legs to win.

I didn't say he was looking like his 2017 self, now, did I...? But I had honestly feared he would be dropped on the Cipressa, and now I begin to think that with Catalunya in his legs he might yet reach a good level, especially for Roubaix.

Reactions: Keram
His sprint looked much better than I anticipated though. And much better than some of his other sprints in this race when he was the biggest favorite.
Maybe this is the right tactic for the future when he'll be on better form . Hold something back on the Poggio and come in 15-20th position over the top. Make people believe he is weak, and then wait for the sprint and give everything there. I'm sure if he had chosen this tactic for every M-S in his career, he'd have a couple of wins by now. But he almost everytime chooses the attacking way, which is of course more admirable for fans, but at the same time probably the harder way.

I remember looking at betting odds before the races for the classics and I think from 2012 to 2019 he always had the shortest odds for Milano - Sanremo. Last year was the first time after quite a long period when he wasn't the clear No.1 favourite for the bookies. And this season was the first time he flew completely under the radar.

TRENDING THREADS