• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 209 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Consisting of well-known names, such as Sagan, Froome, Lutsenko, Hodeg, Hindley, Pozzovivo or Bol, the stage race Tour of Slovakia has been starting with today´s prologue. The full starlist and all stages can be found on this link.

After a long time, Sagan has a realistic chance to be an overall leader after the final stage. Since the race profile is quite flat, with smaller and short hills, it should suits him well. Let´s see if he can keep up the momentum from the Benelux Tour, where he was showing flashes of his older form, but could not capitalize it in the final metres of stages. I believe the race like this is optimal to taste victory, and eventually, to gain some confidence towards the Worlds and P-R.

Consisting of well-known names, such as Sagan, Froome, Lutsenko, Hodeg, Hindley, Pozzovivo or Bol, the stage race Tour of Slovakia has been starting with today´s prologue. The full starlist and all stages can be found on this link.

After a long time, Sagan has a realistic chance to be an overall leader after the final stage. Since the race profile is quite flat, with smaller and short hills, it should suits him well. Let´s see if he can keep up the momentum from the Benelux Tour, where he was showing flashes of his older form, but could not capitalize it in the final metres of stages. I believe the race like this is optimal to taste victory, and eventually, to gain some confidence towards the Worlds and P-R.
I dont know how are bonus in the race.
They did a route for him, so he has a good oportunity.
But Quick has strong sprinters, so he has a do hard the climbs and control thee race with his team, if he wants to get overall.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I dont know how are bonus in the race.
They did a route for him, so he has a good oportunity.
But Quick has strong sprinters, so he has a do hard the climbs and control thee race with his team, if he wants to get overall.
Time bonuses for the best three in the finish should be 10, 6 and 4 seconds. The top three riders who pass through intermediate sprint sections will be awarded with 3, 2 and one second.

Today Quick showed more powerfull than Bora.

He was closed at the end, but I think he had the legs to win today.

Anyway he will try something different to go with Hodeg and his powerfulls helpers in the sprint if he want to win his home s race.
Tomorrow the climb is not far fromn the end, but is really soft. Anyway it has some section at about 9 % where an sprinter could suffer more than today climb, clearly harder in average, but more regular and shorter.

I have to say I'm getting quite hot on the idea of Sagan becoming World Champion for the fourth time.

I know he hasn't shown much to grant such expectations but if the Belgians really do keep the race quite closed to set-up a small bunch sprint for Van Aert, Sagan should be the second-fastest man there. And then stranger things would have happened before in the history of cycling.

I know he doesn't have a team (and yes, RhD, I know he is not the only participant from Slovakia) but if he just keeps himself in the shadows like in Richmond and Bergen, that shouldn't be too much of an issue here, when the strongest team want to keep things together for a sprint.

I have been a bit (a lot) worried about his climbing the past couple of years, but today he was the best in Slovakia on the hills, and in the Benelux Tour he wasn't too bad on the cobbled hills, either, and his shape should only be going one way at the moment. So unless it becomes a really, really tough race, he will feature in the final selection, I think.

I have to say I'm getting quite hot on the idea of Sagan becoming World Champion for the fourth time.

I know he hasn't shown much to grant such expectations but if the Belgians really do keep the race quite closed to set-up a small bunch sprint for Van Aert, Sagan should be the second-fastest man there. And then stranger things would have happened before in the history of cycling.

I know he doesn't have a team (and yes, RhD, I know he is not the only participant from Slovakia) but if he just keeps himself in the shadows like in Richmond and Bergen, that shouldn't be too much of an issue here, when the strongest team want to keep things together for a sprint.

I have been a bit (a lot) worried about his climbing the past couple of years, but today he was the best in Slovakia on the hills, and in the Benelux Tour he wasn't too bad on the cobbled hills, either, and his shape should only be going one way at the moment. So unless it becomes a really, really tough race, he will feature in the final selection, I think.
E45RjYyX0Ac5q5O

Sagan losing race on cobbled hill somehow underlined last two(three) seasons. He isnt same rider after his TDF 2018 fall. Last three years he had winter prep with troubles but still. I remember only one race where he seemed like world class rider last two seasons. It was Harrogate and he missed decisive split but was strong that day. I believe he can find his mojo back next seasons like Cavendish this year or Gilbert in the past but we can maybe accept the fact we dont live in Sagan era anymore and never will be. But we will rooting for him till his last race for sure!

Edit: His 2020 Giro stage win was huge he was absolutely amazing I forgot.

Last edited:
Sagan losing race on cobbled hill somehow underlined last two(three) seasons. He isnt same rider after his TDF 2018 fall. Last three years he had winter prep with troubles but still. I remember only one race where he seemed like world class rider last two seasons. It was Harrogate and he missed decisive split but was strong that day. I believe he can find his mojo back next seasons like Cavendish this year or Gilbert in the past but we can maybe accept the fact we dont live in Sagan era anymore and never will be. But we will rooting for him till his last race for sure!

Edit: His 2020 Giro stage win was huge he was absolutely amazing I forgot.
I don't see the point in repeating this over and over again. Only naive people thought he could still win a race like this. Most of the riders he used to compete with in big races have either declined just like him or retired (with a few exceptions). You can't rewind time.

TRENDING THREADS