• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 215 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Well, there is this: https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/peter-sagan-i-think-quickstep-never-wanted-me/

Bizarre comments about Evenepoel. Wonder if something was lost in translation.
The context from the article here is that his press officer starts comparing him to other riders in terms of star quality.

During the interview, Sagan's press officer Gabriele Uboldi interjected to compare Sagan to other superstars of the peloton such as Tadej Pogačar and Wout van Aert, saying, "There is not rider in the whole peloton on his level" in terms of personality and visibility.

The Italian, who moved with Sagan from Bora-Hansgrohe, noted that Remco Evenepoel could have the potential to reach that level of stardom, which led to Sagan drawing a comparison between him and the young Belgian.

"There is a difference between Evenepoel and me," he said. "I was not created; I did it myself. The way I see it, Evenepoel is created by QuickStep."

It's a peculiar comment because frankly, the Evenepoel i'm seeing at QS is still very much the same Evenepoel i saw during his junior years before going to QS. Both as a rider as well as a person. Brazen, eager, panache with some hubris... Looks to me like old man Sagan has reached the age where everything used to be better and ''kids these days...''.

Reactions: Keram
The context from the article here is that his press officer starts comparing him to other riders in terms of star quality.

Yeah, saw that he was asked. Still odd.

It's a peculiar comment because frankly, the Evenepoel i'm seeing at QS is still very much the same Evenepoel i saw during his junior years before going to QS. Both as a rider as well as a person. Brazen, eager, panache with some hubris... Looks to me like old man Sagan has reached the age where everything used to be better and ''kids these days...''.

Indeed, I thought a particularly weird comment given how much Evenepoel had done before he even got to QS. I'm not even sure what it means that "Evenepoel is created by QuickStep". Doesn't remotely ring true.

Ah well. I like both riders. Sagan looks like he's kind of given up on being at the top though.

I really think that if you compare Sagan's rate of winning from before and after his 2018 Tour de France big crash, where he landed on his a** and had that Giant bruise on his Gluteus Maximus, I think he lost some power in his riding ever since then. Maybe some testing will reveal something or he just needs to train better or he lost what made him special. I hope that training and treatment can bring back some of his power. :)

I really think that if you compare Sagan's rate of winning from before and after his 2018 Tour de France big crash, where he landed on his a** and had that Giant bruise on his Gluteus Maximus, I think he lost some power in his riding ever since then. Maybe some testing will reveal something or he just needs to train better or he lost what made him special. I hope that training and treatment can bring back some of his power. :)

I think so too. Even if he rode well in Yorkshire and had a magical day in the 2020 Giro.

I had thought he had been declining a bit already, especially regarding climbing but then again, five days before his crash he had been two seconds slower than Alaphilippe on Mende and on the fateful day, he was among the last 25 in the peloton on the Col d'Azet. Then he probably wanted to catch the peloton before they started on the Portet just for fun and then disaster struck.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Lol. Evenepoel posterboys are complaining about totally basic comment. Nothing special there. I need to try really hard to see anything salty.
First of all, a posterboy isn't what you think it is, but it is a bit funny that you have a Sagan avatar picture. Secondly it is most definitely not a basic comment. Not only has it little merit as stated earlier, it was also a completely unnecessary and unprovoked remark. He's free to think that, but it's strange to go out of your way to point fingers at a colleague if it's not due to being salty. What other reason is there? He thought it would improve is chances to go to QuickStep in the future? He thought it would be interesting in case he was ever to face his colleague in a race situation to improve cooperation?

The comment itself made no sense, the reason to make it neither.

Even though I'd argue he is already considered somewhat of a star in Belgium, it wasn't about that. It was about the potential to become a star which doesn't only take into account wins/results but also personality and visibility.

This just shows that Sagan's opinion makes sense. Coming from a non-traditional cycling nation, in a not very strong Italian team, he had a very broken English and at 22 he was already one of the biggest names in cycling in both achievement and personality. He achieved this on his own.

What his English has to do with anything?
And Liquigas was a quite strong team.

English is the primary language of international communication. It plays quite an important role in marketing and business, which has been the subject of the last few posts.

Actually Liquigas were ranked thrid in the world when they signed Sagan.

Sure, in 2010 Basso won the Giro and Nibali the Vuelta. But Sagan was only 19 at the time. He became a star at 22. In 2013 and 2014, the Liquigas weren't even in the top 15, despite having (one of) the best cyclists.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts