• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Peter Sagan - Sprinter, Classics Rider, Grand Tour Contender?

Just interested know what kind of rider everyone thinks Sagan will develop into. Plainly he is extremely gifted in an all around sense so could he perhaps be a Grand Tour contender with a few more years of honing his climbing behind him?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I'd hesitate to call him a GT contender until we see how he climbs on much longer steep grades than we have seen him on so far. He certainly seems to have a good kick both on the flat and uphill so I would see him as a classics rider, at least for the next few years.

Publicus said:
Can we finish Paris-Nice before we crown him the second coming of Merckx?

Yes, I'm curious to see how he'll do tomorrow. He's got 20-30 seconds advantage on contador, rodriguez, valverde, s. sanchez, think he'll be able to keep a good GC position? Have to say I've no idea how he goes on climbs like this, I'd never heard of him before he went with Valverde at TdU. Looked strong there, but looks to me more like a classics type than a real climber.?

zapata said:
Yes, I'm curious to see how he'll do tomorrow. He's got 20-30 seconds advantage on contador, rodriguez, valverde, s. sanchez, think he'll be able to keep a good GC position? Have to say I've no idea how he goes on climbs like this, I'd never heard of him before he went with Valverde at TdU. Looked strong there, but looks to me more like a classics type than a real climber.?

He only has 14 seconds on Contador. I really don't know where he will finish, since he claims he will be working for Kreuzinger, so he may pop on Mende. Plus there are still two other mountain stages to go, so he could end up pretty high on the GC or low--all depending on how things go.

I've not seen enough of him to decide what type of rider he is or will be. He's only 20, so his body is still developing.

Oh, contador will pass him, for sure. The other ones as well, probably. But if he can hang on, and drop Voigt, might be a good placing after all. Kreuziger is only something like ten seconds behind him, though, and seems to be pretty jealous of teammates going well, so I guess he'd best content himself with one stage win and be a good teammate.

zapata said:
Oh, contador will pass him, for sure. The other ones as well, probably. But if he can hang on, and drop Voigt, might be a good placing after all. Kreuziger is only something like ten seconds behind him, though, and seems to be pretty jealous of teammates going well, so I guess he'd best content himself with one stage win and be a good teammate.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I think team dynamics are going to stunt his development for a bit. We won't know his true potential until he gets a little more freedom.

Publicus said:
I think you hit the nail on the head. I think team dynamics are going to stunt his development for a bit. We won't know his true potential until he gets a little more freedom.
Yes, Peter Sagan has definitely been held back by his team so far :confused:
I don't think he'll have to do much work for Kreuziger tomorrow. If he's stronger than Roman on the climb to Mende --which I don't believe-- he'll be allowed to go ahead. Why the hell not?

Publicus said:

theyoungest said:
Yes, Peter Sagan has definitely been held back by his team so far :confused:
I don't think he'll have to do much work for Kreuziger tomorrow. If he's stronger than Roman on the climb to Mende --which I don't believe-- he'll be allowed to go ahead. Why the hell not?

As you can see, that's not what I said. I was talking on a go forward basis.

zapata said:

I think the only Liquigas rider Kreuziger has a problem with is Basso for obvious reasons. I understand he has a good relationship with Nibali but I'm not sure about Pellizzotti.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:
I've not seen enough of him to decide what type of rider he is or will be. He's only 20, so his body is still developing.

Yes, thanks.

I wonder how many of the "next greats" in cycling, soccer/football, whatever sport (and many other professions for that matter) are derailed and have their potential stunted by overly high expectations too early in their life. Too many watchers and managers wanting to be "the first to pick him" and the kid ends up in the pressure cooker when he should still be riding in pj's (oh wait, different post) ... but how many white jersey winners even become team leaders let alone GT winners?

Which is not to say I'm not impressed with him today!

cyclopeon said:
... but how many white jersey winners even become team leaders let alone GT winners?

Which is not to say I'm not impressed with him today!

Most of them.

1983 Laurent Fignon (FRA) Renault 1st
1984 Greg LeMond (USA) Renault 3rd

1986 Andrew Hampsten (USA) La Vie Claire 4th

1994 Marco Pantani (ITA) Carrera 3rd
1995 Marco Pantani (ITA) Carrera 13th
1996 Jan Ullrich (GER) Team Telekom 2nd
1997 Jan Ullrich (GER) Team Telekom 1st
1998 Jan Ullrich (GER) Team Telekom 2nd

2002 Ivan Basso (ITA) Fassa Bortolo 11th
2003 Denis Menchov (RUS) iBanesto.com 11th

2006 Damiano Cunego (ITA) Lampre-Fondital 12th
2007 Alberto Contador (ESP) Discovery Channel 1st
2008 Andy Schleck (LUX) Team CSC Saxo Bank 12th
2009 Andy Schleck (LUX) Team Saxo Bank 2nd

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
I'd hesitate to call him a GT contender until we see how he climbs on much longer steep grades than we have seen him on so far. He certainly seems to have a good kick both on the flat and uphill so I would see him as a classics rider, at least for the next few years.

ardenne classic rider... TDU performance on wilunga was awesome!

TRENDING THREADS