• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Phil and Paul

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Phil really likes Kessiakoff I guess, still talking about him today.

"Sagan again is still being pushed away from this, as Kessiakoff starts to go and Del-gen-kolb on the right."

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
quiqui said:
I love Phil and Paul for the great phrases they come up with, like this little gem from Paul today: "If they were on a long straight road, everybody would be able to see themselves".

So today we had Paul on repeat:

"Remember, these are men of the flatlands". "He will not lay down arms" and the sprinters "popping off the back".

Then it was " This 23 year old Quintana from Boyaca at 3000 meters" after every ad break. Is Paul taking backhanders from the Colombian Tourist Authority? Phil was just moaning in delight at this point.

Then of course there was every variation of "golden fleece", "yellow fleece", " sprouting wings" and even "sprouting two pairs of wings" for good measure.

And picture break-up? Probably due to "the massive amounts of vegetation the riders are going through" according to PS.

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
therealtimshady said:
Itv4 decision to go for a break on the final climb upto ax-3-domaines was shocking and subsequently missed froomes attack

It looks like the race TV missed it because it was not available on tonight's roundup although the video actually was recovered for that period. The directors appeared simply to have switched the chosen images to followers at the moment Froome left Porte.

It didn't matter though did it? :mad:

InterestedSpectator said:
It looks like the race TV missed it because it was not available on tonight's roundup although the video actually was recovered for that period. The directors appeared simply to have switched the chosen images to followers at the moment Froome left Porte.

It didn't matter though did it? :mad:

Can't understand the stupidity of an ad break on the summit finish - only time I can recall it happening before was in 2010 on the tourmalet which was embarresing enough

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
therealtimshady said:
Can't understand the stupidity of an ad break on the summit finish - only time I can recall it happening before was in 2010 on the tourmalet which was embarresing enough

See my post. Usually they will show a repeat of an incident when they go back but this time there was nothing to show because the race tv missed it.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
How about Phil's breaking news that he "just received word that the yellow jersey has been dropped" Seconds later the yellow jersey is seen in the main group

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I really wish Paul would stop comparing the riders to Marathon runners or "endurance runners", he did it about three times today within 5 minutes of commentating.

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
SaxonUK said:
I really wish Paul would stop comparing the riders to Marathon runners or "endurance runners", he did it about three times today within 5 minutes of commentating.

Sprinters are like sprinters.

Also I was starting to wonder where Quintana was from after it hadn't been mentioned for 5 minutes.

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Cyivel said:
Sprinters are like sprinters.

Also I was starting to wonder where Quintana was from after it hadn't been mentioned for 5 minutes.

Did you know that Quintana is from Columbia and he is in fact a Columbian rider?

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I guess we all can't be football, cricket, tennis commentators etc - call things on the spot, use a little background history in their opinions.

Paul and Phil's knowledge on the sport and the area where the stages are run is second to none in my experience of following sport commentating.

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
darwin553 said:
I guess we all can't be football, cricket, tennis commentators etc - call things on the spot, use a little background history in their opinions.

Paul and Phil's knowledge on the sport and the area where the stages are run is second to none in my experience of following sport commentating.
The information about where the stages are run is literally given to them by ASO. I assume Paul Sherwen is reading from a script when he says everything he does.

As far as knowledge of the sport, seriously? Ever hear Daniel Lloyd commentate? How about Magnus Backstedt? Both are far superior analysts to Sherwen.

I'll give Phil Liggett this one...as long as he's getting the names right, he's very good at calling a sprint. Unfortunately, that makes him far better suited to covering track cycling than road racing. A play-by-play cycling commentator has to be able to draw storylines from content, because road cycling doesn't provide moment-to-moment action. Frankly, Liggett fails in this regard.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
SetonHallPirate said:
The information about where the stages are run is literally given to them by ASO. I assume Paul Sherwen is reading from a script when he says everything he does.

As far as knowledge of the sport, seriously? Ever hear Daniel Lloyd commentate? How about Magnus Backstedt? Both are far superior analysts to Sherwen.

I'll give Phil Liggett this one...as long as he's getting the names right, he's very good at calling a sprint. Unfortunately, that makes him far better suited to covering track cycling than road racing. A play-by-play cycling commentator has to be able to draw storylines from content, because road cycling doesn't provide moment-to-moment action. Frankly, Liggett fails in this regard.

Nah they deserve the limelight :)

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
darwin553 said:

My Word :eek:

BigRingAbuse said:
So today we had Paul on repeat:

"Remember, these are men of the flatlands". "He will not lay down arms" and the sprinters "popping off the back".

Then it was " This 23 year old Quintana from Boyaca at 3000 meters" after every ad break. Is Paul taking backhanders from the Colombian Tourist Authority? Phil was just moaning in delight at this point.

Then of course there was every variation of "golden fleece", "yellow fleece", " sprouting wings" and even "sprouting two pairs of wings" for good measure.

And picture break-up? Probably due to "the massive amounts of vegetation the riders are going through" according to PS.

HAHA!! Love all this stuff! "And let's not forget"...

...Pretty hard too when you repeat the same phrases ten times in each broadcast :D

To give them some slack though, I reckon that anyone who has to ramble for hours on end about the same subject (in this case cycling) will probably find themselves stumbling into similar phrase territory often.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Paul also made some dumb comment about descending last night. Something about losing metres of altitude which is why we are descending. Was rather odd.