• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Phil and Paul

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Referring to the hooligans throwing tacks "they should be shot" (agreed but a no no on the air) a few minutes later he apologized and said it was his own opinion Phil that is

Paul "to get the jump in a small break you have to use the element of surprise"

I wonder what the 44th floor at NBC thinks of this thread?

and every time their is a cross wing paul goes into his aero echelon for dummies explanation. which is nothing short of "buffalo girls go round the outside round the outside....." at least they dont show the flow chart anymore.

If I had to choose I'd take the novelty of Phils ooops moments over Pauls fiction and the imaginary dialog he creates for some ridrs.

"he (any rider of favor) is saying to the other boys": "right boys this is the time and the time is mine and you either follow me of stay behind because my legs are fresh and I read your mind and blau blah blah" really he is saying that paul?

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
About the 28 tacks in the road...if you listen you will almost hear Paul's brain cell's firing...

"Phil, I am just getting word that there were 28 tacks on the road" .. brain synapses at it's finest..."I am not, I am not sure how they know that"

I actually like Paul/Phil now...it's kind of enjoyable like an aloof uncle who's had to many beers on thanksgiving holiday

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
BTW, someone should splice up YOUTUBE video of P/P's greatest hits,,,,I bet it would get 100,000 hits

I just watched Beloki's 2003 Crash when Armstrong goes through the field. I wanted to see just how crazy PP get and it did not fail. In the midst of Paul's excitment he somehow manages to work Vinokourov into the crash but only subsequently. Remember Vino is 20 seconds ahead of the group and it's pretty clear this is a 2 man crash. He remarks "Oh and I think Vinokourov has gone down as well"

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
ericthesportsman6 said:
Phil and Paul's incompetence used to annoy me but now I think they're awesome. A constant source of entertainment in a rather dull race.

Agreed. There can never be any malice involved when Paul "doing a great job of work" Sherwen and Phil "Marcoss ZOObeldiya/Dreezzz Dayeynanzz" Ligett are crooning their magic. It is colouring the Bore de France.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
joe_papp said:
Welcome.

Did anyone notice today how Phil was raging and raving-on about the tacks on the road yesterday (which I agree was a despicable, cowardly, evil thing to do), and he straight up said that "whoever was responsible for the tacks should be shot!" (paraphrasing, but he did say, "SHOT.") :eek:

And then when NBCSports came back after commercial break, the first thing Phil had to say was (paraphrasing), "Of course there previously when I said that whoever put the tacks on the road should be SHOT, I didn't mean that literally, and besides, that opinion is my own, and doesn't reflect the views of my employer or this network." lol!! :rolleyes:

LOL!

Missed that but I did hear Phil promising a shoot out in the Pyrenees on Wednesday. I wonder what he has in mind? :eek:

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I can kind of agree with that...

BigRingAbuse said:
Agreed. There can never be any malice involved when Paul "doing a great job of work" Sherwen and Phil "Marcoss ZOObeldiya/Dreezzz Dayeynanzz" Ligett are crooning their magic. It is colouring the Bore de France.

Just the other day I was getting nostalgic for Bob "Tour Day France" Roll. Remember back when he thought it was sooo clever to pronounce "de" as "day"? He doesn't do that now, just stumbles around and fails at hyperbole.... Go Buffoon Day France!

P and P add spice to the Tour, but its more like they add MSG. Tastes great at first, then cloys, then gives you a pain in the neck and too much makes you sick.

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
One of my favourite P and P moments is when wonderboy goes down due to a spectator at the side of the road 2003?.. paul keeps repeating "its a problem with his pedal"... the best bit is when Paul chips in "he almost lost his manhood on the crossbar"...:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaKR5iOCTts

It is classic P and P, absolutely ridiculous commentary about a ridiculous race!

Pedal problem!

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
During every stage they spend time explaining what pelotons, slip streams, and race radios are. That's why you don't like them: because you're a fan of the sport. These guys are great for the man who knows nothing of bikes. "Fabian Fabulous Cancellara!"

Honestly want I hate the most is how they always sound like they're trying to figure out which one is going to talk. Phil bullies the sht out of Paul. Paul is Phil's little hand-maiden b*tch

Jul 8, 2009
www.edwardgtalbot.com
pot belge said:
One of my favourite P and P moments is when wonderboy goes down due to a spectator at the side of the road 2003?.. paul keeps repeating "its a problem with his pedal"... the best bit is when Paul chips in "he almost lost his manhood on the crossbar"...:D

Lol, I remember that one - that was actually great! If we got 10 or 15 comments like that every broadcast, this thread would have a very different tone.

Gotta say, like another commenter a few pages back, now that I've found this thread, the mistakes are no longer bothering me as much. Still notice them, but now it's like some kind of inside joke.

Paul: Mark Cavendish is flying the F$g ???? wtf

I am seriously wondering if he meant the british slang for cigarette. But it was Paul.
Regardless, not that there's anything wrong with that, People's personal sexual preferences are nobody's business but their own!

[It's from Seinfeld, Susan, stop tripping please.]

No one caught this today???? c'mon.
It will make me wonder in the future when he mentions the 'heads of state'.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
mombus said:
During every stage they spend time explaining what pelotons, slip streams, and race radios are. That's why you don't like them: because you're a fan of the sport. These guys are great for the man who knows nothing of bikes. "Fabian Fabulous Cancellara!"

Honestly want I hate the most is how they always sound like they're trying to figure out which one is going to talk. Phil bullies the sht out of Paul. Paul is Phil's little hand-maiden b*tch

I personally see it as Paul bullying Phil. I remember in 2010 how Paul humiliated Phil about what races he did in his day. He mocked him on air. Then there is the bad breath rumours that Paul supposedly started.:p

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
knewcleardaze said:
Was it Paul today that said Tyler Farrar was riding himself back into the race???? What a hoot!
I believe he is still the lanterne rouge!

No he said Tyler moved up 6 places today because of the 6 abandons

A

Anonymous

As a casual viewer of the sport I find the P and P commentary very helpful indeed. On the irritations, you have to remember that they have to keep talking and repeating information as otherwise there would be no commentary for edited highlights and the bookends of commercial breaks.

Just go and make a cup of tea when the boring bits feature. I (and the other millions) just like looking at France to decide where to take my holidays (it was the same on the Vuelta).

If you find P and P irritating, what about the antipodean chap on the Vuelta. His intonations were amazingly illogical. I have tried to imitate them but its an impossibility. Actually I found it quite fascinating as well as irritating!

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm expecting Wiggins to "turn himself inside out" while he gets that "big Diesel engine going", while behind him Nibali "reaches deep into his suitcase of courage" as the "heads of State of this years tour" cycle up the climbs at "around 100 pedal revolutions every minute"

..."and you know what? I think this guy's cracked Paul!"

pot belge said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaKR5iOCTts

It is classic P and P, absolutely ridiculous commentary about a ridiculous race!

Pedal problem!

The "problem with the pedal" quote came after the initial fall and when Wonderboy was trying to accelerate back up to Basso, Hamilton and Ullrich, when he clipped out of his pedal and again almost took out Mayo who had already been taken down when he couldn't avoid him. It was later found out that his frame had been cracked in some manner (chain stay?).

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Another one for the philism highlight (lowlight?) list, talking about a team at the Tour Down Under a few years ago.

"An international team of Australians"

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
A small collection of bon mots from the Two Buffoons on stage 14 (had to watch the NBC on-demand):

"doing a little bit of no work" - Phil
"a smither of dampness" - Phil (Is this an British term? If so my apologies)
"as they say in French, he's going around these corners in squares" - quoted in English - Paul
"they've got to be sending frighteners down the bunch" - Phil
"everybody is having a hard day in the main field" (Cav is on the front, on a climb) - Paul
"he's in eighth place in the overall standings, that 1 minute 40 seconds will have him move up into eighth place overall" - Paul (no correction)

Just to be fair, I made sure to listen to the quotes at least twice to make sure. This thread has made watching P&P entertaining again. Thanks!