• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Phil Gaimon's Magic Cookies?

Phil recently did 455w at 66kg up Norton Summit on Jan 16th 2019. His mutant wattage at super skinny 66kg raised a lot of eyebrows. At the top he was super fresh and looked like it was nothing. Easily could have ridden another 10 mins at that pace meaning his FTP would be about 455x0.95 = 432w @66kg.

To Vayer that is mutant watts. It is to me as well. The only similar freak show effort Ive seen like that was when I was riding with LLS and Valverde in 2009/2010...

So how does Phil Gaimon destroy dopers with is new insane w/kg FTP stuff?

We know he wasn't good enough to make it in the peloton and has now resorted to 'battling' doping on Twitter and other social media, like a real white Knight. We also know he is a big hypocrite when it comes to the good doper/bad doper narrative. So would we have to be surprised if he turns out to be a huge hypocrite on first point as well?

Uh, I don't actually care what he is on or putting into his body. I just wish he was more watchable. All those videos, but I can't stand to watch them for more than a minute or two. His personality doesn't do it for me.

durianrider said:
Phil recently did 455w at 66kg up Norton Summit on Jan 16th 2019. His mutant wattage at super skinny 66kg raised a lot of eyebrows. At the top he was super fresh and looked like it was nothing. Easily could have ridden another 10 mins at that pace meaning his FTP would be about 455x0.95 = 432w @66kg.

To Vayer that is mutant watts. It is to me as well. The only similar freak show effort Ive seen like that was when I was riding with LLS and Valverde in 2009/2010...

So how does Phil Gaimon destroy dopers with is new insane w/kg FTP stuff?

Curious where the numbers came from, are they self-reported from Gaimon, or taken by someone else? Looked on Strava for what Norton Summit is, (never heard of it) and it comes up as 5.6k at 5%. Is that about right?

Wondering why he'd not be fresh after what appears to be a relatively short climb. Honestly don't know much about Gaimon or what he's been doing, so lacking a lot of the context which seems to be assumed in your post.

He's got the KOM apparently on our local test climb, Old La Honda, at 13:26 for a 4.8k climb at 8%. https://www.strava.com/activities/983343009

"Sorry not sorry bay area". What a douche. Just kick ass and shut up IMO.

Re:

nayr497 said:
Uh, I don't actually care what he is on or putting into his body. I just wish he was more watchable. All those videos, but I can't stand to watch them for more than a minute or two. His personality doesn't do it for me.

Agreed. I wish the guy all the best. He can climb a mountain with ease, and it very impressive to see. But he is as interesting as dry toast. Maybe don't quit your day job, if you know what I am saying. Go back to the pro ranks of cycling and put the hurt on.
Gotta agree with Durianrider, but note to Phil: Pick your friends more wisely.

ppanther92 said:
red_flanders said:
He's got the KOM apparently on our local test climb, Old La Honda, at 13:26 for a 4.8k climb at 8%. https://www.strava.com/activities/983343009

"Sorry not sorry bay area". What a douche. Just kick *** and shut up IMO.

Lol, what an idiot...

The numbers are from Strava. 16th Jan 2019. 455w for 11:14 which smashed the old solo record by a lot. 66kg super skinny. That is about 6.89w/kg.

Then he lands in Colombia and smashes 50kg local Colombian riders on a 90km climb at altitude lol. Fastest solo time on that climb too.

I told him in private that I didnt think he was natty and he lost his cookies lol! Then started sledging me online etc so I threw some back and now he is threatening legal action lol.

durianrider said:
ppanther92 said:
red_flanders said:

"Sorry not sorry bay area". What a douche. Just kick *** and shut up IMO.

Lol, what an idiot...

The numbers are from Strava. 16th Jan 2019. 455w for 11:14 which smashed the old solo record by a lot. 66kg super skinny. That is about 6.89w/kg.

Then he lands in Colombia and smashes 50kg local Colombian riders on a 90km climb at altitude lol. Fastest solo time on that climb too.

I told him in private that I didnt think he was natty and he lost his cookies lol! Then started sledging me online etc so I threw some back and now he is threatening legal action lol.

I guess I'm just always super skeptical about self-reported weight, but that's an aside to your point I realize.

Re: Re:

the delgados said:
nayr497 said:

Agreed. I wish the guy all the best. He can climb a mountain with ease, and it very impressive to see. But he is as interesting as dry toast. Maybe don't quit your day job, if you know what I am saying. Go back to the pro ranks of cycling and put the hurt on.
Gotta agree with Durianrider, but note to Phil: Pick your friends more wisely.

He already did 'quit the day job'...and by all accounts he's doing very nicely indeed for himself, financially speaking.

Its amazing how much money people can make these days just by posting stuff on social media :Neutral:

Hey there, brownbobby.
I get it. That was my lame attempt at a joke. I wish Phil all the best, but my point was his social media presence is, to put it mildly, lame. He is dull. You know, not adept at humour. That is not necessarily a knock (see my attempts at humour) and good for him if he gains a lot of attention and likes. Whatever floats yer boat.

I am almost totally naïve, but I firmly believe we have some sock puppets on this thread. Guess who they are.

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
All I can guess is there's a drive to prove, to himself, that he wasn't a WT flunkie, despite being a WT flunkie. Imagine he's riding, training, Strava "racing" and putting out these numbers and times, all the while couldn't even get off the bench when racing for JV. That has to leave a mark. Moreover, still at an age and performing (clean or not) to such a level as to constantly fall alseep thinking "I could/should be doing XYZ in the WT peloton.".

A prison without walls is what I see. Kudos for pedaling and paying his bills tho.

ClassicomanoLuigi said:
Meanwhile, far away, Riccardo Riccò has found inner peace in selling ice cream, in order to take his mind off the bike completely. I admire that approach a lot more than Gaimon's endless cookies public freak-show
That might not be a fair comparison, considering the years Riccò devoted to his own and much worse freak show.

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
A quick reality check-

Phil was a really legit climber here in the US, and just didnt quite have the genetics at WT level. No secret.

He has found a way to make a sort-of living riding a bicycle and filming it- good for him. Id love to make a living riding my bicycle.

Now, he is specifically training for these type of efforts. There is zero chance he could do them at the end of a 5 hour day, or he would still be racing the WT. He specializes in smashing short-ish climbs. He did come close to Horner on the Palomar climb, but there are differences: Horner did his effort as part of a six hour day; Phil did his effort after a 15min warm up. https://www.strava.com/segments/273807

I dont "know" that Phil is clean, but I can suggest that there is absolutely nothing for him to gain by doping now. No one cares if he gets KoM's, and his income isnt dependent on it.
Durianrider getting dropped by Phil isnt really surprising. Durian has cat3 power, and while very fit for a 40-something guy, isnt on the same planet as Phil- or any other Conti-pro level climber. Full stop.

Re:

.Froomestrong. said:
A quick reality check-

Phil was a really legit climber here in the US, and just didnt quite have the genetics at WT level. No secret.

He has found a way to make a sort-of living riding a bicycle and filming it- good for him. Id love to make a living riding my bicycle.

Now, he is specifically training for these type of efforts. There is zero chance he could do them at the end of a 5 hour day, or he would still be racing the WT. He specializes in smashing short-ish climbs. He did come close to Horner on the Palomar climb, but there are differences: Horner did his effort as part of a six hour day; Phil did his effort after a 15min warm up. https://www.strava.com/segments/273807

I dont "know" that Phil is clean, but I can suggest that there is absolutely nothing for him to gain by doping now. No one cares if he gets KoM's, and his income isnt dependent on it.
Durianrider getting dropped by Phil isnt really surprising. Durian has cat3 power, and while very fit for a 40-something guy, isnt on the same planet as Phil- or any other Conti-pro level climber. Full stop.
Good take!

Re:

.Froomestrong. said:
A quick reality check-

Lots of truth bombs in there!

TRENDING THREADS