• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Phil Liggert claims Federal investigators paid people to lie about Armstrong

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
sittingbison said:
It would have to be a team mate of his from competitive days, either a bribe to lie or a payment for proof. The clinic has not uncovered the slightest shred of evidence, gossip, rumour or innuendo. Although some are trying REALLY hard.

The most telling "evidence" appears to be from his greatest competitor Laurent Fignon, who in his memoirs admits to doping himself, and despite having lost the TdF to LeMond in the infamous ITT, makes not the slightest allusion or inference that he suspected LeMond of doping.

And not a single soul has come forth and tried to take the bounty ;)

Excellent! And there will never be a credible source to claim he has, which is my point in asking whensvet the topic seems to.come up. Its been 18 yrs since his retirement, doesnt anyone think by now...someone somewhere wouldve brought something out saying he doped at some point? Of course.

Roland Rat said:
Ha, yes. "Irony? Is that that new haemoglobin boosting drug?"

Indeed, the only "irony" Lance understands:
hemassist.jpg

“It is politically motivated – they have a reason for doing this but it is not what they say, it is not to clean up the sport of cycling,” Liggert claimed. “There is another reason behind this which they are clearly not saying…there is an underlying reason for all of this, and they are not coming clean.”

What makes me laugh about this particular bit of the BS pr talking point is that there is never any articulation of the what an alternative 'political' reason might be. If the USADA's banning of dopers isn't done with the intention of cleaning up cycling (and triathlon. . .) then what could it possibly be with the intention of doing?

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
RownhamHill said:
“It is politically motivated – they have a reason for doing this but it is not what they say, it is not to clean up the sport of cycling,” Liggert claimed. “There is another reason behind this which they are clearly not saying…there is an underlying reason for all of this, and they are not coming clean.”

What makes me laugh about this particular bit of the BS pr talking point is that there is never any articulation of the what an alternative 'political' reason might be. If the USADA's banning of dopers isn't done with the intention of cleaning up cycling (and triathlon. . .) then what could it possibly be with the intention of doing?

I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles.

ebandit said:
gentlemen look on the bright side................ol' phil must be heading to join his idol

banned!

how could he ever commentate on sport ever again

any credibility is blown!

just like his idol

I like this. Perhaps Ballz can do us all another favour and interview Sherwen, Roll and the Antipodean Schmuck Tomalaris.

Maxiton said:
This looks a lot like Mcquaid's disastrous, desperate moves. They both look ridiculous and in each case it's potentially career ending - the type of thing in other words, you'd do only under duress.

Lance is going nuclear. That's clear. If he doesn't manage to overcome this and gets taken down for good I hope he goes completely apesh*t like Landis and blows the dirt on everyone.

I want to know what our man Ligget is so desperate to keep hidden. Other than financial malfeasance, what is it that most often leaves people vulnerable to blackmail?

I'm with you. Most pass Phil off as a doddering old fool.

But what we see in the clip was premeditated, calculated and very nasty. He's knows exactly what he's doing.

Phil's got something to hide. He knows the score and is up to his neck in it.

What's he hiding? I'm not sure but it's not good.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:

But what we see in the clip was premeditated, calculated and very nasty. He's knows exactly what he's doing.

Good point, but why wouldn't he just say this crap when he is on prime time international TV instead of a radio station in Africa?

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
If someone has knowledge, or even proof, of a serious crime aren't they obliged to report this to the police? If Phil Liggett has proof of witnesses being bribed and keeps it to himself doesn't that make him complicit?

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm not on Twitter, but I'd be interested to see the response from Liggett if someone tweeted him to ask whether he'll still be in denial if George Hincapie is one of the "10+" people who have testified against Armstrong, as widely believed.

Probably the response will be...silence.

HL2037 said:
If someone has knowledge, or even proof, of a serious crime aren't they obliged to report this to the police? If Phil Liggett has proof of witnesses being bribed and keeps it to himself doesn't that make him complicit?

Then it he'll have to change his name to Phil 'Leg it'.

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
HL2037 said:

Well he hasn't proof of it (unless he was wired !) so there'd be nothing to report. That's not to say he isn't complicit of course, but not in the inner circle. If Armstrong was a battle tank, Phil would be the supplementary armour or wire mesh bolted to the sides that gets blown off at the first attack.

thehog said:

He was, obviously, ordered to say that. I'm pretty sure he had the script written beforehand.
Btw, I don't understand what do you mean by hiding?

Is anybody still wondering he's not in Lance's inner circle? :rolleyes:

Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Good point, but why wouldn't he just say this crap when he is on prime time international TV instead of a radio station in Africa?

Exactly. He knew what he was doing and he wanted to "filter" into the public domain the lies and make it fact. The reason he didn't do it on ITV or NBC is they have a much higher standard than an internet radio station.

Someone might want to email they radio station to look at the furole they've created!

Sad to say that the announcers are being hoodwinked by Phil and he's using them in his little game of deceit.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Northern rider said:
Well he hasn't proof of it (unless he was wired !) so there'd be nothing to report. That's not to say he isn't complicit of course, but not in the inner circle. If Armstrong was a battle tank, Phil would be the supplementary armour or wire mesh bolted to the sides that gets blown off at the first attack.

He said on the radio show that he could prove it if necessary.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
Exactly. He knew what he was doing and he wanted to "filter" into the public domain the lies and make it fact. The reason he didn't do it on ITV or NBC is they have a much higher standard than an internet radio station.

Someone might want to email they radio station to look at the furole they've created!

Sad to say that the announcers are being hoodwinked by Phil and he's using them in his little game of deceit.
Seeing what the man has said I tend to think you are giving him way too much credit. The guy is too stupid to come up with such a 'cunning'

baldrick.jpg

plan.

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
True, but he also said a whole lot of other ********. He'd either have to have a recording, or other witnesses, or corroboration from the mysterious person he was talking to. Maybe he's got 10 other people who'll say they heard it as well.

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:

I'd say he's been hiding his objectivity, pronunciation skills, eloquence, wit and race analysis skills.
For quite some time.

I can't decide if he is a doddery old fool or a baldrick.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
red_flanders said:
Seems to me that quite frankly having media outlets publish this unsubstantiated nonsense gives it more credence than it's worth.

Maybe better to tweet Phil and ask him for some evidence of his claims.

Extraordinary claims need extraordinary proof and all that....not that claiming Armstrong was using is in any way extraordinary...

That is a genius idea. Maybe all can get together on Twitter and demand that Phil gives proof…..links ….evidence…or else face a lifetime ban from Cycling News and Twitter. :D:eek:
Meanwhile I will join everyone else on twitter and just pile on this old fart for being an idiot who thinks he speaks for cycling. Most effective tweet and retweet being “Phil is a intern troll or YOU are BPC”. :D

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Glenn_Wilson said:
That is a genius idea. Maybe all can get together on Twitter and demand that Phil gives proof…..links ….evidence…or else face a lifetime ban from Cycling News and Twitter. :D:eek:
Meanwhile I will join everyone else on twitter and just pile on this old fart for being an idiot who thinks he speaks for cycling. Most effective tweet and retweet being “Phil is a intern troll or YOU are BPC”. :D

Broomwagon blog on twitter speculates as to how Lance would express his displeasure to Phil. Readers of a squeamish disposition ought not to read it.

http://twitter.com/broomwagonblog

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
mastersracer said:
Orchestrated to let his cronies do his dirty work while LA takes the high road?

https://www.livestrong.org/now/?s_src=email&s_subsrc=lancevideo

(he's now doing the George Bush eye squint thing - is this a Texan tick - could also be his 'tell' revealing when he's lying)

Lance looks rattled, worried, and under pressure in that little clip of him. It appears to me he is having to work very hard at believing the truth of what he actually saying himself.

I wonder how far he can go? Can he go on forever in the face of overwhelming evidence, and legal and public opinion?

Does he have a breaking point, and if so, where is it?

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
CharacterFirst said:
Lance looks rattled, worried, and under pressure in that little clip of him. It appears to me he is having to work very hard at believing the truth of what he actually saying himself.
Agree with you, his head turning left too often, probably more than a twitch.