• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Phil Liggert claims Federal investigators paid people to lie about Armstrong

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
This could be a typical Liggett commentary screw-up with identities. Somewhere in the back recesses of his adled brain, he sort of recalled that someone was offered a pay-off. He blurted out that a person in Boulder was proffered money to accuse Armstrong. Paul was not there to point out his mistakes. A bit later he will bump into Paul, who will correct him. It will turn out that Liggett was in Boulder, and the offer was not to rat out Lance but to badmouth the USADA. By that time it will be pointless to mention it because any astute watcher will have already figured out his mistake.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
HELLO!!!???

Armstrong purportedly attempted to have LEMOND indicted by former teamates. With said bribes.

Read 23 pages o' replies, no mention.

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
It's laughable. Pure comedy.

Maybe Phil is laying the grounds for an insanity "defence" of his relationship with Lance. He'll keep coming out with lunacy such as this over the coming days and weeks and then can say "I haven't been of my full faculties for many years, I'm easily confused, that is how I was so easily taken in by Lance." lol

He is in quite a spot the poor old thing. He's going to look like a *** no matter what he says. But you'd think that would be enough to convince him to just shut the hell up!

This whole saga is the gift that keps on giving.... you couldn't make this stuff up!

May 10, 2011
Visit site
1912-so-much-win.jpg

Serious, my reaction as I was reading the podium cafe post.

[edit]

Some substance. http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...tion-witnesses-were-bribed.aspx#ixzz254NzZDxH

A mutual investment in a Ugandan gold mine? Orly? (might not be news here, but that's news to me)

BroDeal said:
This could be a typical Liggett commentary screw-up with identities. Somewhere in the back recesses of his adled brain, he sort of recalled that someone was offered a pay-off. He blurted out that a person in Boulder was proffered money to accuse Armstrong. Paul was not there to point out his mistakes. A bit later he will bump into Paul, who will correct him. It will turn out that Liggett was in Boulder, and the offer was not to rat out Lance but to badmouth the USADA. By that time it will be pointless to mention it because any astute watcher will have already figured out his mistake.

blackcat said:
HELLO!!!???

Armstrong purportedly attempted to have LEMOND indicted by former teamates. With said bribes.

Read 23 pages o' replies, no mention.

When Did this happen, or were/are you referring to the "I can get ten of your teammates to say you.doped too Greg" bs he's tried spewing for over a.decade as well,again with not 1 CREDIBLE source to back up said claim.

When

Microchip said:
I found that Liggett sounded desperate. If that's a correct conclusion, I can see why - the CN article noted that he has business interests with Lance. He must be pacing the floor every single night worrying to death about what's going to happen.

Yeah, I thought that too.

But I doubt it's to do with business interests. Liggett is 69 and already very wealthy. I'd put more money on LA having dirt on him (perhaps he got intimate with Candy on the jet?) and LA is blackmailing him.

Or maybe that's just giving Liggett too much credit.

sittingbison said:
In 2010 LeMond told the German newspaper Sueddeutsche Zeitung that Armstrong tried to pay someone $300,000 to say LeMond used a banned drug

Did the clinic ever come to a conclusion as to who the prime candidate for the bribe was? FLandis? (had private chats with Greg about doping so easy to claim, needed money...)

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Anyone remember these quotes from Liggett? Can you believe this guy has an MBE?

He told me in a private situation, when I wasn’t working as a journalist. I was sat in the bedroom some years ago, and I asked him point blank, ‘look Lance, the way I talked you up on television, I would have to back off and resign if you one day went positive’. And he looked at me and he said ‘man I’ve seen death in the face and I don’t take drugs.’ And that’s all he said. I have no reason to disbelieve him.”

Just sitting were we Phil?

Need any help packing your bags? I hear Angola is pretty sunny this time of year

“But I’ve been with him on his private jet when he’s been reading stuff on Cyclingnews and he’s gone, ‘god damn it look at what they’re saying about me again’ and he just passes his computer over to his friends.

Jeez! You guys upsetting poor Mr Armstrong like that!!!!!!

He-manuelle Sella said:
“But I’ve been with him on his private jet when he’s been reading stuff on Cyclingnews and he’s gone, ‘god damn it look at what they’re saying about me again’ and he just passes his computer over to his friends.

Why would Larry do that?

Maybe he is schizophrenic and "Lance" genuinely believes he was clean. Then he passes out, "Stuee" wakes up and does all the doping.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Roland Rat said:

But I doubt it's to do with business interests. Liggett is 69 and already very wealthy. I'd put more money on LA having dirt on him (perhaps he got intimate with Candy on the jet?) and LA is blackmailing him.

Amazing, I wonder if the Lance Haters catch the irony?

You see, Phil Ligget has at least one 'anonymous' witness on USADA. Looks like we'll have to make USADA a coercive deal wherein they meet at a location, time, and with a panel of Phil Liggets choosing to provide the evidence that he is lying?Othereise they have to dissolve as a federal agency.

Oh yes, he cannot name the name, because the Lance Haters would intimidate him into silence ... er, or make conspiratorial claims that someone has dirt on him ... but provide no evidence.

Its all kosher right?

Thanks Phil, for perfectly pointing on the utter hypocrisy of this entire situation.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Roland Rat said:

This looks a lot like Mcquaid's disastrous, desperate moves. They both look ridiculous and in each case it's potentially career ending - the type of thing in other words, you'd do only under duress.

Lance is going nuclear. That's clear. If he doesn't manage to overcome this and gets taken down for good I hope he goes completely apesh*t like Landis and blows the dirt on everyone.

I want to know what our man Ligget is so desperate to keep hidden. Other than financial malfeasance, what is it that most often leaves people vulnerable to blackmail?

gree0232 said:
Amazing, I wonder if the Lance Haters catch the irony?

You see, Phil Ligget has at least one 'anonymous' witness on USADA. Looks like we'll have to make USADA a coercive deal wherein they meet at a location, time, and with a panel of Phil Liggets choosing to provide the evidence that he is lying?Othereise they have to dissolve as a federal agency.

Oh yes, he cannot name the name, because the Lance Haters would intimidate him into silence ... er, or make conspiratorial claims that someone has dirt on him ... but provide no evidence.

Its all kosher right?

Thanks Phil, for perfectly pointing on the utter hypocrisy of this entire situation.

What, the irony of LA (by proxy) accusing the USADA of utilising the same tactics that he uses? Yes, that is pretty ironic.

Roland Rat said:
Did the clinic ever come to a conclusion as to who the prime candidate for the bribe was? FLandis? (had private chats with Greg about doping so easy to claim, needed money...)

It would have to be a team mate of his from competitive days, either a bribe to lie or a payment for proof. The clinic has not uncovered the slightest shred of evidence, gossip, rumour or innuendo. Although some are trying REALLY hard.

The most telling "evidence" appears to be from his greatest competitor Laurent Fignon, who in his memoirs admits to doping himself, and despite having lost the TdF to LeMond in the infamous ITT, makes not the slightest allusion or inference that he suspected LeMond of doping.

And not a single soul has come forth and tried to take the bounty ;)

TRENDING THREADS