• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Phil Liggett: Cycling will survive Armstrong disgrace

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
"This doping scandal, don't forget, is some years ago now, and most of these cyclists have retired, and if not, within one year they will be retired and there'll be nobody left from that era as a racing cyclist," said the man dubbed the voice of cycling."

Yeap they'll all be gone, Contador, The Schlecks, Kloden, all of them gone huh?

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Phil shouldn't be allowed to open his mouth to the media anymore. He's completely detached from the reality of the sport. He admitted to being fooled (or so he claimed) by his pal all these years, and he had insulted many people along the way for speaking against Armstrong, so he has no merit to speak on behalf of cycling.

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm confident that cycling will survive the disgrace of He who shall be forgotten.

I'm not so confident it will survive the Phil Liggett disgrace though.

He should have the moral fortitude to stick with his earlier committment to quit if He who has been forgotten was ever found guilty of doping.

In thinking about it, I think I'm going to use that term from now on:

Voldemort = He who shall not be named
Armstrong = He who shall be forgotten

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I would have more respect for Phil if he said

"Lance is my friend, I have always supported him. I always was the media underwriter for his commercial enterprise. I like him. I looked askance at his bullying ways. I regret that. I also wish I did not engage in vociferous invective against Vino and Landis. Because that was hypocritical. This is Cycling. This is not an undergraduate ethics class. Though it may well be used as a casestudy in an ethics class in some law school. Vive le Tour. This may have been deceit, but man's history is a repetition of myths, accomplishments, plus conflict and deceit. You need to personally assess the validity of the miracle, and not allow a mouthpiece to narrate it"

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Sheesh. I came on looking to add one post to the "Reactions" thread, and what do I get? Tons of interesting junk!

Ok - here we go!

TheEnoculator said:
Phil . . . admitted to being fooled (or so he claimed) by his pal all these years, and he had insulted many people along the way for speaking against Armstrong, so he has no merit to speak on behalf of cycling.
Phil insulted many people? Yeah, you know, he DID. Exactly that. He insulted a heck of a lot of cycling people with that nonsense! FactCheck? True.

LongSprint said:
Originally Posted by CPAvelo
"It's hard to say, but Lance Armstrong has done a lot of good as well during his 12 years at the top," Liggett said on Tuesday.
Phil opens his mouth to change feet.
FactCheck? False. Lance DID do a lot to promote cycling. That does not, in any way, make him any less guilty - but his influence generated a lot of race viewers, and a lot of sponsorship dollars. Please, let us not throw out the baby with the bathwater - we should remember events as clearly as possible - even when we have been insulted and ridiculed.

peterst6906 said:
I'm confident that cycling will survive the disgrace of He who shall be forgotten.

He should have the moral fortitude to stick with his earlier committment to quit if He who has been forgotten was ever found guilty of doping.

"He Who Shall Be Forgotten" - I like it.

blackcat said:
I would have more respect for Phil if he said

"Lance is my friend, I have always supported him. I always was the media underwriter for his commercial enterprise. I like him. I looked askance at his bullying ways. I regret that. I also wish I did not engage in vociferous invective against Vino and Landis. Because that was hypocritical. This is Cycling. This is not an undergraduate ethics class. Though it may well be used as a casestudy in an ethics class in some law school. Vive le Tour. This may have been deceit, but man's history is a repetition of myths, accomplishments, plus conflict and deceit. You need to personally assess the validity of the miracle, and not allow a mouthpiece to narrate it"
I agree. I would have more respect for Phil if he said those things, too. But, he probably won't. It has become patently obvious, imo, that Phil is not the brightest bulb on the tree, even while he is one of the more presentable speakers in that group.
But, the ETHICS class example idea. I REALLY like that! And, you know, I think this WOULD be a good example case for an ethics class! Good idea!

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
hiero2 said:
Sheesh. I came on looking to add one post to the "Reactions" thread, and what do I get? Tons of interesting junk!

Ok - here we go!

Phil insulted many people? Yeah, you know, he DID. Exactly that. He insulted a heck of a lot of cycling people with that nonsense! FactCheck? True.

FactCheck? False. Lance DID do a lot to promote cycling. That does not, in any way, make him any less guilty - but his influence generated a lot of race viewers, and a lot of sponsorship dollars. Please, let us not throw out the baby with the bathwater - we should remember events as clearly as possible - even when we have been insulted and ridiculed.

"He Who Shall Be Forgotten" - I like it.

I agree. I would have more respect for Phil if he said those things, too. But, he probably won't. It has become patently obvious, imo, that Phil is not the brightest bulb on the tree, even while he is one of the more presentable speakers in that group.
But, the ETHICS class example idea. I REALLY like that! And, you know, I think this WOULD be a good example case for an ethics class! Good idea!

I do not think this is true.

Phil is smart like fox. I don't think he says anything that he doesn't mean to say.

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Phil, you can help the cause by having cycling survive through announcing you are removing yourself from any and all commentary for good. You're from the era of doping, which is not your fault, but you're an apologist for the most heinous individuals involved and that is a conscious decision you're still making. Now please, remove yourself from the room and don't let the door hit you on the way out !

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
CPAvelo said:
Here is the link: http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1704069/Phil-Liggett-Cycling-will-survive-Armstrong-disgra

"It's hard to say, but Lance Armstrong has done a lot of good as well during his 12 years at the top," Liggett said on Tuesday.

Obviously difficult for Phil Liggett to deal with all the disgrace. But, will cycling survive this?

Rabobank pulled the plug on it's sponsorship. Maybe if stakes are lowered, the sport can become clean.

what a load of bull**** can he pls shut up or die

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Lance did much good for cycling?
Come on, he was the bully behind the biggest fraud in sports for heaven's sake.

It's like saying Stalin did a lot for humanity. Stop the BS.

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Given how active Liggett has been in perpetuating the Armstrong myth, I think there are pretty good grounds for kicking him out of the sport in the interests of cleaning it up (along with all the dodgy DSs etc.). The added bonus of course is getting rid of a truly terrible commentator.

hiero2 said:
FactCheck? False. Lance DID do a lot to promote cycling. That does not, in any way, make him any less guilty - but his influence generated a lot of race viewers, and a lot of sponsorship dollars.

Too many false assumptions here. This generally false observation a pet peeve of mine.

While "promoting cycling" what did Wonderboy actually do?

-Promote the TdF? Yeah, pretty much.
-Sell more bikes globally? No. The retail bike industry grows when access improves. What you are seeing in most industrialized nations is improved multi-use access. If you want to argue Trek's benefit, then recognize they changed to a vertical market model that has generated much better profit margins during Wonderboy's reign. Nevermind the different types of bikes sold exploded too.
-Generate more USAC members? No. No way.
-Generate more casual riders? No. The vast majority leave after figuring out the sport doesn't get any easier and that the industry lied about a $5K bike making them faster.
-Generate sponsor dollars? Perhaps, but this is impossible to quantify. I'd argue the it benefitted Tailwind owners the most. Most of the riders were over-promised prize money payouts.
-Generate competitive cycling awareness? No. "That Tour de France race" is about all the awareness generated.

Does it seem funny to anyone that Pat and Phil say practically the same thing? Phil played Pat's message perfectly. That guy is much smarter than most give credit.

Hein is dictator for life. Pat's not going anywhere, Phil's not going anywhere. The sport is moving on from a dark era to a cleaner one. Just like the last three doping scandals.

peterst6906 said:

I like it, but disagree.

Oct 22 is Cycling Remembrance Day.

We must not forget.

Dave.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
No, Lance did a lot to promote himself. The fact that the cycling industry benefited was a secondary effect. Lance cared about one thing: himself. Defrauding the sport a decade doesn't exactly "promote" cycling. It promotes more fraud in cycling.

Interesting how that, now the deceit has been uncovered, the titles of Armstrong and Landis's first books ring very true. Lance's story was never about the bike or cycling: it was only about Lance. And Landis? Postively False.

Moose McKnuckles said:
No, Lance did a lot to promote himself. The fact that the cycling industry benefited was a secondary effect. Lance cared about one thing: himself. Defrauding the sport a decade doesn't exactly "promote" cycling. It promotes more fraud in cycling.

Let's not forget his sham "Charity", he's duped $500mil from people for.

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure which Phil Liggett the writer is talking about here ? Can't mean the doddery old (hopefully soon to be ex)commentator surely ?

"The person who has come out of this business with real grace and dignity is the cycling commentator Phil Liggett, who in several interviews this week has spoken candidly about how he didn't want to believe that the claims against Armstrong were true, that when he eyeballed Armstrong and received a hand-on-heart denial, felt obliged to go along with his version.
Liggett even said that he felt that Armstrong made a fool out of him."

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...e-basis-of-a-lie/story-e6freall-1226503367993

Northern rider said:
I'm not sure which Phil Liggett the writer is talking about here ? Can't mean the doddery old (hopefully soon to be ex)commentator surely ?

"The person who has come out of this business with real grace and dignity is the cycling commentator Phil Liggett, who in several interviews this week has spoken candidly about how he didn't want to believe that the claims against Armstrong were true, that when he eyeballed Armstrong and received a hand-on-heart denial, felt obliged to go along with his version.
Liggett even said that he felt that Armstrong made a fool out of him."

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...e-basis-of-a-lie/story-e6freall-1226503367993

Armstrong is having his village idiot confess on his behalf. I've noticed the shift. Half confess but still create doubt.

Keep it comin' Phil.

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site

TRENDING THREADS