• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Phinneys change of opinion

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think what most likely happened is someone; Davis, Lance or some PR management, stepped in after the first Vino tweet and talked the kid down. Now that he is entering the pro peloton he can't shoot his mouth off and needs to act/tweet with a little more maturity.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
US Patent Exploding Cyclist said:
I think what most likely happened is someone; Davis, Lance or some PR management, stepped in after the first Vino tweet and talked the kid down. Now that he is entering the pro peloton he can't shoot his mouth off and needs to act/tweet with a little more maturity.

credit to the kid for admitting his initial mistake.

Im a bit dubious that some of it may be covering himself in case lance gets proved to be a doper, but at the moment have to take it at face value.

Hes admitted his original mistake, credit where its due.
 

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
3,853
0
0
Visit site
The ironic part is that Vino was clean for L-B-L but dirty now.

Taylor had it back-asswards.

Mixed-up kid for sure. Oh well.
 
He's another two-face fvck!!! probably he consulted to LA before posting his tweet.. he might as well is thinking ahead, since the LA ship is sinking faster than he thought....
I mean- does he even bother to check what he posted during L-B-L & sort of coordinate the message-so he won't look like a stupid at all?
 

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
1,852
0
0
Visit site
happychappy said:
Vino would crush you like goat dumpling.

Really? Who the fcuk knows?

Formerly jacked up guys coming off gear are often less than ordinary.

After all the crap Pharmstrong is on, you think he's going to be anything clean? If the guy comes off T, not that he will, he's going to have trouble getting out of bed and finding the motivation to train.

The worlds greatest endurance athlete's running 17-18 minute 5ks and 3 hour marathons? Give me a break.
 
Jul 13, 2010
185
0
0
Visit site
buckwheat said:
The worlds greatest endurance athlete's running 17-18 minute 5ks and 3 hour marathons? Give me a break.

Not that this has a whole lot to do with your point, but cycling and running aren't perfect matches. After a bit of running training, I run slightly slower than Armstrong, but if you look at where this places me in terms of running percentiles, I am still way down on where I would be in cycling percentiles over similar timeframes. I've seen similar for elite rowers - they can move an enormous amount of oxygen. They run a lot faster than the average person, but they are not within a mile of the percentile for running as for the sport in which they specialize. Eccentric vs concentric contraction. Tendon elasticity.
 
buckwheat said:
Really? Who the fcuk knows?

Buckwheat, don't tempt fate. Can you not see the resemblance?

dv803101_220.jpg


the-incredible-hulk.jpg
 

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
1,852
0
0
Visit site
Realist said:
Not that this has a whole lot to do with your point, but cycling and running aren't perfect matches. After a bit of running training, I run slightly slower than Armstrong, but if you look at where this places me in terms of running percentiles, I am still way down on where I would be in cycling percentiles over similar timeframes. I've seen similar for elite rowers - they can move an enormous amount of oxygen. They run a lot faster than the average person, but they are not within a mile of the percentile for running as for the sport in which they specialize. Eccentric vs concentric contraction. Tendon elasticity.

I missed the highlighted portion?

I understand the differences well but I just think the comparison emphasizes his ordinariness.

So what's the under over for LA tomorrow? 20 minutes down?

The whole tour, an hour and a half?
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,654
2
0
Visit site
Animal said:
It's pretty outrageous.

Anyone see his post-win interview on ITV4's highlights?

Mumbling, evasive, and basically slimy and unrepentant.

Feck off out of it, you soviet era drug mutant.

I heard it and was disgusted! I question some peoples hypocrisy how they like and support vino and then get stuck into Lance continually. CAn't have it both ways and particular posters on here know that they are guilty of this. Also annoying to see that so many riders are saying that Vino is a class act and awesome he is. I think I needed a bucket!

My favourite phinney comment
"The sport is so much cleaner now... I'm not even a Pro yet but I know that 4 sure. Dopers do suck, but everybody makes mistakes"

I am waiting for a Phinney positive.:D
 

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
711
0
0
Visit site
Great win by Vino today. Always liked the way the guy races, gives it heaps and always has a canny knack of knowing just where to go. Good to see him back.
 
Aug 10, 2009
213
0
0
Visit site
Animal said:
Yes. back where they should be.

Millar: world TT champ and Tour stage stage winner on EPO. Nearly eliminated while possibly clean.

Millar was inconsistent when he was on the gear as well.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming he's clean now, he's still inconsistent. Sure he's blown chunks the last week in the tour... but he was 3rd in the prologue of this Tour (before he broke his ribs) and has won 3 races this year... Here are his 2010 results -- They don't look too bad to me and he still excels in time trials.

Everything I've heard about Millar is he is mentally fragile. Maybe if he wasn't such a head case he'd be more consistent?
 

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
1,852
0
0
Visit site
shouldawouldacoulda said:
Millar was inconsistent when he was on the gear as well.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming he's clean now, he's still inconsistent. Sure he's blown chunks the last week in the tour... but he was 3rd in the prologue of this Tour (before he broke his ribs) and has won 3 races this year... Here are his 2010 results -- They don't look too bad to me and he still excels in time trials.

Everything I've heard about Millar is he is mentally fragile. Maybe if he wasn't such a head case he'd be more consistent?

Lance is consistent, another 15 min dropped, I thought it would be more than twenty. I'm going with 2hrs as the over under in the final gc.
 
Aug 10, 2009
213
0
0
Visit site
Animal said:
Millar: world TT champ and Tour stage stage winner on EPO. Nearly eliminated while possibly clean.

Actually Millar is maybe a nice example of comparing clean/dirty results. Again, assuming he's honest about being clean now.

Arguably his best year was 2001. I'm pretty sure he was on gear then. He won 8 races, 4 were time trials, 2 were Overall GC wins, and 2 road race wins. See -> Millar's 2001 results

Compared to this year (so far) 3 wins, of which 2 were TTs, 1 was an overall GC. He hasn't won a GT stage this year... but he's run close. Other than that the quality of his wins seem similar? The 3 days of Depanne is of similar quality to the Circuit de la Sarte and the Post Denmark Tour - more or less.

I can't remember why he didn't ride the Tour that year - 2001? Anyhow despite that, it seems like he's never really put it together in a GT as a GC rider. On gear he seems to win more, but the quality of his performances are similar. Assuming he's off gear now, he has won a GT stage clean - and on balance his results seem similar but the quantity is just lower and/or spread over seasons.

I dunno what to make of that?