• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Phinneys change of opinion

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
4,153
0
0
Visit site
shouldawouldacoulda said:
What can we make of Lance? I mean I don't think he's riding clean in this tour at all. But he isn't riding well either?

Crashing is not a matter of luck. You crash when you are on the limit and let yourself get poorly positioned and can't react. He's crashed what 7-10 times this tour? I think he crashed only twice during his run of 7 Tour wins.

Is he doping less? Doping the same? Or is his doping just not as effective due to his age?

Maybe his head isn't in the game either? Maybe he's riding around France and all he is thinking about is how the hell he's gonna get out mess he's currently in back in the US?

Not everyone can be a true champion like you Mr. Punkrocker. I know if you only had that speed that you used to use at Andy Warhols' Factory you would be a TdF SUPERSTAR eh?
 
Jul 23, 2009
2,891
1
0
Visit site
Boeing said:
it is a text or tweet from a dude just out of puberty.

you all play the morality police well at the keyboard

give it up

Relax. No point having an internet chest-thumping contest. We left puberty behind decades ago. In any event I don't buy the 'folly of youth' argument. He's young, but he's not a kid any more nor a babe in the woods of his chosen profession. He took a shot at a veteran star in the peloton. He knew that his comment would play before an audience of thousands and he did a complete about-face with no explanation that I've come across. I found that strange and I think the OP felt the same way. I am surprised that you don't see the point of this thread. The OP raised a valid question.
 
Nov 17, 2009
2,388
0
0
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
Relax. No point having an internet chest-thumping contest. We left puberty behind decades ago. In any event I don't buy the 'folly of youth' argument. He's young, but he's not a kid any more nor a babe in the woods of his chosen profession. He took a shot at a veteran star in the peloton. He knew that his comment would play before an audience of thousands and he did a complete about-face with no explanation that I've come across. I found that strange and I think the OP felt the same way. I am surprised that you don't see the point of this thread. The OP raised a valid question.

He sent an explanation himself.

Said he was wrong with the LBL tweets and that everyone deserves a second chance.

I'm just glad twitter/facebook/whatever weren't in play when I was a college student. I did and said some very stupid things, I'm very glad I didn't have much in the way of an audience.
 
May 18, 2009
3,757
0
0
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
He sent an explanation himself.

Said he was wrong with the LBL tweets and that everyone deserves a second chance.

You go ahead and think that. I tend to think he had a "talking to". YMMV.
 

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
1,852
0
0
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
He sent an explanation himself.

Said he was wrong with the LBL tweets and that everyone deserves a second chance.

I'm just glad twitter/facebook/whatever weren't in play when I was a college student. I did and said some very stupid things, I'm very glad I didn't have much in the way of an audience.

You're funny.

Phinney was only "wrong" because everyone knows he rides for the greatest cheater in sports history. Too much irony for even Pharmstrong apparently.
 
Nov 17, 2009
2,388
0
0
Visit site
buckwheat said:
You're funny.

Phinney was only "wrong" because everyone knows he rides for the greatest cheater in sports history. Too much irony for even Pharmstrong apparently.

That may well be true as well.

Look... if you want to look for hidden meanings behind every statement, you can find fault with anyone.

Mother Teresa said:

"I am a little pencil in the hand of a writing God who is sending a love letter to the world. "

Oh my WORD? Is she saying God is smutty? And that he's so fickle in his convictions that he would have to use a pencil rather then a pen with permanent ink? BURN HER!!!!



You can either take people at face value, or look for a hidden agenda. If you do that later... well then anything anyone said can look like it has hidden meaning.

It's really not worth the effort.
 
Jul 23, 2009
2,891
1
0
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
That may well be true as well.

Look... if you want to look for hidden meanings behind every statement, you can find fault with anyone.

Mother Teresa said:

"I am a little pencil in the hand of a writing God who is sending a love letter to the world. "

Oh my WORD? Is she saying God is smutty? And that he's so fickle in his convictions that he would have to use a pencil rather then a pen with permanent ink? BURN HER!!!

You can either take people at face value, or look for a hidden agenda. If you do that later... well then anything anyone said can look like it has hidden meaning.

It's really not worth the effort.

I'm confused. Are you saying that Vino is God? :D
 

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
1,852
0
0
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
That may well be true as well.

Look... if you want to look for hidden meanings behind every statement, you can find fault with anyone.

Mother Teresa said:

"I am a little pencil in the hand of a writing God who is sending a love letter to the world. "

Oh my WORD? Is she saying God is smutty? And that he's so fickle in his convictions that he would have to use a pencil rather then a pen with permanent ink? BURN HER!!!!



You can either take people at face value, or look for a hidden agenda. If you do that later... well then anything anyone said can look like it has hidden meaning.

It's really not worth the effort.

You're overthinking this.

I asked Phinney straight out on Twitter, if he's read From Lance to Landis, a perfectly reasonable question, and he insulted me and then blocked me. Funny how people on here act as if he's 5 years old. When you're in Junior High most have a fully formed sense that lying, cheating, and stealing is not a good thing.
 
Nov 17, 2009
2,388
0
0
Visit site
buckwheat said:
You're overthinking this.

I asked Phinney straight out on Twitter, if he's read From Lance to Landis, a perfectly reasonable question, and he insulted me and then blocked me. Funny how people on here act as if he's 5 years old. When you're in Junior High most have a fully formed sense that lying, cheating, and stealing is not a good thing.

And most people don't want to believe their heroes lied and cheated.

Few people react rationally when people challenge any belief or feeling that's deeply set.

Many people attack other religions but react with horrified shock when someone attacks theirs. They can't see the hypocrisy in their belief that say... atttacking the Muslim faith is okay but attacking Christianity is evil... regardless of how logically a critic approaches it.

It's similar in politics. Many US Republicans are now calling the health care bill recently passed some sort of horror of socialized medicine... yet the same people were touting a prescription drug plan passed by republicans as a good thing... despite the fact that there really isn't a huge difference in cost or the amount of "socialism" the programs had.

So a young kid coming up in US cycling being very defensive about his mentor/idol's doping history while attacking another cyclist from another country for being a doper? That doesn't strike me as anything more then typical human behavior. He obviously is a fan of Armstrong (as many americans are). Most fans are going to need to have stuff shoved in their face quite dramatically before accepting what a disinterested third party could see quite easily with a lot less evidence.


Simply put... few people easily admit they may have been wrong.
 
May 23, 2010
2,410
0
0
Visit site
You'd think mini phinney of all people would have been pointed to more worthy mentors and idols than Lance Armstrong. God only knows how much real talent has visited the home he grew up in.
 
Jul 29, 2010
431
0
0
Visit site
redtreviso said:
You'd think mini phinney of all people would have been pointed to more worthy mentors and idols than Lance Armstrong. God only knows how much real talent has visited the home he grew up in.

I think no doubt he has. He was w/ Vaughters before LA bought him away. Supposedly LA offered him $100K IN YEAR ONE. Who knows what he is making this year.

Also, before he joined JV's development program, I heard TMobile (now HTC) was already sniffing around.

So yes, he's been recruited by others. I think the Phinney's went w/ Livestrong b/c of: a) the money, b) despite the association w/ LA, it has been a great development squad w/ world-class resources.

It will be interesting to see if Phinney stays w/ RadioShack. It wouldn't take a genius to see that RShack might be a program w/ a cloudy future!
 
NashbarShorts said:
I think no doubt he has. He was w/ Vaughters before LA bought him away. Supposedly LA offered him $100K IN YEAR ONE. Who knows what he is making this year.

Also, before he joined JV's development program, I heard TMobile (now HTC) was already sniffing around.

So yes, he's been recruited by others. I think the Phinney's went w/ Livestrong b/c of: a) the money, b) despite the association w/ LA, it has been a great development squad w/ world-class resources.

It will be interesting to see if Phinney stays w/ RadioShack. It wouldn't take a genius to see that RShack might be a program w/ a cloudy future!

And a big reason why LA went after him was to p*** JV off over comments made to Kimmage during the 08 Tour diaries, about Lance.