• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pick the Podium for the Tour de France 2010

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What 3 riders will make the Tour de France podium in 2010?

• Other (Alexander Vinokourov, Robert Gesink, Romain Kreuziger, Samuel Sanchez, etc... Specify below!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
May 5, 2009
Visit site
Just a few points:

1. How weird would it be if Astana or something team could pull 2 people on the podium like Astana did last year? I guess Rabobank could do it with Gesink and Menchov, Liquigas with Basso and Nibali, RadioShack with anumber of riders, etc...

2. I'm kind of curious as to what form Pereiro will come in at. And I wonder who will stick it out with Contador the longest in the mountains, Pereiro or Vinokourov? Tiralongo?

L'arriviste said:
I voted for Contador and two "Others", though obviously you can't select "Others" twice.

3. What two "others" would you have chosen? :)

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I picked Contador, Andy, and Menchov.

I see Menchov only slightly ahead of a group of about 5-6 riders all competing for that 3rd podium spot. If one of them races for 3rd rather then trying to keep up with Andy and Contador, they could sneak ahead of Menchov for that spot.

Blowing yourself out to keep up with Andy and Alberto will likely cause a big time loss somewhere. If you let others do that and only react when others aside from those 2 make moves... it could make the difference between 3rd and 6th.

manolo said:
Just a few points:

1. How weird would it be if Astana or something team could pull 2 people on the podium like Astana did last year? I guess Rabobank could do it with Gesink and Menchov, Liquigas with Basso and Nibali, RadioShack with anumber of riders, etc...

2. I'm kind of curious as to what form Pereiro will come in at. And I wonder who will stick it out with Contador the longest in the mountains, Pereiro or Vinokourov? Tiralongo?

3. What two "others" would you have chosen? :)

My guess is Tiralongo/Navarro (or Hernandez if he rides). I don't think either Vino or Oscar will be there when things get really hot.

Publicus said:
My guess is Tiralongo/Navarro (or Hernandez if he rides). I don't think either Vino or Oscar will be there when things get really hot.

I think the big concern for Contador is will there be anyone there when things get hot. I have no doubt Team Shleck will try to isolate AC at every opportunity.

Of the Astana riders, Oscar frustrates me and wonder if he should have called it a day last year. He really hasn't done a thing. What about Jufre?

Libertine Seguros said:
how about de la Fuente? It was him that launched Contador on most of his attacks to date, and he has worn the mountains jersey - after proper mountain stages - in both the Tour and Vuelta.

If I recall correct, DDLF has only launched him once at Algarve. He was injured most of the early part of the year. And his one attack at Alpe d' Huez, Hernandez was the last man standing before he went.

All that being said, yes he could be one of the final men left with him. Navarro has, by far, been his most consistent lieutenant.

I think the big concern for Contador is will there be anyone there when things get hot. I have no doubt Team Shleck will try to isolate AC at every opportunity.

Of the Astana riders, Oscar frustrates me and wonder if he should have called it a day last year. He really hasn't done a thing. What about Jufre?

I don't know if AC is all that worried any more. The team of climbers looked pretty good at the Dauphine--especially Navarro and Hernandez. As for Oscar, I've never really figured him out. He was doing ok at the Tour de Suisse and then lost something like 11' today. I don't know what that was about, but it will be interesting to see who from Astana is with the final group tomorrow (if anyone).

ferryman said:

He gets to ride arround saying he won the tour de france. I think thats what will keep him going a few years still. Hes only 32.

May 14, 2009
Visit site
mowie133 said:
ROGERS Michael......how people forget..was in yellow before falling.better then andy
GESINK Robert
MENCHOV Denis

4th KREUZIGER Roman

I made a post about Rogers being a dark horse before the Giro. Still you have to include Contador

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
mowie133 said:
ROGERS Michael......how people forget..was in yellow before falling.better then andy
GESINK Robert
MENCHOV Denis

4th KREUZIGER Roman
I love how Rogers fans transform "was in virtual yellow midway through a stage early in the Tour" into actually being likely to have won in Paris. If Rogers wins, I'll buy a hat just so I can eat it.

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Cerberus said:
I love how Rogers fans transform "was in virtual yellow midway through a stage early in the Tour" into actually being likely to have won in Paris. If Rogers wins, I'll buy a hat just so I can eat it.

the troll o meter is high with you............early in the tour is was stage 15 muppet.....killed levi last month or didn't you watch that??? no transform about it was going to win the tour till a tool went down in front him

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Cerberus said:

Yea lol I think it will be a hot hats sale end july then, because I just can't see him climb with the best :s.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
mowie133 said:
the troll o meter is high with you............early in the tour is was stage 15 muppet.....killed levi last month or didn't you watch that??? no transform about it was going to win the tour till a tool went down in front him
Wait, what Tour are you talking about? :confused: I though you were talking about stage 8 of the 2007 Tour de France where he crashed into a barrier. It can't have been 2006 or 2008 or 2009 either and I'm pretty sure I'd have remembered if someone had been leading one of the Tours Armstrong won. I think I'd also remember if it was 1998 or 1997 or 1996 for that matter.

As for beating Leipheimer grats to him, but Leipheimer is hardly the man to beat in the 2010 Tour de France and last month wasn't July.

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Cerberus said:
Wait, what Tour are you talking about? :confused: I though you were talking about stage 8 of the 2007 Tour de France where he crashed into a barrier. It can't have been 2006 or 2008 or 2009 either and I'm pretty sure I'd have remembered if someone had been leading one of the Tours Armstrong won. I think I'd also remember if it was 1998 or 1997 or 1996 for that matter.

As for beating Leipheimer grats to him, but Leipheimer is hardly the man to beat in the 2010 Tour de France and last month wasn't July.

troll o meter just went bang!!!!!!!!! tell me how many demarks are going to be in the top 50 in gc this year by the way ???? hmmm ...wait till the fly v in the tour then rogers would win forsure :rolleyes:

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
mowie133 said:
troll o meter just went bang!!!!!!!!!

Yep, it did indeed, I suppose the parody of the English language you use should have been a give away, but I've never like to judge people exclusively by their inability to express themselves in English.

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Cerberus said:
Yep, it did indeed, I suppose the parody of the English language you use should have been a give away, but I've never like to judge people exclusively by their inability to express themselves in English.

didn't answer my question :rolleyes::cool: