• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Plasticiser Test

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Typical corrupt UCI. They hire people to formulate a test over many years, and someone on the internet finds a loophole. When are these idiots going to stop pretending that they know more than internet forums. You don't even need any qualifications to know that any old plastic is the same. Why doesn't anyone speak out? Omerta - that's why.

A

Anonymous

TERMINATOR said:
...and how do the chemicals from the coach's gloves get into the rider's bloodstream?

Exactly, the same idjits that are planning to use the "i drank from a plastic bottle" excuse.

There is a world of difference between plastic in the bloodstream from bloodbags and plastic either ingested into the body through food, or from wearing gloves. You would need to eat clingfilm to get the plastic into the bloodstream.

im not overly sure i see the point in this thread.

Mambo95 said:
Typical corrupt UCI. They hire people to formulate a test over many years, and someone on the internet finds a loophole. When are these idiots going to stop pretending that they know more than internet forums. You don't even need any qualifications to know that any old plastic is the same. Why doesn't anyone speak out? Omerta - that's why.

Or, they can just use the non-PVC, plasticizer-free tubing and bags that have been around forever...

Tygon - US Plastics

Alternatives* to Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) Medical Devices for the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
MacRoadie said:
Or, they can just use the non-PVC, plasticizer-free tubing and bags that have been around forever...

Tygon - US Plastics

I think you may have missed my point. The point being that experts in the field have probably considered ideas that have popped into some clueless poster's head.

Similarly, that link you have provided. Would you back you Google search ahead of those experts? Maybe you're right. But are you really sure that you're ahead of the experts?

Mambo95 said:
I think you may have missed my point. The point being that experts in the field have probably considered ideas that have popped into some clueless poster's head.

Similarly, that link you have provided. Would you back you Google search ahead of those experts? Maybe you're right. But are you really sure that you're ahead of the experts?

No, what I'm saying is that the "experts" may have a perfectly good test for plastcizers, but the medical industry has long had DEHP and PVC-free medical equipment, including tubing and blood storage bags.

It doesn't matter how robust the plasticizer test is, if equipment containing no plasticizers is used.

And it wasn't a google search, merely a link provided for the anticipated skeptics. My cousin is a Scottish NICU nurse, and we have recently converted her to the sport of professional cycling. When we talked about this very topic one day, she mentioned that they used special products in the NICU that are plasticizer-free.

The original poster was suggesting the "all plastics are the same so I can used this stupid excuse" theory. I am saying that, quite the opposite, the fact that there are so many different types of plastics available that if you look hard (or not too hard actually), rather than using a bogus argument for how a plasticizer got into your blood streamm, you can actually use a product that is plasticizer free.

P.S And what's with the insults? Did I direct anything at you?

Sep 5, 2009
Visit site
Papparrazzi said:
A rider could say plastic traces could be in his blood cuz his coach wears these surgical gloves ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QcIHRUELuY&feature=fvwrel

Kevin Livingstone, the surgical glove man, also did a good job in that video of covering up the monitor displaying the progressive lactate threshold test results.

I was listening intently to hear if any fumbles were made that would disclose LA has a normal human blood lactate clearance threshold as opposed to the alleged freak myth that he has an extraordinary high mmol level before the Onset of Blood Lactate Accumulation (OBLA).

Alas, his helpers were speaking in shorthand.

Mar 10, 2009
www.flickr.com
MacRoadie said:
No, what I'm saying is that the "experts" may have a perfectly good test for plastcizers, but the medical industry has long had DEHP and PVC-free medical equipment, including tubing and blood storage bags.

It doesn't matter how robust the plasticizer test is, if equipment containing no plasticizers is used.

And it wasn't a google search, merely a link provided for the anticipated skeptics. My cousin is a Scottish NICU nurse, and we have recently converted her to the sport of professional cycling. When we talked about this very topic one day, she mentioned that they used special products in the NICU that are plasticizer-free.

The original poster was suggesting the "all plastics are the same so I can used this stupid excuse" theory. I am saying that, quite the opposite, the fact that there are so many different types of plastics available that if you look hard (or not too hard actually), rather than using a bogus argument for how a plasticizer got into your blood streamm, you can actually use a product that is plasticizer free.

P.S And what's with the insults? Did I direct anything at you?

Correct, that was my intention. And my point is that the rider can claim the plasticiser in his blood must have come from another surgical source - gloves etc. The UCI lawyers would then have to prove it was unique to a blood-bag .... cue long protracted court case with various experts on plastics ... more farce and fiasco :rolleyes:

Papparrazzi said:
Em ... the glove touches the 'wound' when the swab is taken :rolleyes:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the test doesn't work by detecting the presence of plasticizers in the bloodstream, but by detecting significant spikes. Being touched by a glove, even if it contained the same plastics, would probably not trigger a positive.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
Exactly, the same idjits that are planning to use the "i drank from a plastic bottle" excuse.

There is a world of difference between plastic in the bloodstream from bloodbags and plastic either ingested into the body through food, or from wearing gloves. You would need to eat clingfilm to get the plastic into the bloodstream.

im not overly sure i see the point in this thread.

You wont get plasticisers in your blood no matter how much plastic you eat it has to go through cleavage in the stomach before it is injested .

You can only get it in the blood with deep transfusion directly into an artery.

so how did it get there????? from what was being transfused????

May 23, 2011
Visit site
MacRoadie said:

Tygon - US Plastics

Alternatives* to Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) Medical Devices for the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)

What a waste of resources. They will nail one sorry ba5stard, and everyone else will switch to materials that will not trip the test. Maybe they will not even get one rider. Everyone has probably already switched after the reports of Contador's plastisizer levels, so the test is worthless before it is even validated.

Why not use total hemoglobin mass and be done with it?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
If riders are aware that novel testing procedures like this are possible, it will deter some and make doping for the rest more expensive. Who knows what else will be tested until the next rider is busted.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
Damiano Machiavelli said:
What a waste of resources. They will nail one sorry ba5stard, and everyone else will switch to materials that will not trip the test. Maybe they will not even get one rider. Everyone has probably already switched after the reports of Contador's plastisizer levels, so the test is worthless before it is even validated.

It could be a waste of ressources if they don't use it for retrotesting.

If they do, that would be a clear deterrent, everyone who tries to cheat with a temporarly undetectable method could be banned a few years later.

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Damiano Machiavelli said:

Well that completely depends on the test. The line provided just outlined products that were non-PVC, that doesn't mean they won't contain plasticisers which can be detected. Whether they are different phthalates or something else they'll still be there.

Out of interest, does anyone know where I can find the details of the test? Plasticisers come from all over an analytical system and I'm wondering if they have eliminated them, set a level or there is a particular peak in the analysis they have determined.