• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Podium behaviour poll

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Do you think Sagan’s behaviour on the podium wrong?

• No - I like him even more after this.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
You shouldnt forget that the relation between men and women is different in Eastern Europe compared to most western nation.
In Eastern Europe the old type of role models are still pretty much intact.
Men are the controllers and it's the job of the wifes to please and serve them.
So for a guy like Sagan it is a more natural thing to behave in such a way. He's used to be superior to women and to have control over them. Hence he didn't realize that touching a podium girl could provide such a controversy.

King Boonen said:
Class won the race, crass won the headlines.

I can guarantee anyone with a daughter thought his behaviour was disgusting, everyone should have. What's more disgusting is people defending it and implying the lady should either expect or enjoy it. People are really showing their true colours in this thread and many of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Or that it's her own fault for putting herself in that situation.

I'm really disappointed with this forum today for the way this poll turned out. I hoped for a much larger vote of disapproval.

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I voted in his favour not because I thing it's generally all right. Not because of sociall rules, trends, ethics or feminism - I dont like these "institutes" and dont care of it much (generally have scientific point of view). Personally that was stupid and inappropriate - mainly as long as it potentially can touch her personality and hurt her feelings. on the other hand I appriciate every personality in their individuality, so genuine. This is all about Sagan - despite I can consider him a bit simple and inmature,he still remains OK in my eyes, similar way as when Cavendish gives a rude talks he reminds authentic and OK or Mike Tyson when used to talk trash almost every time, etc. Despite its not my cup of tea.

Bavarianrider said:
You shouldnt forget that the relation between men and women is different in Eastern Europe compared to most western nation.
So for a guy like Sagan it is a more natural thing to behave in such a way. He's used to be superior to women and to have control over them. Hence he didn't realize that touching a podium girl could provide such a controversy.
it's his problem though. And it's quite some time that he works in western Europe, so he should have realized that already.

Bavarianrider said:

BR talking absolute bull**** as always.

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
King Boonen said:
I can guarantee anyone with a daughter thought his behaviour was disgusting, everyone should have. What's more disgusting is people defending it and implying the lady should either expect or enjoy it.

Agreed.

TheBean said:
I have always thought it was strange that a woman dressed-to-impress and kissing a total stranger (often a married man) is a way to celebrate a victory in such a prestigious sporting event.

I agree with this too. Sagan shouldn't have done what he did, and I voted 1. At the same time, the whole instituation of the podium girl is problematic to begin with.

The Hitch said:
BR talking absolute bull**** as always.

Unlike you i live close to the Czech republique and know many people there.

Eastern Europe has a totally different culture.
There are bordells everywhere, too.
Every small village has them. Everything is much more open in that kind of field.
If you grow up in such an environment, touching a podium obviously doesn't seem a big thing at all. Just a joke.
I am not saying what Sagan did was right, but i can undertsand it given his national background.

Angliru said:
Same here. I'm pretty shocked that so many don't see a problem with it. Are the cultural divides that vast?
Americans/Anglosaxons tend to be more politically correct than those from the European mainland, that's definitely true. Sexist/racist/fascist jokes are more acceptable over here, generally speaking. There's also something in what Bavarianrider says, the further East you go in Europe, the 'worse' it gets, certainly regarding sexism.

The opinion piece by Jane Aubrey certainly takes things way out of proportion, and I have to admit that my first reaction to it was "that's typically Anglosaxon". If you report on such a predominantly European sport, you have to take into account the European way of thinking.

Bavarianrider said:

WTF are you talking about?

Sagan behavior on podium was inappropriate. That is fact. And I am afraid it is going to hit him hard. I am sure a lot of greedy lawyers are already knocking on the girls doors.

On the other hand trying to label Sagan as “sexual monster” out of this childish, spontaneous act is getting really ridiculous.

SKSemtex said:
WTF are you talking about?

Sagan behavior on podium was inappropriate. That is fact. And I am afraid it is going to hit him hard. I am sure a lot of greedy lawyers are already knocking on the girls doors.

On the other hand trying to label Sagan as “sexual monster” out of this childish, spontaneous act is getting really ridiculous.

I didn't say it was appropriate.
I just say that in his cultural home it's more "ok" to do it than it would be in the USA for example.

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:

Every small village has them. Everything is much more open in that kind of field.
If you grow up in such an environment, touching a podium obviously doesn't seem a big thing at all. Just a joke.
I am not saying what Sagan did was right, but i can undertsand it given his national background.
I would't say here in Czech r. would be any substantial differences in male-female status and relationships to Germany or other European countries. (In Slovakia it can be a little different partiallybecause of higher Christianity rate.)

Bavarianrider said:

Please, stop this BS. The quantity of bordells has nothing to do with sexual behavior, but with economic situation. 80% of Czech bordels are on Bavarian border to serve the German pigs.
I am 100% sure that man respect woman in Slovakia and Czech republic much higher that e.g in Italy.

SKSemtex said:
Please, stop this BS. The quantity of bordells has nothing to do with sexual behavior, but with economic situation. 80% of Czech bordels are on Bavarian border to serve the German pigs.
I am 100% that man respect woman in Slovakia and Czech republic much higher that e.g in Italy.

Of course, i am not denying that at all!!!
However, i do think that if you grow up in an environment like that it does affect you. If you're used to those kind of things touching a woman like that doesn't seem that bad anymore.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:

I initially thought that gender attitude in Slovakia might be a bit behind Western Europe but looking at several development indicators, the picture is a bit murky.

Rates of female enrolment in primary school are average for Europe, rates of female secondary enrolment are amongst the highest in Europe. Variation on these between countries is pretty low though. When it comes to percentage of women in parliament, however, they fare rather badly. While Slovakia has just 17.4%, most of Western Europe has about 35-40% women in parliament and other than Ireland, all are over 20%.

The last indicator is probably the best with regards to a statistical indicator of cultural attitudes, but is obviously not perfect. In general Eastern Europe is significantly worse than Western Europe.

Either way saying these things often misses the point. If someone is brought up in a sexist culture, it doesn't make their behaviour okay, it just means that the culture is also bad, and that the behaviour is understandable

Google Public Data on %age of parliament female

TRENDING THREADS