• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Podium behaviour poll

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Do you think Sagan’s behaviour on the podium wrong?

• No - I like him even more after this.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Pippo_San said:
Now I like him even more, just because of the madness he caused :D

He's gradually becoming my favourite cyclist and sportsman ever ;)

This may have been said in jest, but i love the guy, we have so needed him in the sport.

yes it was bloody stupid to pinch her bum (I think we are lucky he didnt bite it, just at that height) but peoples over reaction is quite ridiculous.

In the same way that smoking a joint does not lead to injecting heroin, pinching someones **** does not lead to rape. the boy has been villified like the next Jimmy Saville.

and lets remember the week before she was kissing Sagans cheek on the podium of Gent - Wegelem. And if he wins Amstel Gold, there is a good chance she'll be doing it again.. and there is no way he will be able to stop himself from making a show of that.

Love the boy....

Parrulo said:
that moment when a rider can't even wear whatever he wants in a private family event . . . .
If he wore that at a family event, it makes me wonder how he was raised.

I honestly can't believe some people are defending the shirt. The only excuse for wearing that is if he lost a bet, imo. Makes him look like a complete, utter tool. Let's be honest. I knew "that guy" - the guy that would wear a shirt like that. A shirt that talked about the size of your junk or your "prowess" something equally crude and sophomoric. Maybe you laughed for a second but even at that age you're thinking "What a tool. He just doesn't get it - does he realize how stupid and immature he looks?" Sadly, In most cases that guy continued to be a tool the rest of his life. I'm sure some of you knew that guy too (maybe some of you were that guy :eek:).

That said, I'm basing my opinion on my experience and community. I don't know anything about growing up in Slovakia. Perhaps a shirt like that is normal and no one thinks anything of it. Maybe you can go to dinner with your sisters, mother, and grandmother wearing something like that. Frankly, I don't know.

Didn't really have a problem with the boob signing. Didn't the girl ask him to do it?

jaylew said:

I honestly can't believe some people are defending the shirt. The only excuse for wearing that is if he lost a bet, imo. Makes him look like a complete, utter tool. Let's be honest. I knew "that guy" - the guy that would wear a shirt like that. A shirt that talked about the size of your junk or your "prowess" something equally crude and sophomoric. Maybe you laughed for a second but even at that age you're thinking "What a tool. He just doesn't get it - does he realize how stupid and immature he looks?" Sadly, In most cases that guy continued to be a tool the rest of his life. I'm sure some of you knew that guy too (maybe some of you were that guy :eek:).

That said, I'm basing my opinion on my experience and community. I don't know anything about growing up in Slovakia. Perhaps a shirt like that is normal and no one thinks anything of it. Maybe you can go to dinner with your sisters, mother, and grandmother wearing something like that. Frankly, I don't know.

Didn't really have a problem with the boob signing. Didn't the girl ask him to do it?

the boob signing

NO the 'girl' did not 'ask' him to do it...mentioned on twit a day or so ago..

@dwuori: You may recall the photo of Sagan signing a woman's breasts last year. Only recently realized she hadn't asked him to http://t.co/aOXSwYAGGD

Cippo knew how to play a joke the right way :)

561164_10151486221251865_891011125_n.jpg

Sagan has a lot to learn

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
jaylew said:
. . .

I agree that the t-shirt is pretty dumb - but it just reminds me of frat-boy behavior. LOTS of issues on college campuses from the college athletes behaving in a similar fashion (i.e. crassly), and issues with frat behavior of this sort go back to the beginning of frats and before. I don't think "how he was raised" tells the story. Immature, puerile, sophomoric - those are fitting adjectives. You know, it is not exclusive to young men, either. I've seen plenty of young women abuse their power to humiliate and get other young people in trouble. Although - the consequences are usually quite different.

I would also note that the t-shirt would probably be less culturally insensitive in most of the euro countries I've visited - they seemed a little more, hmmm, practical (?), down-to-earth, about sexuality to me.

Parrulo said:
when did grabbing a girls *** for comic relief, i highly doubt he did it to satisfy his sexual fantasies, make some1 a "giant ******"?

honestly, i hope you all like your moral high ground, just be careful not to fall somewhere along your life.

Disrespecting people and humiliating them is ok if you do it for your own comic relief and others (but not theirs)? So bullying is ok then?

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Caruut said:
Why are we so surprised that, when we maintain a tradition like having podium that looks at those girls as nothing but objects, someone ends up treating them like objects? In my opinion, podium girls don't really belong in the 21st century, and when things like this happen the culture that tolerates them is more to blame than the individual.

Thanks for that, Carrut. You've saved me the time and energy of reading the rest of this thread.

For all those who were racing to see just who could be the first to chastise Sagan on twitter or anywhere else, please read the above, and then read it again. After that, perhaps you could kindly point me to all the examples in the past where you have personally expressed your dismay about the very concept of podium "girls."

This includes you, Jane Aubrey.

Thank You.

katkotom said:
well, I bet you wouldn´t :) it is just a silly shirt anyone can buy it and wear it ;)
there are tons of similar sh** available on the web - http://www.zazzle.com/my_****_your_*****_good_times_shirts-235085726603873917

Sure, I've seen all manner of crass shirts, usually in shops or on the internet. The thing is, most people would never actually wear one. Ask yourself honestly - would you? Would you wear that somewhere where people's mothers, sisters, daughters, grandmothers, etc... could see it?

jaylew said:
Sure, I've seen all manner of crass shirts, usually in shops or on the internet. The thing is, most people would never actually wear one. Ask yourself honestly - would you?

I wouldn't, for example. It takes slightly unhealthy dose of exibitionism for my taste, but I don't care really. Let people live, as long as I'm not requested to wear something like that.

Would you wear that somewhere where people's mothers, sisters, daughters, grandmothers, etc... could see it?

Among the above mentioned, at least mothers and grandmothers should know a thing or two about good times mentioned on the T-shirt, wouldn't you agree? :D Why would they be particularly embarassed?

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Parrulo said:
that moment when a rider can't even wear whatever he wants in a private family event . . . .

He can wear whatever the hell he likes. He just has to accept that people might later form judgements about him based on it. I am quite within my rights to wear a t-shirt with a political slogan. By doing so, however, I must accept that people will assume that I hold that position.

anyway to be honest my opinion about all of this is very simple, people like to feel like they are on some sort of moral high ground regarding others, particularly the more successful.

What a stunningly childish point. You could say this about any moral judgement ever. When people say "That's wrong", go for Occum's Razor. The simplest and most likely explanation is that they probably just think it's wrong. No need for any faux-Freudian babble about how they feel the need to put themselves above other.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Parrulo said:
I very much agree with you, i saw no harm in what he did, but knowing how the press is and how society is this days, he should know better and simply avoid the trouble.

Perhaps you might take the time to find out why it's considered offensive?

when did grabbing a girls *** for comic relief, i highly doubt he did it to satisfy his sexual fantasies, make some1 a "giant ******"?

It makes you a "giant *******" because you behave in a manner that has the potential to upset someone else, and their wish not to be touched like that is disregarded.

honestly, i hope you all like your moral high ground, just be careful not to fall somewhere along your life.

Believe me, I've fallen. Everyone has fallen, everyone halls and everyone will fall again. The thing you've got to do is look at your grazed elbows and knees and say "I'm sorry, I've fallen". It's no good loudly protesting "I've not fallen" while there's blood streaming down your shin.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Trudgin said:
This may have been said in jest, but i love the guy, we have so needed him in the sport.

He's certainly not boring, he just needs to learn where to channel his comedic energy.

In the same way that smoking a joint does not lead to injecting heroin, pinching someones **** does not lead to rape. the boy has been villified like the next Jimmy Saville.

The argument is not that he will pinch a bum one week, think "Oh I got away with that" and rape someone the next. However, I think in a society where the bodily integrity of women is not taken seriously, you do increase the likelihood of rapes happening. I'm not saying some kid is going to see Sagan pinching a bum and go out and commit rape. Not at all. I'm saying that growing up and living in a culture where that sort of behaviour is tolerate can, over time, teach someone that women don't have full rights over their bodies. That in some way men "deserve" access to them. Of course one bum pinch is but a drop in the ocean, but when it does happen publicly then it is worth saying "that's not okay". It doesn't mean that the person is a bad person, I doubt Sagan really appreciates why it was wrong.

and lets remember the week before she was kissing Sagans cheek on the podium of Gent - Wegelem. And if he wins Amstel Gold, there is a good chance she'll be doing it again.. and there is no way he will be able to stop himself from making a show of that.

Love the boy....

I hope for his sake and the girl's sake he can stop himself.

SKSemtex said:
Please, stop this BS. The quantity of bordells has nothing to do with sexual behavior, but with economic situation. 80% of Czech bordels are on Bavarian border to serve the German pigs.
I am 100% sure that man respect woman in Slovakia and Czech republic much higher that e.g in Italy.

Not by the male Romanian stats, if that's any indication between an eastern-western Euro divide in terms of gender relations.

Caruut said:
I'm saying that growing up and living in a culture where that sort of behaviour is tolerate can, over time, teach someone that women don't have full rights over their bodies. That in some way men "deserve" access to them.

I think you are fully wrong here...this harmless incident does not by any means represent any culture...

Originally Posted by Caruut
I'm saying that growing up and living in a culture where that sort of behaviour is tolerate can, over time, teach someone that women don't have full rights over their bodies. That in some way men "deserve" access to them.

katkotom said:
I think you are fully wrong here...this harmless incident does not by any means represent any culture...

Bingo.
This discussion has come too far. We might finish judging the nations by action of (Dutroux, Chanal, Hitler, Stalin etc. ) :eek:

To tell the truth I am not a kind of "pride" Slovak. It is not really to much to be proud of. I also do not consider Peter ´s podium behavior funny but when people start saying that our “women – men” coexistence or mutual behavior is inferior to one in "western countries" I am getting kind of offended.

TRENDING THREADS