• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Poll - Do you CARE if Lance doped?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Do you care if Lance doped?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
I voted YES. A cancer surviver with 7 Tour victories and giving people struggling with cancer "hope" is under doping suspicion. That's a situation that needs a Yes I care if Lance doped.:mad:

I don't care that Lance doped, in the sense that I realize it wasn't a moral question at the time (just as it probably isn't a moral question now). But I do want him to go down because the goal of cleaning up the sport, if at all possible, certainly requires the most successful doper to go down as an example to others.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
History

I voted yes for the following reasons:

1. Doping is cheating. That is black and white.

2. There are many ways to dope, some are more efficacious than others and not every rider, nor doper, has equal access to the same dope. That is to say that some dopers have more money and better dope. Dopers cheat us all and other even other dopers.

3. Accountability: There should be accountability to fans that watch a particular sport so that dopers are caught or deterred from cheating. Successful dopers will benefit from the 'spin off' of 'heroism' and may either erroneously channel monies to doping funded external initiatives or their personal pockets.

4. History: unfortunately finding out the truth about dopers canNOT change the past/history, but future annotation of the facts is even more important. Catch the dopers, fine/penalize them, publically embarass them(an excellent deterrent) and cut the cord.

There should be zero tolerance for doper.

NW

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Neworld said:
I voted yes for the following reasons:

1. Doping is cheating. That is black and white.

2. There are many ways to dope, some are more efficacious than others and not every rider, nor doper, has equal access to the same dope. That is to say that some dopers have more money and better dope. Dopers cheat us all and other even other dopers.

3. Accountability: There should be accountability to fans that watch a particular sport so that dopers are caught or deterred from cheating. Successful dopers will benefit from the 'spin off' of 'heroism' and may either erroneously channel monies to doping funded external initiatives or their personal pockets.

4. History: unfortunately finding out the truth about dopers canNOT change the past/history, but future annotation of the facts is even more important. Catch the dopers, fine/penalize them, publically embarass them(an excellent deterrent) and cut the cord.

There should be zero tolerance for doper.

NW

black and white....zero tolerance...future more important....

So, Eddy doping is 1969 and Lance doping in 1999.

Fine/penalize Eddy....embarass him?
Yikes, you are a brave brave person.
He will eat you nom nom nom.

isayic said:
I voted YES. A cancer surviver with 7 Tour victories and giving people struggling with cancer "hope" is under doping suspicion. That's a situation that needs a Yes I care if Lance doped.:mad:

I completely agree, as a cancer survivor myself, this idiot doesnt give anyone hope.

Secondly, is his message that doping is ok, everyone else does it, so therefore in my Lance Armstrong Jr series in the USA, may the best doped Jr win?

Wow, that 10 year old really likes riding, can we give him testosterone now, and he will be a killer 16 year old? A little epo, or HGH now, and we can engineer our next champion. BS!!!! Competition is about your preparation, not what needle you stuck in your backside. I am also disappointed they didnt institute the Jr wheel regulations. This win at all costs is utter nonsense. Win because you work hard, have the right tactics, learn well from your mistakes, and fix your weak points. The answer is not in a syringe.

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
1. Agree that the question should be "that" and not "if."

2. The whole thing (Armstrong) built on the idea that he was the best cyclist in the world - hard work, survival, etc. I remember thinking that as a cancer survivor he must have an ability to handle pain superior to his competitors. I believed that surviving cancer made you stronger, and I wasnt the only one. True or not, that message is worthless to me now. Maybe I was a sucker, or maybe I should just believe in him anyway ala fan boys, but I cant. Maybe its good that I know the truth, but either way I definitely care.

3. Anyone clean has been totally defrauded. If people don't care than why should anyone bother to play fair at anything? Read Floyd

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Polish said:

Yes, the martyrization of Lance has begun.

He (almost) gave his life so that others may live. Wear your yellow wrist band and be saved.

He angered the pharisees, was convicted by Pilate and was hung on a cross so that the cancer could be cured.

FFS, what a load.

"I've done too many good things, for too many people"
"I won't be part of any witch hunt"
"I sleep like a baby"
"I like our word"

Word of God.

Common criminal. Going to jail. Dime a dozen.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Polish said:
black and white....zero tolerance...future more important....

So, Eddy doping is 1969 and Lance doping in 1999.

Fine/penalize Eddy....embarass him?
Yikes, you are a brave brave person.
He will eat you nom nom nom.

Pole,

I don't know how to respond to a guy like you, who from your postings seems to have a bizarre way of smearing fact, fiction and sarcasm. I have yet to figure out your end game...but that's it I guess you don't have one. About 4 months ago I directly asked you if you "think LA doped". You answered all my other questions prior to that, but then suddenly you disappeared from that thread for a while. Humm. You said you owned a bike shop didn't you, where is that shop, general geography of course.

Anyway, yes penalize whoever...does it really matter? See that is the problem and if you see a gradation of who should be penalized, or are in favour of legalizing doping then we (and most others) have a completely pole(-a)-ized opinion than you do. Sad really.

Brave, meek...really? Do you really think I'm intimidated by an old man? Oh, that's that pseudohumour you're trying to juggle with, got it.

NW

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
The only thing that I care about is if the two guys that beat me all last year are "Juiced".....They don't do dope tests at the Tour de Industrial Park.

As for Professional riders, I could care less.
If they catch you, you should be out for good. If you can get away with it, you're a great Sportsman.
If people cared about doping, nobody would watch Baseball, Football, Basketball, Hockey, or Soccer. We'd all be watching Dart tournaments on TV.

I really hate being lied to. I have dumped three "significant others" for lying. I stopped listening to politicians for lying. i stopped donating money to organizations who were found out to be frauds and liars. It's not a bout the bike. It would be about the lying if he is ever formally and officially outed as a doper.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Neworld said:
About 4 months ago I directly asked you if you "think LA doped". You answered all my other questions prior to that, but then suddenly you disappeared from that thread for a while. .

NW

Sorry I dropped the ball on that question of yours back then...

Yes I think Lance doped.
That has been my thinking for many years.
Do you remember why you asked?

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I vote yes. It's one thing to dope. It's another to lie to sick people who look to you for inspiration.

Lance inspires cancer patients because they look to his accomplishments as being real. They weren't real he lied he doped he's disgusting.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
There are PLENTY of people already who have a favorable opinion of Lance and think that he doped.

And among the so called "BrainWashed" people, plenty more will remain fans even when they learn more about Lance doping and pro cycling.

i suppose roger clemens still has fans. with the passage of time lance will eventually come clean like pete rose.

erader

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Changing principals.

For the Armstrong defenders, it was -

- He didn't dope.

Then it was -

- You can't prove he doped.

Then it was -

- I don't know if he doped or not, but they all do it.

Now it's -

- Ya, he probably doped, but so what.

auscyclefan94 said:
Yes, personally I think the reason the sport is so ****ed is because of Lance. That's why i care that justice is done.

hrotha said:
I don't care that Lance doped, in the sense that I realize it wasn't a moral question at the time (just as it probably isn't a moral question now). But I do want him to go down because the goal of cleaning up the sport, if at all possible, certainly requires the most successful doper to go down as an example to others.

I like both these answers even though one said I do care and other doesn't care. To go down as an example to others requires what ACF said... that's justice. For me, that's the bottom line. Wouldn't it be great if the field was playing on even terms and the pros who want to be clean can do so and not feel compelled to dope? It's going to take justice and consequences to get there.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
MR_Sarcastic said:
The only thing that I care about is if the two guys that beat me all last year are "Juiced".....They don't do dope tests at the Tour de Industrial Park.

As for Professional riders, I could care less.
If they catch you, you should be out for good. If you can get away with it, you're a great Sportsman.
If people cared about doping, nobody would watch Baseball, Football, Basketball, Hockey, or Soccer. We'd all be watching Dart tournaments on TV.

kurtinsc said:
I voted no.

I'm not going to be upset if/when he goes down for it, but I enjoyed watching him ride, as much as I did with Indurain, Patani, Ulrich and others who I believe doped while putting forward those performances I enjoyed.

Their doping won't in any way impact how much I enjoyed watching the races 5+ years ago.

If he were going to be a major competitor in races going forward, I might care some.

I'm mildly interested in how he doped and why he may have been able to dope better then others. I'm interested in how he compares to others of the same period and if his doping program gave him enough more of an edge that his results should be overlooked in historical discussions about the sport. But I don't "care"... I'm not going to be bothered one way or another regardless of what the result is.

VeloFidelis said:
I voted "no" as well. We have all been cheering doped riders for as long as we have been fans. For me that is since the late 60's. Some of the biggest hero's of the sport were the worst offenders of their era. How is it any different now?

VeloFidelis said:
...but my position for the record is:

Absolutley Lance doped, and he beat the "worst offenders" of his era while being one of them.

Is he "one of the best riders ever?" Absolutely as well! He is a genetic mutant built for the demands of cycling, just like Ullrich, Pantani, Vino, Basso, Contador and both Schlecks, all of whom raced every bit as well prepared as Lance.

I have been a fan for a long time and doping has existed for all of it. I continue to be amused that the problem is regarded as new, or solvable. In the immortal words of Jacque Anquetil, "only a fool would imagine it was possible to ride Bordeaux–Paris on just water."

As to reading an article about Lance admitting to doping?... I would absolutely read that as well, but not because it is new information, only because it is something I firmly believe will never happen. If I am wrong... it will be that much better reading.

I totally agree with all of the above and I voted "No" for the exact same reasons.

I believe that most people with some understanding of professional cycling would agree that Lance definitely doped to some degree or at one point or the other. But why anyone would really care if he will be punished or not is beyond me. Think about what might happen. They might find that USPS mistrusted government funds and will order the management company to pay a fine. The French will go "Aha, we knew it all along!" but there won't be any hard evidence sufficient to strip LA of his titles. That is if it even gets that far. Most likely the affair will be settled by the payment of an undisclosed sum and no fingers will be pointed at anyone. 5 years later some journalist will bribe someone to get an insight into the evidence Novitzky collected and will write yet another best selling book about LA.

I honestly wonder if we'd be talking about Miguel right now if Lance hadn't come along. Because clearly it must be impossible to win 5 in row let alone 7:p.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Andynonomous said:
For the Armstrong defenders, it was -

- He didn't dope.

Then it was -

- You can't prove he doped.

Then it was -

- I don't know if he doped or not, but they all do it.

Now it's -

- Ya, he probably doped, but so what.

Some people have been at the last stage for years. I feel the same about Indurain. Yeah, he probably doped... but so what? I liked watching Patani and Ullrich and Vino as well.

If I got upset and angry at every cycling doper... well I don't think I could watch cycling.

Polish said:
There have been quite a few polls in the Popular Press lately asking people if they believe Lance doped or not.

The results so far are typically 50% yes, 50% no.
But the "Yes" votes are bound to increase as more people become educated on the matter.

A question the polls fail to ask is "Do you care if Lance doped"
An interesting follow-up question would be "do you care?"

What do you guys/gals here in the Clinic think?
Do you care or not?

Where is the 'I am a troll' option?

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
Some people have been at the last stage for years. I feel the same about Indurain. Yeah, he probably doped... but so what? I liked watching Patani and Ullrich and Vino as well.

If I got upset and angry at every cycling doper... well I don't think I could watch cycling.

I look at the bright side. The bike shop owner toild me hey read Lance to Landis, by Walshe. Every time iI go into his shop he has the pained expression of a man with 20 hemroids. Then he gave me all his pro cycling magazines. I smoke him in any bike rides. Thanks Mr. Walshe, job well done. I get the fitness and entertainment and others feel your anger and bitterness.

flicker said:
I look at the bright side. The bike shop owner toild me hey read Lance to Landis, by Walshe. Every time iI go into his shop he has the pained expression of a man with 20 hemroids. Then he gave me all his pro cycling magazines. I smoke him in any bike rides. Thanks Mr. Walshe, job well done. I get the fitness and entertainment and others feel your anger and bitterness.

I'm thinking there's a corollary between the rate of alcohol consumption, and the number of spelling errors and lack of comprehensible punctuation in a post...

May 26, 2010
Visit site
MacRoadie said:
I'm thinking there's a corollary between the rate of alcohol consumption, and the number of spelling errors and lack of comprehensible punctuation in a post...

actually i think it is another powdered substance and his teeth must almost be ground down.

i bet the real story is, the bike store guy sees flickie coming in like a wreck and ask's;

"Hey Flick dude y'all right?",

"No man been up all night defending my man Lance against those heathens who said he doped"

"Here dude read this, i felt like that too, till i read this 'Lance to Landis' now i sleep like a baby"

"No way man, got any saddle cream, my *** is killing me, i been wearing these liestrong shorts for 2 years now non stop."

"Hey Flick, you racing this weekend?, i'll give you a head start of like 30 mins again"

"No dude SI article just came out, aint gonna sleep till August, later"

:D

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
MacRoadie said:

I mispill porpisly, so that my trooths willn't be so panefull too yoo.

See, you can laugh me off but everything I have said about professional cycling is truth, strange but true.

I love it. By the way I am a big Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard fan also.

They also speak the truth, just listen.

TRENDING THREADS