Poll: Froome's outcome in the 2020 TdF

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Froome's outcome in the 2020 TdF

• Winner

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Top 5

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Super super domestique (similar to Bernal 2018)

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • Regular INEOS domestique

Votes: 26 27.4%
  • Doesn't start the race

Votes: 27 28.4%

• Total voters
So just Landa, Mas, and Aru, then? You have a really low threshold for "winning" but he may struggle to even accomplish that.
Not may, will.

Most likely scenario IMHO is Froome losing a good amount of time on the first genuine climbing day going too deep trying to hold on, then biding his time until an anonymous transition stage and trying to win from the break before retiring.

Reactions: jmdirt
Dec 13, 2012
even if Froome manages to get in great condition in time, the team dynamics and the route are big obstacles to winning. Hard to see him being ahead of Bernal before the hilly ITT, so the win scenario is be really close to Bernal all the way in which case he wouldn't be playing much of a helper roll in order to stay as close as possible (dicey since Jumbo will be attacking) then hope to take 30-60 secs out of Bernal in the ITT? The better chance I suppose is if Bernal has a problem and loses time, but then Froome still has to be better than Roglic, Thomas, Dumo, etc.

IMO, the TdF will just be for getting a GT back in his legs, so regular dom (maybe with a stage hunt twinkle).

EDIT: I wouldn't rule out a DNS if his injury is bothering him, but even if his form is off I think that he will start and try to ride into form (that's a way bigger ask than it used to be).

Unless he shows a vast improvement from his last race and keeps up with the main riders I don't think he will go to the Tour. If he has massively improved then there is time for him to get it together for the Tour. If not, then I don't think INEOS will take him and let him go all in for the Vuelta. My choice, DNS.

DNS. The bigger question is will the Tour go ahead with all this coronavirus gloom and doom? Froome won't get a chance and even if he did I truly doubt he will be competitive based upon everything we know, too many setbacks in his recovery and he isn't young any more. Not going to happen, no more 2018 Giro miracles.

If the TDF is raced in July, I don't think Froome will have acquired the form needed for a top 5 or even top 10 GC result. The whole team's activities have been affected both by the Covid-19 situation and by the sudden passing of their sports director. Thus, fewer chances for race participation. We'll see.

Think the name of the poll needs changing, as sadly, it won't just be Froome who's outcome in the TDF will be questioned. If prep races can't be raced the GC would be up in the air. Christ, even my mum may have a chance. May just have a look on oddschecker. :D;)

If the TDF is raced in July, I don't think Froome will have acquired the form needed for a top 5 or even top 10 GC result. The whole team's activities have been affected both by the Covid-19 situation and by the sudden passing of their sports director. Thus, fewer chances for race participation. We'll see.
Froome was never racing Paris-Nice or Tirreno, so as it stands he hasn’t been unduly affected.

Of course that’s not to say things won’t change over the coming months, as It’s doubtful we will get much racing between now and the summer. But it will be the same for everyone who could have three months (at least) with no racing.

In the meantime he’s smashing out 200km training rides in South Africa.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS