• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Poll: Should the Babes on Bike thread have been removed?

Should the Babes on Bikes thread have been removed?

• Yes (I am a man)

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • No (I am a man)

Votes: 64 60.4%
  • No strong opinion, but I accept its removal (I am a man)

Votes: 14 13.2%
  • Yes (I am a woman)

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • No (I am a woman)

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • No strong opinion, but I accept its removal (I am a woman)

Votes: 3 2.8%

• Total voters
There has been a lot of debate about this, both on the Modestly Clothed Women thread in this subforum as well as in a thread in the About the Forum section announcing the removal of the BoB thread. I'm very curious to see what the level of support for and against the removal of the thread is. I have provided distinct choices for men and women because of course they are likely to have different perspectives on this. I assume women are less supportive of the thread than men, but I don't know this for sure. While the debate can continue on the other threads, I would be very interested in particular in hearing the opinions of women, few of whom seem to have weighed in on the other threads.

Edit: All right, I followed the poll instructions exactly, the preview indicated the poll was up and people could vote, and now I find that there isn't a way to vote. Maybe a mod can fix this.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: Should the Babes on Bike thread have been removed?

Merckx index said:
There has been a lot of debate about this, both on the Modestly Clothed Women thread in this subforum as well as in a thread in the About the Forum section announcing the removal of the BoB thread. I'm very curious to see what the level of support for and against the removal of the thread is. I have provided distinct choices for men and women because of course they are likely to have different perspectives on this. I assume women are less supportive of the thread than men, but I don't know this for sure. While the debate can continue on the other threads, I would be very interested in particular in hearing the opinions of women, few of whom seem to have weighed in on the other threads.

Edit: All right, I followed the poll instructions exactly, the preview indicated the poll was up and people could vote, and now I find that there isn't a way to vote.
Probably all voting has been disabled because that's the way a good democracy works is to not let the people vote. (Sounds like our friends in the UK) :rolleyes:

No really probably voting has been disabled in the forums because all the Greg Fanboys got roasted over the LeMon poll. :eek:

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I had no problems with the thread when it was there, but appreciate, understand and respect the decision to remove it. That's slightly stronger than (c), but slightly weaker than (a).
So haven't voted.

I never visited the thread, so I won't contribute to the poll.
I assumed the thread title pretty much spoke for itself. Women are beautiful.
I get it; I see them every day. It seemed silly to come here to remind myself that women are beautiful.
Much better to profile the athletic achievements of everyone, regardless of gender.
But then again, it's just a forum for people to yak with one another.
I would have no problem with a men's thread of babes on bikes.
I'd pose for a photo, but I'm pretty sure no one would be interested in seeing it.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
“Power is a lot like real estate, it's all about location, location, location. The closer you are to the source, the higher your property value.”

In this case Power is in the hands of the site owner. Our location is not looking like we will have much value.

Re:

Glenn_Wilson said:
“Power is a lot like real estate, it's all about location, location, location. The closer you are to the source, the higher your property value.”

In this case Power is in the hands of the site owner. Our location is not looking like we will have much value.

As silly as this controversy seems, at least the power source has very good intentions.
I'm all for the closure if it leads to true equality--you know, things like equal pay and stuff like that-- but somehow I don't think that's gonna happen. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.
Meantime, men will continue to drool over women.
And women will drool over me. Uh, maybe not.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Forgive me if what I'm asking is already common knowledge, but why was the thread removed NOW after being allowed to exist peacefully for years?

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Re:

CheckMyPecs said:
Forgive me if what I'm asking is already common knowledge, but why was the thread removed NOW after being allowed to exist peacefully for years?

As Scotty put it perfectly (I paraphrase) - An unnecessary, 'pc' response to a non existent problem. There is a post in 'About the forum'.

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site

Glenn_Wilson said:
Merckx index said:

Edit: All right, I followed the poll instructions exactly, the preview indicated the poll was up and people could vote, and now I find that there isn't a way to vote.
Probably all voting has been disabled because that's the way a good democracy works is to not let the people vote. (Sounds like our friends in the UK) :rolleyes:

That's weird. We've got a national UK referendum next month. There was also a referendum in Scotland, last year. That is on top of a general election last year plus elections for British people to stand in the European parliament, plus the usual round of local elections such as the one for the local council in my village (and every other) last month, and one for the county police commissioner.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

Amsterhammer said:
CheckMyPecs said:

As Scotty put it perfectly (I paraphrase) - An unnecessary, 'pc' response to a non existent problem. There is a post in 'About the forum'.
Cheers. What's the title of that post?

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site

CheckMyPecs said:
Amsterhammer said:
CheckMyPecs said:

Just the teensiest bit of detective work should identify the topic in question. ;)

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site

Amsterhammer said:
CheckMyPecs said:
Amsterhammer said:
CheckMyPecs said:

Just the teensiest bit of detective work should identify the topic in question. ;)
Now I see - when I read "BoB's gone, here's why", I assumed "BoB" was a user who was banned from the forum, but it's "Babes on Bikes". Ah, it's getting late here. :)

Personally I had no big qualms about it but at the same time wasn't particularly involved in it; rarely clicking it.

Tbh, I can see both sides. I understand why Amster, Scotty and nowhereman may be upset and annoyed but I also see how it can be interpreted as objectification. I would've been fine with it to continue, but understand why it was taken off. So I voted c.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

kwikki said:
Glenn_Wilson said:
Merckx index said:

That's weird. We've got a national UK referendum next month. There was also a referendum in Scotland, last year. That is on top of a general election last year plus elections for British people to stand in the European parliament, plus the usual round of local elections such as the one for the local council in my village (and every other) last month, and one for the county police commissioner.
We Amerikah won you lost. No problem right? Get over the probs and live in today. Cheers? or spank the plank and have a tea party.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Re:

kwikki said:
Way too deep for me, I'm afraid.
Ahhh Marty a very funny man!!!
Not sure why cycling has to reinvent the wheel on every aspect of sports culture. Picks teams differently. Doesn't have one governing body. Doesn't make it easy for fans to follow races or riders.
Then we come to a component of our biology for a majority, people are attracted to beauty and often of the opposite sex. MotoGP,NFL,NBA and as we saw at this year's first Gran tour, beautiful women display and present the jerseys for the different categories.
If Cyclingnews wants to toss the baby out with the bathwater so be it,after all it's not my website.
Watching women involved in the sport everywhere worldwide I hardly see excluding a few photos helping anything but instead see it as another fragmentation within cycling. Did they email or call all the races to let them know that the podium pictures may be cropped if the women presenting the awards are objectionably beautiful? Did anybody tell the Girls that parading the jerseys on the bodies of young ladies may have some soiling there diapers?..... no
Riders dying from flimzee helmets,fans rushing the road like they just smoked crack,spotty TV coverage, teams folding with little notice and the worry is a cold day displayed thru some gal's T-shirt....
Cycling....all around needs to start mimicking the business models of sports that are A.popular B.profitable and C have a sustainable audience-fanbase.
Is cycling offered on ESPN's mobile platforms? .no.....because cycling wants to be special ( broke)
The NFL and NBA have brought breast cancer awareness into their sports, have monsters wearing pink as they pummel each other. Downsized jerseys and made lots of team apparel smaller so women can wear it, without looking like a tent is hanging on them. Women for the most part play very little basketball and almost no American rules football.... they are the biggest growth group in the fan base. They didn't cut the cheerleaders.
Maybe some sexy pics of Brian Cookson will lure them in. Lots of women (even w an eye roll) think men being attracted to women is natural

kwikki said:
Glenn_Wilson said:
Merckx index said:

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter" - Winston Churchill

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I voted No. This is a very absurd argument and shows that as cultured and intelligent and sophisticated as we all think we are. We have learned very little about the world we are busy verbosely pontificating about, at philosophical lengths. There are 100's, if not 1000's of threads in this forum. If a handful have been offended, SO WHAT??!! But if 4.5 million have casually browsed through the BoB's many pages, they all become irrelevant because a few feel that the credibility of the sites forums, maybe even it's overall credibility will be destroyed because some feel that women aren't being included, considered, pandered to. In the Western world which takes such overblown pride in FREEDOM, we have choices we can make. If you don't like the thread, if it offends you. Exercise your freedom of choice.....Don't visit that thread. But don't whine endlessly about how you are offended. I'm offended that the whiners think they are going to change the ways of the world by whining louder and louder til they get what they want, when they have twisted the intent of their target, and they are in a distinct minority.
Let me give you an example of choices: I have Cable TV and of the hundreds of channels, FOX News is one of them. That channel offends the heck out of me (and I'm being incredibly polite). But I don't call or email my cable provider screeching about how much I'm offended by that station, and that, that station should be taken out of the list of channels that the provider broadcasts. I simply choose to never go onto that channel. Now, that's what happens in a free society. You exercise your freedom of choice, plain and simple!
I've posted hundreds of shots on BoB. Some are sexy, some have been playful, some are of deadly serious competitive female riders. The whole gamut. I have presented women on bikes in ways that we see them, in ways that photographers have chosen to juxtapose sophisticated, beautiful models with sophisticated, beautiful bikes that we all love and desire. I have presented women and bikes in ways that we fantasize about them. There has not been raunchy or sleazy intent involved to any extent. As I said on one of the other threads about this topic. If it's gone, it's gone. But it didn't need to be played this way. The termination of the BoB thread is the easy, more cowardly way to resolve this "situation". It wasn't filled with the venom that some other threads in this forum are rife with. But if the "suits", "owners" want to play it this way, Hey, it's their product now. They just ought to know that they have changed NOTHING in the world. They simply terminated a thoroughly harmless thread.