• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Poll - who will win Ronde van Vlaanderen 2014?

Who will win Ronde van Vlaanderen 2014?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

David_William

BANNED
Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
320-010.jpg

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Cancellara if no bad luck looked the strongest in E3. Plus Devolder looks in great shape so he'll have a preety good dom.

Tersptra from a long attack maybe.

I can't see Sagan winning, he misses something in the big races yet as San Remo shown again.

Boonen to withstand all the Cancellara moves and outsprint him in the end. The King of Flanders!
I would be happy with Canc, Vanmarcke, Vandenbergh, Roelandts, Keirsbulck, Hushovd and Degenkolb too. Basically it will be difficult for me to be depressed with the outcome of the race. From the poll only Stybar, Sagan or Thomas would be disappointments.

David_William said:
I think everyone is understimating Geraint Thomas capabilities, he is more than capable of putting Cancellara under pressure in the hills.
If that will be the case, you are probably right that a lot of people don't think highly enough of Thomas. Time will tell.

David_William

BANNED
Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
How come people vote for Stybar instead of Thomas? G is better climber and sprinter, is like rating rating Degenkolb higher than Sagan. Same type of rider but one at a much higher level...

May 23, 2013
Visit site
David_William said:
I think everyone is understimating Geraint Thomas capabilities, he is more than capable of putting Cancellara under pressure in the hills.

You know he's got to get down them as well, ideally while remaining on his bike?

David_William said:

Geraint Thomas has never shown anything that would suggest he can take a fight to Cancellara here. Can it happen. Sure, there have been more surprising winners of monuments(and gts) in recent years, but on ability we've seen in recent years, few people are even close to cancellara on cobbles, and g Thomas is not one of them.

David_William said:
How come people vote for Stybar instead of Thomas? G is better climber and sprinter, is like rating rating Degenkolb higher than Sagan. Same type of rider but one at a much higher level...

I don't agree with this. Stybar outsprinted Gilbert in a flat stage at last year's Vuelta, and if you think he doesn't have speed on an uphill finish, check out his 2nd placing on stage 6 at the Eneco Tour.

In a sprint finish I'd definitely take him over Thomas.

On top of that there's bike handling skills, where the difference between them is large ...

TRENDING THREADS