• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Poor indexing in 6th gear

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi, Anyone got any suggestions on the following. 11 speed chorus set up. Right cables, tweaked by LBS, indexed perfectly but chain does not run smoothly in 6th gear. I can adjust the rear mech to run smoothly in 6th gear but not index properly elswhere or I can adjust the rear mech to index properly but not run smoothly in 6th gear - HELP!

Cheers,

Jon

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Check cassette

Is it possible a spacer is misplaced in the cassette?
Does the shift cable run free and smooth?
Has the Hanger been checked for alignment?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Jonathonc said:
Hi, Anyone got any suggestions on the following. 11 speed chorus set up. Right cables, tweaked by LBS, indexed perfectly but chain does not run smoothly in 6th gear. I can adjust the rear mech to run smoothly in 6th gear but not index properly elswhere or I can adjust the rear mech to index properly but not run smoothly in 6th gear - HELP!

Cheers,

Jon

I would check to ensure the spacers are installed correctly. Campagnolo sees fit to use a variety of spacer widths, that vary between cogset levels and also ration ranges. Otherwise may be a faulty cog.

Try another cogset?

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
Master50 said:
Is it possible a spacer is misplaced in the cassette?
Does the shift cable run free and smooth?
Has the Hanger been checked for alignment?
Thanks for the tips. I have just re-cabled and have ordered a new rear mech hanger. I will install the hanger and try the cassette one more time if not successful. Have got things feeling pretty good now but having gone through a couple of rear mechs, a couple of cassettes and a couple of sets of cable in recent months - i'll just be glad when it runs like it should!

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
At a loss how fitting new cables, hanger could solve the problem if it only occurs in 6th gear. They would solve problems that got worse/better across the cassette, & not just in one gear. Campy cassettes come on a carrier that slips onto the end of the hub, so the spacers etc are fitted in the order supplied.

I suppose it could be a faulty ratchet in the ergopower lever, but wouldn't it be cheaper to take it to a bike shop, rather than buying more bits?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
If it was a hanger you still need the alignment tool to check it. If the fixed part was a little bent changing the hanger will not correct anything Even a new hanger has to be checked and it requires a special tool. I own my own but it is not a common home mechanic tool. Get the shop to check the hanger alignment and if it is good look to the other suggestions.
I have another question too.
Is the cassette factory original? Have any cogs been replaced or a cassette made from 2 cassettes? Modern cassettes cannot have a mismatch in cog progressions. A few years ago I tried to make my own 12-26 from two Campy cassettes. I took 1/2 the cassette from a 12-25 and 1/2 from a 13-26. There was a bad shift where the two cassettes merged. Each cog is now designed to mate with the next on and by trying to match 2 sets of cogs I mis aligned the shift point.
Campagnolo obviously makes more than 1 15 tooth cog and you have to be sure to replace any cogs from the same type and size a 15 from a 12-25 is different than a 15 from a 11-21.
I know you have an 11 speed which makes me doubt that this is your problem since I doubt you have had it long enough to wear a cog out. Most of the spacers in a cassette are the same but if 11 speed is like 10 speed there is at least 1 spacer that is wider than the rest. It would likely go between the grouped cogs and the single cogs.

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I stupidly did my new 11 speed with my old 10 speed outer cables; hence the re-cabling. Certainly helped a bit and, having re-read the instruction manual, so did indexing initially on the 5th cog. Spending is certainly over and LBS is going to check rear mech, hanger and frame alignment. Must say it didn't look out of true on first inspection but suspect the naked eye is not a true guage of these things. Similarly with the rear cassette, don't remember dropping any spacers or not fitting as per the instructions but now am getting those "Did I lock the back door before I set off for my 3 hour ride?" sensations! Thanks for the extremel helpful reply; much appreciated. Jon