• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Popovych testifies

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mellow Velo said:
Did Landis not allege that USPS were getting tipped off about dope test visits from within the UCI?
Isn't the investigation looking into the payments made to the UCI by Armstrong, while riding for USPS?
Were a financial link established, wouldn't that constitute fraud?
Isn't this what the investigation is supposed to be investigating, ffs?

I thought Landis said he personally found out when the tests were occuring by hacking in to the UCI computers.

Or maybe the computer hacking is just another of his lies.

Hugh

hughmoore said:
I thought Landis said he personally found out when the tests were occuring by hacking in to the UCI computers.

Hugh

As are Armstrong's contributions to the UCI?
Just come out and say what you mean.
You are simply afraid that, rather than confirm your version of the truth, the investigation may tear it down.
So, you want it gone.
Belief not absolute?

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
hughmoore said:

Hugh

Might I see a source for this statement of Landis?

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
How he was served struck me as a little peculiar," Miller said. "It was effected on a guy at a charity ride who was going to leave Texas for a vacation with his girlfriend, a guy from Ukraine who doesn't speak great English and didn't really understand what was going on."

Miller said Popovych told him somebody walked up to him as he was leaving an autograph-signing event at a bicycle shop in Austin and followed him to his hotel. Miller also said that Popovych was told Wednesday that he is not a target of the investigation

Popovych had planned to stay in the U.S. only for four days but "they forced him to be here," Miller said, referring to those who served the subpoena.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-cycling-grand-jury-20101104,0,7658559.story

I can't imagine how he couldn't substantially contribute to this investigation. Surely he saw team texas swamping the podium at the 09 tour. Why wouldn't he squeal about Bruyneel's dope administering ways?

scribe said:
I can't imagine how he couldn't substantially contribute to this investigation. Surely he saw team texas swamping the podium at the 09 tour. Why wouldn't he squeal about Bruyneel's dope administering ways?

I see it as posturing. Popo had nothing much to add. It was Nov showng Texas that he owns this investigation and that his friends are bigger than Armstrong’s.

It was muscle flexing time and I think Lance would be scared sh1tless to hold another one of his corroborees again in the US.

No former USPS cyclist it safe. Question is….. did Livestrong pay for Popo’s holiday to the US? :rolleyes:

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
I see it as posturing. Popo had nothing much to add. It was Nov showng Texas that he owns this investigation and that his friends are bigger than Armstrong’s.

It was muscle flexing time and I think Lance would be scared sh1tless to hold another one of his corroborees again in the US.

No former USPS cyclist it safe. Question is….. did Livestrong pay for Popo’s holiday to the US? :rolleyes:

Why is that the question? Are you suggestion there is tampering? (preemptive strike tampering)

scribe said:
Why is that the question? Are you suggestion there is tampering? (preemptive strike tampering)

Nah just takin the p1ss. Of course Livestrong paid for his flight/work/holiday.

I still think there was a message being sent here. No one is safe.

I wonder if gulf stream will be stopped en-route to Australia in January?

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
hughmoore said:
I thought Landis wrote a book saying he never doped?

Brililant. I love it. Using this logic, any man who has cheated on his wife and lied about it, should now confess and tell all. His wife will simply laugh it all off, saying she doesn't believe any of it...after all he lied when he denied it!

Similarly, law enforcement everywhere will throw out all willful confessions from criminals who initially professed their innocence.

Brilliant. :rolleyes:

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Nah just takin the p1ss. Of course Livestrong paid for his flight/work/holiday.

I still think there was a message being sent here. No one is safe.

I wonder if gulf stream will be stopped en-route to Australia in January?

Sure. That is a good message.

I think the other message from this exercise is that guys didn't see what Landis is squealing about. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, but it adds to the color. Imagine what that does for the GJ when trying to determine a continuation of criminal activity that might warrant stretching back beyond statute of limitations.

scribe said:
Sure. That is a good message.

I think the other message from this exercise is that guys didn't see what Landis is squealing about. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, but it adds to the color. Imagine what that does for the GJ when trying to determine a continuation of criminal activity that might warrant stretching back beyond statute of limitations.

Be careful. You could be next!

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
I admittedly haven't followed every nuance of this investigation, but my quick catch-up review is concluding that there has been nothing of substance detected so far. Is that correct ?

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Mainerider said:
I admittedly haven't followed every nuance of this investigation, but my quick catch-up review is concluding that there has been nothing of substance detected so far. Is that correct ?

We are not privy to what is happening in the Grand Jury unless those who have testified want to speak about their own testimony. No one else can according to law.

Some on here want everyone to believe bombs are going off in there.

scribe said:
We are not privy to what is happening in the Grand Jury unless those who have testified want to speak about their own testimony. No one else can according to law.

Some on here want everyone to believe bombs are going off in there.

Fair to say that Lance's supporters are those hoping for the biggest bombs? The kind that would blow up the whole activity?

Dave.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Fair to say that Lance's supporters are those hoping for the biggest bombs? The kind that would blow up the whole activity?

Dave.

I don't know. Personally, I don't know what has happened in there. And I have been around here long enough to know not to listen to what others say is happening.

I'm a fanboy of US cycling. Lance happens to be a part of that. If the whole thing collapses and they all go to jail, so be it. Maybe our next group of stars can rise above the fray and give us something real to cheer for.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Popo's believable!

miloman said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/popovych-denies-witnessing-doping

Hopefully the fed's are building a case with better witnesses than this.

"He doesn't know anything about what the focus of the investigation is," Miller said. "He did testify and he's happy to have it behind him."

Popovych was served a subpoena on October 22 while attending the Livestrong Challenge charity ride in Armstrong’s home town of Austin. He had planned to return home to Italy but stayed in the USA before testifying.

"How he was served struck me as a little peculiar," Miller told the Los Angeles Times. "It was effected on a guy at a charity ride who was going to leave Texas for a vacation with his girlfriend. A guy from Ukraine who doesn't speak great English and didn't really understand what was going on.
"I don't believe he knows anything about what the grand jury is investigating," he added.

I suppose Ukrainians are on the mental level of Neanderthals. Does he go to a cave for a vacation?

Popovych had planned to spend only four days in the United States before returning to his home in Italy, but instead spent the past week and a half in the U.S., hiring Miller's firm to represent him. He is the latest in a number of people and corporations close to Armstrong to have been summoned in recent months to give documents or testimony to the grand jury, which meets in strict secrecy.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/m...ies_he_did_not_witness_dop.html#ixzz14KiTxRnb

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
buckwheat said:
"He doesn't know anything about what the focus of the investigation is," Miller said. "He did testify and he's happy to have it behind him."

Popovych was served a subpoena on October 22 while attending the Livestrong Challenge charity ride in Armstrong’s home town of Austin. He had planned to return home to Italy but stayed in the USA before testifying.

"How he was served struck me as a little peculiar," Miller told the Los Angeles Times. "It was effected on a guy at a charity ride who was going to leave Texas for a vacation with his girlfriend. A guy from Ukraine who doesn't speak great English and didn't really understand what was going on.
"I don't believe he knows anything about what the grand jury is investigating," he added.

I suppose Ukrainians are on the mental level of Neanderthals. Does he go to a cave for a vacation?

His English was good enough to do this interview:
Two years ago when I first interviewed Popo we used team massage therapist Elvio Barcella to translate for us, and this time I set it up to do again. But Popo told me matter-of-factly that he didn't need or want an interpreter anymore and would sit down with me and speak in English.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
The team was sponsored by the 'post office' up until end of 2004 - this testimony was taken in late 2005, are you suggesting he could not remember signing a new deal from just months before and as he was about to retire?

"Small ownership" is still ownership - in fact some could say 10% is significant.

The reason I did not quote the rest is because its irrelevant - but as you added more to the quote I might as well add then next 2 sentences - as they are revelvant.

.....A. I'm sure there is.
Q. Are you still -- do you still have a contract with Tailwind?
A. Yeah

I'm not suggesting anything. It's clear he's being intentionally evasive. But by doing so, he DOES have an out for perjury (the often used "I can't recall" answer) and still could be telling the truth about not being an owner while the team was dealing with the post office. He could have signed on as an owner to begin the 2005 season.

I'm not saying this is the case. I'm just saying the testimony in full does leave that option open... the snippet you provided didn't seem to do so. Full disclosure is always best.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
I'm not suggesting anything. It's clear he's being intentionally evasive. But by doing so, he DOES have an out for perjury (the often used "I can't recall" answer) and still could be telling the truth about not being an owner while the team was dealing with the post office. He could have signed on as an owner to begin the 2005 season.

I'm not saying this is the case. I'm just saying the testimony in full does leave that option open... the snippet you provided didn't seem to do so. Full disclosure is always best.

As I said it is irrelevant.
LA has confirmed some ownership - it matters little that he does not recall the exact details as the FDA will find that easily through Tailwinds records.
Its not the perjury he will be worried about, that was never going to be an issue, it is the ownership.

TRENDING THREADS