• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

(Potentially) basic fit/form question

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
So I'm on a bit of a hot streak with my riding lately and everything's going quite well physically (weight loss, fitness/speed gains) other than a nagging soreness at the back of my left knee. It seems to be in the more sinewy portion of what I believe is the attachment of the biceps femoris (I'm not a medical insider, so could be mischaracterizing that).

It's not excruciating or anything, and I can only barely feel it while riding, but in the 6-12 hours after riding, it flares up a bit on exertion (not sore to the touch and no visible/palpable swelling at all). My right knee is fine and I've never had a diagnosed knee injury previously. Given ~identical leg lengths, I'm assuming it's not a saddle height issue, but wondering what I might be doing "wrong" to cause this. My form is hardly perfect I'm sure (trying to smooth it out and pedal at higher cadence), but I'm not mashing the big ring all the time or jerking my bike around to put excessive lateral strain on me or the bike. Any thoughts? Obviously a hard thing to diagnose without seeing me ride, but appreciate any theories people might have.

I'm also obviously trying to nip it in the bud if it's a prelude to a hamstring injury that would keep me off the bike.

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Try taking an old inner tube around a table leg and do leg extensions. I had the same thing happen to me and a pretty famous team doctor(yes pro tour, yes I had the chance so I asked, uncool? A little, but saved me a trip to the doc's) had me do this, three times a week, three sets of 20. Worked like a charm. Hope this helps.

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
brianf7 said:
Lower the seat 3-5mm and see how you go also make sure the cleats are not too far back.

Agree. Except I think you will find you are more than 5mm too high. If you are that high that you are getting pain in the back of the knee then you are probably not getting optimal power down as well.

Measure the leg angle at full extension. It should be 30 degrees +/- 3-5 degrees.

TRENDING THREADS