• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Power Data Estimates for the climbing stages

Page 98 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Race Radio said:
There was a light tailwind, 3 mph n/nw, which is normal for that area. Morning is a headwind but shifts to NW in afternoon......also those powermeters suck.

Just half that tailwind speed would see W/kg overestimated by ~ 0.12-0.15 W/kg on a 7% grade. All of it would overestimate by ~0.25W/kg.

That's a level of wind that would be barely perceptible, smoke still rises vertically but drifts with the air. Flags barely move.

Race Radio said:
Speaking of powermeters sucking how is it SKY uses Stages? I have heard nothing good about those things
It's a sponsorship deal.

I suspect they still use their SRMs in training.

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Speaking of powermeters sucking how is it SKY uses Stages? I have heard nothing good about those things

I have a Stages and while I have nothing to compare it to it seems great, consistent and easy to live with. I pedal and little numbers come up on my garmin. Incredible. Problem is the numbers are little....

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
U5rCkCQ.png

Pinot - Avg: 382W

Alex Simmons/RST said:
Just half that tailwind speed would see W/kg overestimated by ~ 0.12-0.15 W/kg on a 7% grade. All of it would overestimate by ~0.25W/kg.

That's a level of wind that would be barely perceptible, smoke still rises vertically but drifts with the air. Flags barely move.

It's a sponsorship deal.

I suspect they still use their SRMs in training.

If it's tailwind 100% of the time, no?

Q7jpo.jpg

Hardly going directly south the whole climb...

today, first hour more than 50 kmph, week 3. high tempo on all the other climbs, i will post the times later on those. definitely impressive by papy peraud and nibali. the biggest performer i would say majka. i think we will have to go to sella 2008 to see a rider from the breakaway climbing at the same level as the big guns. \

tomorrow they should be all deads. or not :p majka to slaughter tourmalet record and win on hautacam losing a minute to peraud :D

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Andy Hampsten's time in 93 was seriously fast.
I thought the assumption was that he was dope free?

If he did indeed do that time dope free (or at least epo free) it makes it very difficult to draw conclusions based on climbing times.

SirLes said:
Andy Hampsten's time in 93 was seriously fast.
I thought the assumption was that he was dope free?

If he did indeed do that time dope free (or at least epo free) it makes it very difficult to draw conclusions based on climbing times.

mejia, hampsten and millar all on epo
pretty much all the guys who dropped fignon on telegraphe riding like motorbikes were on jetfuel.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Well, with regards Big Mig his doctor had history, Some of his comments have hinted at an admission of drug use and his body type was shall we say unusual for a climber.
Hampsten was always a natural climber, has been outspoken about drugs and I believe suggested that the increased use of epo hastened his retirement from the sport.

None of those things are conclusive of course.

TRENDING THREADS