• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pozzato and CONTI

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
So now CONI's ruling is going to factor in the Armstrong case. If they believe. Pozzato then you know its going to be used as a plus to aide him. Now if CONI has a few more pieces. of info will they use it and fry Pozzato or let him slide?

This case might have a secondary. effect.

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
As far as i understood Pozzato will face a suspension not because of doping, but because of the infringment of a ban of frequentation of Ferrari, issued by the Coni in 2002. Maximum penalty is going to be of six months.

However Pippo is a pure class ryder, if he is strong on the cobble is not because of doping, but because of the way he can ride on it. If there is someone to trust i think it is him.
Plus i think that when Ferrari suggested a doping pratice to Pippo he declined because he was afraid of ruining his hair :D:D

May 20, 2010
Visit site
PP is too cute by half! I didn't recall his run in with Simeoni. There is no way he could reasonably plead ignorance nor innocence. His seeking out of Ferrari appears to be deliberate and calculated. And to state that he was unaware of Ferrari's suspension beggars belief.

If he receives six months he will have got off lightly.

Aside: I am puzzled at the delay between info being obtained (taped conversation) and investigation...

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
JA.Tri said:
PP is too cute by half! I didn't recall his run in with Simeoni. There is no way he could reasonably plead ignorance nor innocence. His seeking out of Ferrari appears to be deliberate and calculated. And to state that he was unaware of Ferrari's suspension beggars belief.

If he receives six months he will have got off lightly.

Aside: I am puzzled at the delay between info being obtained (taped conversation) and investigation...

When you put it like that, it's really in his interest to ask for a 6 month slap on the wrist before the classics season starts again.

On another train of thought, perhaps this was why he only had a 1-year contract with Farnese Vini.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Considering that according the article CONI stated that anyone dealing with Ferrari would get 6months I am amazed than anyone would risk that merely for "training advice".

May 20, 2010
Visit site
rata de sentina said:
Considering that according the article CONI stated that anyone dealing with Ferrari would get 6months I am amazed than anyone would risk that merely for "training advice".

I agree.

However LA and the like might rebut:

"Surely simple training advice should be free of such strictures" or
"he provides the best training advice, bar none, and I thought no one would really mind"...
"you must have something better to investigate...like doping"

...the list goes on ad nauseum.

I notice nobody has mentioned how Scarponi, Visconti and Bertagnolli have now been called in the same investigation. Yes I know this is the Pippo thread but it is still linked.

What will happen if Scarponi is shown to have worked with Ferrari since his doping suspension. Will he be booted from the sport for good as surely another suspension will reuslt in a lifetime ban or will this be like Di Luca who just keeps coming back.

Also, its amazing how Savio seems to keep recruiting riders who are linked to doping scandals but knows nothing about doping or is in no way dodgy:rolleyes:.

Finally, its amazing how there is no pontificating in this thread about how this investigation is a waste of tax-payers money or how CONI is corrupt or how this is all ancient history(2009 was like soooo long ago now) and is just a witchunt or that nobody cares who worked with Ferrari. I guess there is no cancer curing super-hero involved.

That €40,000 that Pippo allegedly payed pales in comparison with the alleged half a mil that a certain other guy is supposed to have paid Ferrari.

pmcg76 said:
I notice nobody has mentioned how Scarponi, Visconti and Bertagnolli have now been called in the same investigation. Yes I know this is the Pippo thread but it is still linked.

What will happen if Scarponi is shown to have worked with Ferrari since his doping suspension. Will he be booted from the sport for good as surely another suspension will reuslt in a lifetime ban or will this be like Di Luca who just keeps coming back.

Also, its amazing how Savio seems to keep recruiting riders who are linked to doping scandals but knows nothing about doping or is in no way dodgy:rolleyes:.

Finally, its amazing how there is no pontificating in this thread about how this investigation is a waste of tax-payers money or how CONI is corrupt or how this is all ancient history(2009 was like soooo long ago now) and is just a witchunt or that nobody cares who worked with Ferrari. I guess there is no cancer curing super-hero involved.

That €40,000 that Pippo allegedly payed pales in comparison with the alleged half a mil that a certain other guy is supposed to have paid Ferrari.

From what I understand they can't issue a doping sanction based just on an admission that they were working with Ferrari. If Pozzato gets six months it's for breaching the ban on Ferrari, not doping. To issue a doping ban I guess they would need an admission/evidence that the relationship was for doping purposes.

Not 100% sure though.

....over his alleged involvement with the disgraced Dr Michele Ferrari, who is banned for life from all forms of cycling following testimony against him from numerous riders concerning his modus operandi. Earlier in June Ferrari was formally charged with doping by the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) alongside, amongst others, Lance Armstrong.

First time a news report has prefixed "disgraced" in front of Ferrari.

joe_papp said:
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Or a more arrogant one?

To give him credit for openly admitting to working intimately w/ Ferrari for years? Or is that just another sign of Pozz's arrogance and hubris?

I'd give him credit for that-& adding that he could have made things more complicated by lying/denying it if the evidence from recorded phone calls is there to support the allegations...

6 months penalty the most....

hfer07 said:
6 months penalty the most....

huh?

not only did he go to ferrari to dope, but he specifically broke italian rules by working with ferrari whether he doped or not.

i think 1 year is letting him off.

he flagrantly broke a specific rule so that he could dope with the best. frankly he should be gone. and good riddance.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
I don't see how CONI has any jurisdiction over this.

pozzato.jpg

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Pozzato is a funny guy.
Of all the countries in the world, he chooses Kenya to stay in shape. :rolleyes:
Too bad they didn't ask him if he knows Kisorio.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/pozzato-i-never-hid-anything

Pozzato returns from Kenya on Friday and he confessed that he had also availed of the opportunity to train at altitude during his time there. “I set the alarm for 5 in the morning here to go out on the bike,” he said. “We’re at altitude, over 2,000 metres above sea level. I don’t think I’ve lost a lot in terms of training.”

Kenyan runner Kisorio admits to country-wide doping, doping doctors and EPO sales points:
http://olympia.ard.de/london2012/videos/olympia2205.html