• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pozzato and CONTI

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He even used the "never tested positive" line.

jesus-facepalm-facepalm-jesus-epic-demotivational-poster-1218659828.jpg

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
He even used the "never tested positive" line.

Um, no. No, he didn't. Assuming the translation is true, he said, according to CN:

I’ve done lots of controls and never been suspended. I’m not even suspended now, nor am I under investigation. My biological passport could be an example for many. I told CONI everything, I was transparent. I could have denied everything and gone to the Games

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/pozzato-i-never-hid-anything

The logic of "I have done lots of A and never been B'd" does not preclude the possibility of C (testing positive), just look at Lance Armstrong.

From now on, riders need to clarify who did the test(s), so we can go check their website if WADA-led, or ignore it entirely if UCI-led.

I thought the finding/sentence was somewhat pragmatic. He did not test positive, nor did he run afoul of the Biopassport. By giving a sentence that is about to expire, he essentially has to accept his "guilt". He could spend the money to appeal, but it would be a waste.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
will10 said:
Well this was a real joke of a case.

Would be very little point in Pozzato going to CAS as his ban ends in a week!

Yeah it is a joke. He will reduce his cost(lawyer fee as opposed to paying 10K) and clear his name, not that it will mean anything in Italy.

But at the least it is proof that Pozzatto is a doper and a crap one at that if he cant do much on a Ferarri program. If i was him i'd ask Ferarri for a refund.

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Would one of these 3-month wrist slaps still mean a life ban for a rider with a previous ban like Scarponi? I think his hearing is very soon but I can't find it?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
TourOfSardinia said:
Does this now mean that Pozzato gains no WT points for 2 years?

ansimi said:
Would one of these 3-month wrist slaps still mean a life ban for a rider with a previous ban like Scarponi? I think his hearing is very soon but I can't find it?

good questions. Related: will this go into the books as Pozzato's first doping offence?

"what a farce"

indeed.

he should be banned for life.

cycling is truly not changing. every indication is that there is absolutely no incentive not to cheat. pozzato's comment. the fact that using ferrari gets only a slap on the wrist. clentadope's cynical statement that he has won 7 gts. and phat pat's call for amnesty because armstrong might lose all his fraudulent gains.

and talansky thinks we owe it to them to believe they are clean...!?

seriously?

this sport is such a beautiful sport. and yet the pro scene absolutely repulses me. no result can be believed. none.

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Happy that we will see Pippo again very soon, however they ruined the second part of his season with absolutely no reason.
It's incredible how they're tryng to strip every basic right from cyclist.

I'm rather surprised at such leniency, on Coni's part. Of all the national federations they seemed to want to pursue their riders with the most vigor.

Is it that Pozzato has a special status? Is the Pope backing him? (He recently went on a retreat with a Catholic priest, a friend, to “find peace with himself.”) Monti?

It just doesn't make sense.

Peccio89 said:
Happy that we will see Pippo again very soon, however they ruined the second part of his season with absolutely no reason.

Do you love all dopers or only Pozzato?

Give me a break with the doper's rights crap. They dope, they get caught. Ferrari = doping, this is a proven fact.

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Peccio89 said:

I'm also happy to see him again soon, but not for the same reasons. Its just that he's my favourite doper, so while all the other dirty guys are riding I like to see him too.

I'm all for banning people even though there are still dirty riders left in the peloton of course, but hey, just a fanboy in this case.

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
Ingenerius said:
I'm also happy to see him again soon, but not for the same reasons. Its just that he's my favourite doper, so while all the other dirty guys are riding I like to see him too.

I'm all for banning people even though there are still dirty riders left in the peloton of course, but hey, just a fanboy in this case.

I like really honest posts like this one admitting to being a Pozzato fanboy because he is their favourite doper. Much to my chagrin, all of my own favourite riders have been/are dopers, dating back to when I started following a young Marco Pantani. Sigh...

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
frenchfry said:
Do you love all dopers or only Pozzato?

Give me a break with the doper's rights crap. They dope, they get caught. Ferrari = doping, this is a proven fact.

Coni coort only knew that he recieved training data from Ferrari, how is that an evidence of doping? You know that in a democratic society there is the need of having evidence in order to condemn people?
Nobody caught him doping, they were just exchanging training data according to phone records that the judges had.

Remember that cyclist are first of all people with constitutional right, but it seems that most of you guys on this forum forget that.

Oh and for those of you that say italian doping coort are lenient, in any other country in this world he would have raced the olympics.

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Peccio89 said:
Coni coort only knew that he recieved training data from Ferrari, how is that an evidence of doping? You know that in a democratic society there is the need of having evidence in order to condemn people?
Nobody caught him doping, they were just exchanging training data according to phone records that the judges had.

Remember that cyclist are first of all people with constitutional right, but it seems that most of you guys on this forum forget that.

Oh and for those of you that say italian doping coort are lenient, in any other country in this world he would have raced the olympics.

You must be joking.

Ferrari's "training data" is built around extending a rider's performance envelope via doping. That's what he does, that's all he does.

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Ferrari works on % of earning yeah? I didn't think Pozzato's earnings would have been enough to warrant an exclusivity deal.

So we have Pozzato with Ferrari from 2005 to 2009.

This would seem to back up the "exclusivity" arrangement Lance had with Ferrari. Lance retired the day after the Tour in 2005, leaving the door open for someone(s) else to use Ferrari's services from then.

Unless we have some statue of limitations here and CONI can't talk about 2004 (?).