• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pozzovivo

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Velolover2 said:
He will resume his training in a few days. Not only is he planning riding Suisse, but also Tour De France. The little guy must be in the shape of his life.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-ditalia-news-shorts-pozzovivo-heads-home-formolo-restores-italian-pride
When I've heard he'll leave the hospital quickly, I thought about him at the Tour, but couldn't be sure considering his season has been built around the Giro.
He should be a fine addition to the Tour.

Re:

Velolover2 said:
Yep. But I hope that he will take of himself on the cobbles. If we took out the costal stage and pavée, the Tour would suit him even better than the Giro.

It's hard to say who is the strongest, Peraud, Bardet or Pozzovivo.
The thing I like about French teams is - there's no strict hierarchy... High level of freedom for the riders. That's what brought them the result last year.
Pozzo will surely be their man from the shadow.

So Domenico held to not exactly groundbreaking but respectable 10th on the GC before the final mountainous stage of the Giro, in which however, while other GC riders battled it out to improve their placements, he finished with the last group on the road in the company of sprinters, 45 minutes down on the winner, and slipped to 20th on the GC. I could not find any interview or news article explaining what happened - does anybody know? Is it possible that he suddenly did not have his climbing legs, or is there some other story behind?

Re:

PeterB said:
So Domenico held to not exactly groundbreaking but respectable 10th on the GC before the final mountainous stage of the Giro, in which however, while other GC riders battled it out to improve their placements, he finished with the last group on the road in the company of sprinters, 45 minutes down on the winner, and slipped to 20th on the GC. I could not find any interview or news article explaining what happened - does anybody know? Is it possible that he suddenly did not have his climbing legs, or is there some other story behind?

<<Ho la bronchite e ho dovuto fare gruppetto: una umiliazione>>

No need to translate I guess?

Overrated? I keep watching him, hoping that he lives up to the hype, and he always falls flat. The problem for AG2R is that they have a bunch of 2nd tier guys like him, but no one stands out. If they had a solid leader, that would be a great supporting cast. But no one stand out. Do I make sense?

Tonton said:
Overrated? I keep watching him, hoping that he lives up to the hype, and he always falls flat. The problem for AG2R is that they have a bunch of 2nd tier guys like him, but no one stands out. If they had a solid leader, that would be a great supporting cast. But no one stand out. Do I make sense?

You do. Maybe he can join Aru or Nibali next year. Or perhaps the ever-leaderless Lampre.

Tonton said:

2014 was his best year, then he crashed just before the Vuelta. In the races leading up to the Giro he looked good, even a podium at Catalunya, then a really bad crash on Stage 2. I feel he's never really recovered from those two, especially the second one.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

SafeBet said:
Age probably taking its toll as well.

I don't think it's age. He's not that old.

I think it all has to do with his big crash in the spring of 2014. And maybe also his crash in the Giro of '15. He never showed the same level after his first crash he did before.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

Billie said:
Arredondo said:
SafeBet said:
Age probably taking its toll as well.

I don't think it's age. He's not that old.

34 is quite old already. And don't forgot he was already one of the best climbers in 2008 Giro. He peaked 3-4 years ago. He's on the decline. Would have liked to see him being more aggressive this Giro.

But again, i don't know if the age is the clear reason. People tend to use the 'he's too old' argument really quick when someone doesn't perform. I still think his two big crashes are the main reason for his decline.

Re:

SafeBet said:
I don't think he's so much worse than a couple of years ago honestly.
Take away the last stage (apparently sick) and he would probably be in the top10. His best result in a GT is 5th. Doesn't look like a steep decline to me.
Even without that last stage, a completely anonymous 10th place is far from what he delivered in 2012-2014: inconsistent races where he faded or had bad days, but where, on his best days, he could climb with the best. And even win a stage.

There's usually a world of difference between coming 5th and 10th, too, in terms of performance.

Re: Re:

hrotha said:
Even without that last stage, a completely anonymous 10th place is far from what he delivered in 2012-2014: inconsistent races where he faded or had bad days, but where, on his best days, he could climb with the best. And even win a stage.

There's usually a world of difference between coming 5th and 10th, too, in terms of performance.
This is true.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
He's also interested in history, technology, economics, politics and weather forecasting.

He really is the Einstein of the modern peloton (not that it's particularly difficult).

TRENDING THREADS