• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pozzovivo

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I swear he has the worst luck for the Vuelta: hit by a car in a small village in Calabria and he's broken his arm and leg. Pretty serious injury at his age and naturally skips the Vuelta
On Tuttobici they wrote he was near Mendicino, the town of my uncles.

Anyway he was very unlucky to be there, being in an hospital in Calabria can be even worse than the accident itself, I wonder if he can ask to be taken somewhere else since having a surgery (I've read he needs at least one for the leg) there is like playing the Russian roulette "game".

Pozzovivo: they ended my career

"They put an end to my career": these are the few words that Domenico Pozzovivo said in a dramatic phone call made immediately after being run over by a car to his wife Valentina.
"He's in pain, he's out of danger but the situation is serious," said his wife. This morning, when he woke up, he just asked "let me go home".
The athlete suffered the fracture of the tibia and the head of the orthopaedic department practiced an osteosynthesis to put back in axis the leg. The situation of the elbow, on the other hand, is more complicated, as it presents a multi-fragmented and exposed fracture.
The cyclist, who has been hit frontally, is also injured in the face: some stitches have been applied to the chin.
In the accident, which is being investigated by the Municipal Police of Cosenza, Pozzovivo was hit on the right side of the car and in the collision broke the windshield and the window. For this reason, the doctors intend to subject him to other investigations to verify the general conditions beyond the fractures.

A part of the link, translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Last edited:
I have always had a soft spot for Pozzovivo, and this is a horrific way to end his career - if this is indeed an end to his career.
I always liked him and it was a pleasure to meet him at a race. Nicest guy in the world and he took his time to talk with me before the start of the stage. I really hope that he'll be able to end his career when he wants and not because of a horrible injury.

The CN story said he suffered broken bones in his right leg and right arm. It also said he shattered the windshield of the car, implying he collided with it as they were moving towards each other.

But the story also reported that he hit the right side of the car. I think they drive on the right side of the road in Italy? If that's the case, either the car was on the wrong side of the road, or Pozzovivo was.

The CN story said he suffered broken bones in his right leg and right arm. It also said he shattered the windshield of the car, implying he collided with it as they were moving towards each other.

But the story also reported that he hit the right side of the car. I think they drive on the right side of the road in Italy? If that's the case, either the car was on the wrong side of the road, or Pozzovivo was.

Or the journalist was drunk...

According to CyclingPro the broken arm is the left one not the right one, they say that the leg bones were already fixed with surgeries but the bigger problem is the arm because apparently he lost part of the bone.

They also report that in an interview for the paper version of the Gazzetta he described the accident saying that he was hit frontally by the car that was coming from the opposite direction on the same side of the road and he could do nothing more than trying to cover his head, he never lost consciousness and just after the accident he said to the car driver "you have ruined my career" but now he wants to continue.

Full article here: https://cyclingpro.net/spaziociclis...olo-pensato-a-non-picchiare-la-testa-tornero/

Sounds like it was the driver's fault. I think s/he was making a left turn, which would explain why Possovivo hit not only the windshield, but the passenger window.

Pozzovivo was seriously injured when the car driver took a turn too wide and hit the climber head on.

Same story now reports that Pozzoovivo now believes he can return to racing.

I know it's how it's written in English, but I just find it a bit funny when articles talk about someone being released from hospital. Did they lock him up or something?

It's more of being medically cleared and /or saying that he's all right to care for himself or someone else will care for him and removing him from their care. So if medically something happens they aren't liable. So if I was taking care of you and you got better, I'd release your care onto you or someone else.

Like at my rehab work, we have patients that leave the building because they can and just there for something else medical like wounds. But if something happens we are still liable for that person.

I know it's how it's written in English, but I just find it a bit funny when articles talk about someone being released from hospital. Did they lock him up or something?
In Italy entering hospital is confusing called ricovero while
leaving is called dimesso - which is also used for release from prison - go figure.

In the print version of the Gazzetta yesterday there was a really nice photo of Pozzo + a nurse both behind his bike.
It was like his bike had come to "release" him from hospital.

It's more of being medically cleared and /or saying that he's all right to care for himself or someone else will care for him and removing him from their care. So if medically something happens they aren't liable. So if I was taking care of you and you got better, I'd release your care onto you or someone else.

Like at my rehab work, we have patients that leave the building because they can and just there for something else medical like wounds. But if something happens we are still liable for that person.

I know that's what it means, it just looks funny. However, given the way some professional bike riders go about resting, maybe locking them up would actually be a good - although sort of illegal - idea. After all, we are talking about a guy who was literally planning his next move while in the hospital after faceplanting down a mountain a few years ago…

In Dutch you generally get fired from the hospital

Can't just have everybody working in the damn hospital!

TRENDING THREADS