• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Predict in April: Will Armstrong ride in the Tour?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Will Armstrong race in the 2010 Tour de France?

• No, he will be out due to some other reason.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My answer to the poll was yes, I believe Armstrong will ride the Tour.

Why? Because I believe he is immune from drug testing. He will never get caught. Even though he is not training like he's supposed to and dropping out of races left and right, he will show a miraculous turn of form that will have all his fanboys in a twitter.

The myth has taken on such gigantic proportions that nothing will knock it down. Too many people have too much money to lose if he doesn't show up.

As for the race itself I cannot make any predictions. If he doesn't show up I'll be happy. If he shows up I really don't care to watch him race. He ruins it for me. I would love to see him get dropped by Contador once and for all, but I have no idea what will happen.

Logic dictates that Armstrong will not see the podium or a top-ten position. But PED's have a way of altering reality in cycling to the extent that it will not surprise me if he is riding with the front runners and taking off like it's 1999.

It will be disheartening but not surprising.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I think Lance will be out for other reasons; it seems to me that he is coming to realize the limitations of his age and the loss of edge during his retirement; further, his love of training seems to be conflicting with other things in his life- too much travel, too much finery; I think where there is a will there is a way and I don't think I see the will that was once there. Something will come up; it may end up giving his spot to someone else on the RS team for future development. The "lack of competition" excuse followed by illness tells me the drive just ain't there anymore.

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Laszlo said:
I think Lance will be out for other reasons; it seems to me that he is coming to realize the limitations of his age and the loss of edge during his retirement; further, his love of training seems to be conflicting with other things in his life- too much travel, too much finery; I think where there is a will there is a way and I don't think I see the will that was once there. Something will come up; it may end up giving his spot to someone else on the RS team for future development. The "lack of competition" excuse followed by illness tells me the drive just ain't there anymore.

How about this "hypothetical" scenario,
Pharmastrong Laboratories has discovered a breakthorugh Performance Enhancement Drug that has allowed Lance Armstrong, even with a very bad form on the first half of 2010 and minimum training, to win the Tour de France 2010 ahead of Alberto Contador by 1 minute (2 minutes ahead of Andy Schleck). Armstrong passed all of the antidoping exams he was subjected to.

It is now the 8th Tour de France win for the Texan. World wide media is extremely happy about the return to glory of the myth and money is flowing to the powerful interests.

Of course, that is only a "hypothetical scenario", or maybe not so ?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I will say this...without LA then radioshack should not be riding the Tour. The sole reason they got an invite is because of his highness...now, a wreck, or broken bone, or something may be a viable excuse...but not the Sh1ts!!

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
TRDean said:
I will say this...without LA then radioshack should not be riding the Tour. The sole reason they got an invite is because of his highness...now, a wreck, or broken bone, or something may be a viable excuse...but not the Sh1ts!!

I think they probably would have gotten an invite without him.

Kloden and Leipheimer have had some high finishes over the years. They MIGHT have been enough of a draw to get Radio Shack an invite.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
thank goodness this thread is here for the Armstrong haters to spew their malovolent venom. Flies you are safe for today, they will not have time to tear your wings off.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
SO you are asking us if we think he will pull out if he is not the strongest on the team in July? No I do not. He will start regardless of his fitness level.

For the sake of the Bike industry alone he will at least start the race and ride till whenever; tummy problems or not. No Lance and at least 1/3 or more of the US viewership is gone immediately. If not world wide. There are other big companies in the sport who have nothing to do with his team relying on his draw.

I am assuming he feels that connected and responsible to the industry. His ego suggests he does.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I think Boeing's got it just about right. He'll start. He might win. He might not even podium. But he still wins because the race is a business and he's important to its success. Either way Armstrong wins. What kind of horseshucks is that? or should I say "Karma?"

Mar 30, 2009
Visit site
Berzin said:
My answer to the poll was yes, I believe Armstrong will ride the Tour.

Why? Because I believe he is immune from drug testing. He will never get caught. Even though he is not training like he's supposed to and dropping out of races left and right, he will show a miraculous turn of form that will have all his fanboys in a twitter.

The myth has taken on such gigantic proportions that nothing will knock it down. Too many people have too much money to lose if he doesn't show up.

As for the race itself I cannot make any predictions. If he doesn't show up I'll be happy. If he shows up I really don't care to watch him race. He ruins it for me. I would love to see him get dropped by Contador once and for all, but I have no idea what will happen.

Logic dictates that Armstrong will not see the podium or a top-ten position. But PED's have a way of altering reality in cycling to the extent that it will not surprise me if he is riding with the front runners and taking off like it's 1999.

It will be disheartening but not surprising.

Normally I would agree. But I think Contador and Schleck are on PEDs or blood-transfusions too. Even juiced, Lance cannot beat other juiced riders who are younger than him and capable of taking on the climbs.

I think LA is so determined to do a final tour and have a final chance of taking number 8 that if he's unable to ride this year for whatever reason, he will be back next year...

However, I am convinced he'll be riding this year and hope he's in form for it.

Ryo Hazuki said:
and your prove is?
Ulrich was not riding significantly better at times we know he was doped as compared to other times, like in 2000.

It's not proof, but logic dictates that he could not ride as well clean as he could ride when he was doped, and he did ride well enough to get second in 2000.

(oops, this is not the Clinic. Sorry. Just answering a question.)

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
thank goodness this thread is here for the Armstrong haters to spew their malovolent venom. Flies you are safe for today, they will not have time to tear your wings off.

that's funny.

i think he'll start, but withdraw due to illness.

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, this is slightly off topic but voting in this poll (a no show vote from me) reminded me of some classic dribble commentating the other night from Phil Lickett (sic) during the PR.

When Fabian’s lead ticked over to 1.01 out of nowhere about a guy who wasn’t even in the race, Lickett says Lance Armstrong once won a tour by 1.01 .... riiiiiiiight.

So, in voting no I’m sort of hoping we won’t be subjected to Phil’s unrelenting love of all things Lance.