• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

PREDICTION 2020

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
In fact he is a bit like PSG in that there seems to be everything to win and then... the surprise disappointment, again. But that they will never win the Champions is a reckoning I never understood. Only when they have to sell their best assets. (And why would Pinot have to do that?)
(I think Barcelona resembles more Movistar nowadays, I would not worry about them too much concerning Champions League or Tour. I just can't make up my mind who would be TJV. ManCity?)
Pinot is no Neymar...he doesn't fake injuries :)

:cool: I'm starting to sound like a Pinot fangirl here, a role in which I had not expected myself, lol. But... well, if he had not lost the time in the crosswinds and did not have that injury last year... if there had been only one time trial in the Giro 17... I know, that's just ifs... but does it not show that the potential is there?
You are putting too many ifs in here. I think you are pretty much supporting Kaptain Kool's point.

Reactions: Kaptain Kool
Does anyone else see a similar scenario to last year happening in regard to Alaphillipe being in yellow? I know he'll be watched closer but the first few medium mountain stages really suit him and the pyrenees are pretty easy. Could easily see him holding yellow from stage 2 until the Grand Colombier.

@Escarabajo: No, no, I'm not! :D What I mean is not that he will certainly win, but that the potential is there, especially with that route this year, where there is no flat time trial for instance (he has improved his time trialling a lot, though.) Of course there are people who are injury prone or have a weak immune system, but if it is not something chronic (like a specific knee problem or whatever), but injuries / illnesses that seem random and look more like bad luck that could just happen to anyone, I am thinking: Why should that happen to him again? It might, but may it not hit somebody else just as well the next time? (Like, if someone plays dice and got a 1, then a 1, then a 1 - that does not increase his chances of a 1 the next time.) To me it looks more like that with Pinot. I am not an expert on him, though.

Why are some of you putting Alaphilippe in the GC category? I mean, I have really started to like the guy, so it's nothing personal, but he does not even want to be that person. Maybe if he decides to specifically train for GC he can compete for a podium spot one day, but does it look like he wants to right now? I'm quite sure he wants to hunt stages and bring himself in the best shape for the worlds.

Valverde: But Koronin, don't you think, that one day, one day his age just needs to show? I am almost desperate for it to happen. It's scary. He's not a vampire or sorcerer? :eek:

Yates: I deliberately wrote Yates so that my chances of being right would be doubled. But I guess I'd go for Simon if forced...

You seem to think Mas is 34? Hes still growing into his best years and i rate his 2nd place probably higher than Pogacar's podium, regardless of age. Both will still get better. Maybe Pogacar will leapfrog Mas, or maybe Mas will take the next step this year and Pogacar will stall for a while until he gets physically stronger. These guys don't necessarily progress linearly. Did Mas lose all his credit because of one bad Tour2019 (where he may or may not have been sick)? And Quintana on the form he's had the past few years is also not going to win any GT's anymore, yet he ranks just below Bernal. Is what he showed early season enough to justify that?

I think i'd put them more like this, as far as climbing goes and assuming they are in the best shape we can possibly expect them in (no knee injuries or pelvis fractures) considering their age (in Quintana's case, the reborn Quintana, or else he drops 2 lines).

Bernal
Roglic / S Yates / Froome / Quintana 2.0
Buchmann / Pinot / Dumoulin / Thomas
Mas / Lopez / Pogacar / Bardet / Uran / Kruijswijk / Landa
Higuita / Porte / Mollema / Quintana 1.2 / Valverde
van Emden / Declercq
Aru
So many unknowns. I'd say the two above everyone are Bernal and Roglic. Then the rest.

DateRaceFull pointsPartial
01 Aug 2020Strade Bianchewinner
2​
1​
podium
08 Aug 2020Milano-Sanremowinner
2​
1​
podium
15 Aug 2020II Lombardiawinner
2​
1​
podium
29 Aug-20 Sep 2020Tour de France1. place
2​
1​
podium
29 Aug-20 Sep 2020Tour de France2. place
2​
1​
winner/third
29 Aug-20 Sep 2020Tour de France3. place
2​
1​
winner/second
29 Aug-20 Sep 2020Tour de Francegreen jersey
2​
29 Aug-20 Sep 2020Tour de Francewhite jersey
2​
29 Aug-20 Sep 2020Tour de Francedot jersey
2​
20 Sep 2020WCITT MEN ELITEwinner
2​
1​
podium
26 Sep 2020WCRR WOMEN ELITEwinner
2​
1​
podium
27 Sep 2020WCRR MEN ELITEwinner
2​
1​
podium
30 Sep 2020La Flèche Wallonnewinner
2​
1​
podium
04 Oct 2020Liège-Bastog ne-Liègewinner
2​
1​
podium
10 Oct 2020Amstel Gold Racewinner
2​
1​
podium
11 Oct 2020Gent-Wevelgem in Flanders Fieldswinner
2​
1​
podium
18 Oct 2020Ronde van Vlaanderen - Tour des Flandreswinner
2​
1​
podium
03 Oct-25 Oct 2020Giro d'Italia1. place
2​
1​
podium
03 Oct-25 Oct 2020Giro d'Italia2. place
2​
1​
winner/third
03 Oct-25 Oct 2020Giro d'Italia3. place
2​
1​
winner/second
03 Oct-25 Oct 2020Giro d'Italiacyclamen jersey
2​
25 Oct 2020Paris-Roubaix
2​
1​
podium
20 Oct-08 Nov 2020La Vuelta ciclista a Espana1. place
2​
1​
podium
20 Oct-08 Nov 2020La Vuelta ciclista a Espana2. place
2​
1​
winner/third
20 Oct-08 Nov 2020La Vuelta ciclista a Espana3. place
2​
1​
winner/second
20 Oct-08 Nov 2020La Vuelta ciclista a Espanagreen jersey
2​

Last edited:
Please, input your tips in this particular order.

Strade Bianche_winner:
Milano-Sanremo_winner:
II Lombardia_winner:
Tour de France_1. place:
Tour de France_2. place:
Tour de France_3. place:
Tour de France_green jersey:
Tour de France_white jersey:
Tour de France_dot jersey:
WCITT MEN ELITE_winner:
WCRR WOMEN ELITE_winner:
WCRR MEN ELITE_winner:
La Flèche Wallonne_winner:
Amstel Gold Race_winner:
Ronde van Vlaanderen_winner:
Giro d'Italia_1. place:
Giro d'Italia_2. place:
Giro d'Italia_3. place:
Giro d'Italia_cyclamen jersey:
Paris-Roubaix_winner:
La Vuelta ciclista a Espana_1. place:
La Vuelta ciclista a Espana_2. place:
La Vuelta ciclista a Espana_3. place:
La Vuelta ciclista a Espana_3. place:

Explanation of partial points:
One day races: If your tip will not win the race but finish in podium you will still get 1 point.
Stage races: If your tip for the winner will finish on the podium you will get one point. If your tip for the second-place will finish first or third you will get one point. If your tip for third-place will finish first or second you will get one point.

Alright, new predictions for strange season:

Strade Bianche_winner: Van der Poel
Milano-Sanremo_winner: Gilbert
II Lombardia_winner: Nibali
Tour de France_1. place: Roglic
Tour de France_2. place: Bernal
Tour de France_3. place: Pinot
Tour de France_green jersey: Viviani
Tour de France_white jersey: Bernal
Tour de France_dot jersey: Pogacar
WCITT MEN ELITE_winner: (Who's even going instead of racing the Tour?) Dennis
WCRR WOMEN ELITE_winner: Van Vlueten
WCRR MEN ELITE_winner: Valverde
La Flèche Wallonne_winner: Valverde
Amstel Gold Race_winner: Van Der Poel
Ronde van Vlaanderen_winner: Van Aert
Giro d'Italia_1. place: Nibali
Giro d'Italia_2. place: S Yates
Giro d'Italia_3. place: Steven K
Giro d'Italia_cyclamen jersey: Sagan
Paris-Roubaix_winner: Pedersen
La Vuelta ciclista a Espana_1. place: Valverde
La Vuelta ciclista a Espana_2. place: E Mas
La Vuelta ciclista a Espana_3. place: I Izagirre
La Vuelta ciclista a Espana_3. place: (same 3rd is listed twice I'll pick Green Jersey winning instead): Valverde

LBL, G-W added>

Strade Bianche_winner:
Milano-Sanremo_winner:
II Lombardia_winner:
Tour de France_1. place:
Tour de France_2. place:
Tour de France_3. place:
Tour de France_green jersey:
Tour de France_white jersey:
Tour de France_dot jersey:
WCITT MEN ELITE_winner:
WCRR WOMEN ELITE_winner: