• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Presidential Cycling Tour of Turkey 2011

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
roundabout said:
I didn't say that he would.

But he is the best rider over 4 stages and has only himself to blame that he is so far down.

But he won't even blame himself, because he just doesn't care.
Because he is a sprinter, even making mention of him beeing "far down" in GC makes no sense and is an insult to yourself.

Arnout said:
So what? I really don't understand the obsession with GC's. Maybe if he wasn't so far down, he wouldn't have won todays stage.

Seriously, only guys that are capable of winning a race should care about the GC. All that "I can probably finish top 10 in the Presidential Tour of Turkey" is killing this smaller races (and the bigger races as well, but I can sort of understand it there).

Again, I am not saying that Petacchi cares about GC or should care.

However today has shown that he could have won the race as his position on GC had nothing to do with his win.

Cobblestoned said:
But he won't even blame himself, because he just doesn't care.
Because he is a sprinter, even making mention of him beeing "far down" in GC makes no sense and is an insult to yourself.

How is it an insult to myself, lol?

Seriously now.

Or are you saying that had he won all previous stages he would have been content to finish in the bus 46 minutes behind?

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
roundabout said:
How is it an insult to myself, lol?

Seriously now.

Or are you saying that had he won all previous stages he would have been content to finish in the bus 46 minutes behind?

Why ?
Because you loled and care about that. It's as simple as that.

A lonely day for a couple of Garmin guys: no-one finishes +/- within 6 minutes of either Vanmarcke or Travis Meyer:

48 Aitor Perez Arrieta (Spa) Lampre - ISD 0:04:35
49 Sep Vanmarcke (Bel) Team Garmin-Cervelo 0:25:33
50 Jaroslaw Marycz (Pol) Saxo Bank Sungard 0:31:36
51 Diego Milán Jiménez (Spa) Caja Rural 0:31:36
52 Travis Meyer (Aus) Team Garmin-Cervelo 0:38:09
53 Vitaliy Buts (Ukr) Lampre - ISD 0:46:54

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
Sneekes said:
A lonely day for a couple of Garmin guys: no-one finishes +/- within 6 minutes of either Vanmarcke or Travis Meyer:

48 Aitor Perez Arrieta (Spa) Lampre - ISD 0:04:35
49 Sep Vanmarcke (Bel) Team Garmin-Cervelo 0:25:33
50 Jaroslaw Marycz (Pol) Saxo Bank Sungard 0:31:36
51 Diego Milán Jiménez (Spa) Caja Rural 0:31:36
52 Travis Meyer (Aus) Team Garmin-Cervelo 0:38:09
53 Vitaliy Buts (Ukr) Lampre - ISD 0:46:54

days like these must be about the worst part of the job (although at least it wasn't snowing etc.) apart from anything else, usually get in that position due to fall or injury. lonely suffering for ages......................... i'd give anything to have days like that :)

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
I am so ****ed that Eurosport 1 shows this garbage race through Anatolia live on TV while they don't show anything of the Romandie. Pathetic:mad::mad::mad:

This "Garbage" race has attracted top tier sprinters for many years. It is through some incredibly beautiful country, and seems to be well organized and supported.

So why the condescension?

I don't know about eurosport 1, but certainly there is some resistance by broadcasters to televise long and relatively unimportant races, as opposed to races that require only a few minutes of air time to summarize.

stage5.gif

Some climbing early in the day, most sprinters will get dropped but on this form Petacchi will be there at the end. Hopefully the group is small enough to allow some attacks to fly on the descent/flat.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Coverage of all the downhill and nothing else, much as expected.
Another break that isn't coming back.
This race is one of the hardest to control, even if their finishes leave quite a bit to be desired.

Who is in the break?