• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

(Presidential) Cycling Tour of Turkey [April 11th-April18th 2021]

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Lefevere again showing that he’s the smartest guy running a team: he got Cavendish for practically nothing, which means nice publicity at zero risk and a chance of huge publicity if it goes right. Now it’s going right and DQS get a thousand times the publicity they’d get from winning stages in Turkey normally. Lots of people hate Lefevere, but nobody doubts his cunning.

He was saying yesterday that they’d promised Hodeg the Giro, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Cavendish taking that role. Losing with Hodeg is much less valuable than losing with a resurgent Cav, coming off the back of a bunch of small wins. Winning with Cavendish there would be a publicity jackpot.

PCS have this as their Giro longlist:

Deceuninck - Quick Step

Reactions: Sandisfan
Maybe by this time they'd given up on Hodeg, like any normal person would have. But from this team i would think Bagioli, Knox or Honoré are those most likely to lose their spot. They need a road captain like Keisse, they need a guy for all terrain like Serry, who will take over from Keisse when things get harder. But if they bring a sprinter, they're gonna need at least one guy in support, Keisse can't do everything. I guess Knox would be the most likely guy to shift towards the TDF team, in support of Alaphilippe, maybe a tad too soon for Bagioli?

Maybe by this time they'd given up on Hodeg, like any normal person would have. But from this team i would think Bagioli, Knox or Honoré are those most likely to lose their spot. They need a road captain like Keisse, they need a guy for all terrain like Serry, who will take over from Keisse when things get harder. But if they bring a sprinter, they're gonna need at least one guy in support, Keisse can't do everything. I guess Knox would be the most likely guy to shift towards the TDF team, in support of Alaphilippe, maybe a tad too soon for Bagioli?
As of yesterday Lefevere was saying Hodeg is to sprint at the Giro. It seems pretty strange, but officially that seems to be the current plan.

As of yesterday Lefevere was saying Hodeg is to sprint at the Giro. It seems pretty strange, but officially that seems to be the current plan.
At this point Evenepoel has a bigger shot at winning a stage than Hodeg. Even a sprint, lol.
I suppose they're gonna wait for the Vuelta to bring Jakobsen. Maybe they can bring Cav and Hodeg and have them tag-team the sprints every other day? Or go for whoever's got the legs? Actually, how many real sprint stages will there be in the Giro?

In a team with Bennett, Ballerini, Cavendish and (if he were to get fully back on track before the end of the year) Jakobsen, it would be pretty ridiculous to have the Hodeg of the past 18 months be your sprinter in any GT. With Ballerini's form having been toast the past month, I'd send either Cav or no sprinter at all to the Giro. Then pencil in Ballerini for the Vuelta (who could do a '17 Trentin there) and phase out Hodeg, who has had and missed enough opportunities at this point, if I were QS.

Reactions: dicanio_michael
At this point Evenepoel has a bigger shot at winning a stage than Hodeg. Even a sprint, lol.
I suppose they're gonna wait for the Vuelta to bring Jakobsen. Maybe they can bring Cav and Hodeg and have them tag-team the sprints every other day? Or go for whoever's got the legs? Actually, how many real sprint stages will there be in the Giro?
5 or so I think

Lefevere again showing that he’s the smartest guy running a team: he got Cavendish for practically nothing, which means nice publicity at zero risk and a chance of huge publicity if it goes right. Now it’s going right and DQS get a thousand times the publicity they’d get from winning stages in Turkey normally. Lots of people hate Lefevere, but nobody doubts his cunning.

He was saying yesterday that they’d promised Hodeg the Giro, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Cavendish taking that role. Losing with Hodeg is much less valuable than losing with a resurgent Cav, coming off the back of a bunch of small wins. Winning with Cavendish there would be a publicity jackpot.
Hodeg is really bad at this moment, even Ballerini could outsprint him 10 out of 10 these days. He lost himself today again in the leadout trying to battle Cav for the wheel of Philipsen. He just didn't know what himself was doing in a race anymore.

I hope if they intend to bring a sprinter to Giro, it would be Ballerini.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think you're way too young to be allowed to complain about feeling old...
Well, the lockdowns certainly make you think about age more often. You probably didn't spend your early twenties just sitting at home staring at a screen all the time.
Then again considering how much time we are all spending on this forum and watching cycling races, you probably did.

Ey3Qov3WQAArgRA

TRENDING THREADS