• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Prize money for Worlds 2017 in Bergen

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
AQETUYIOI said:
Ruby United said:
The sacrosanct magical invisible hand of the free market. Which obviously exists. That's why teachers are paid ten times less than an average CEO. Because the market is always right. The free market is god. God is the free market. #edgyancap
We live in a mixed economy, not a free market!

Teachers are usually employed by the state.
Brullnux said:
No. Freedom and rights are the free market.
That is sacrosanct.
Politicians/central planners promise 'freedom and rights'.

You switched my quote with Brullnux's and visa-versa. Please rectify with an edit.

Echoes said:
It's not sacrosanct. I neither believe in freedom nor in rights. We have rights if we have duties.

No.

Every single person has the right to live his or her life however they want as long as they don't infringe on the rights of others.

The second you say "I neither believe in freedom nor in rights" you distance yourself from any Western culture or liberal Western democracy. You also allow for the rise of an authoritarian dictatorship or tyranny and take power from people.

There is a reason why the most powerful alliance in the world's history is that of the Western countries.

Perhaps duty does exist. But your rights depend on nothing. By inventing clauses which have to be fulfilled in order to have freedom, rights and civil liberties, arbitrarily imposed laws can strip you of anything.

Ruby United said:
Echoes said:
It's not sacrosanct. I neither believe in freedom nor in rights. We have rights if we have duties.
No.

Every single person has the right to live his or her life however they want as long as they don't infringe on the rights of others.

The second you say "I neither believe in freedom nor in rights" you distance yourself from any Western culture or liberal Western democracy. You also allow for the rise of an authoritarian dictatorship or tyranny and take power from people.
When you give people 'freedom and rights'(paid for/produced by other people), you get 'an authoritarian dictatorship or tyranny and take power from people'.
Ruby United said:
There is a reason why the most powerful alliance in the world's history is that of the Western countries.

Perhaps duty does exist. But your rights depend on nothing. By inventing clauses which have to be fulfilled in order to have freedom, rights and civil liberties, arbitrarily imposed laws can strip you of anything.
One has to produce/provide etc(duty), before one can have/receive/consume etc(have rights to).

AQETUYIOI said:
Ruby United said:
Echoes said:
No.

When you give people 'freedom and rights'(paid for/produced by other people), you get 'an authoritarian dictatorship or tyranny and take power from people'.
Ruby United said:

One has to produce/provide etc(duty), before one can have/receive/consume etc(have rights to).

Unfortunately, you have misunderstood the terms 'duty' and 'rights' as they are understood in the context in which I mentioned them.
By 'rights' I was clearly discussing, as I wrote, the right to act as you want without infringing on others' right.
I obviously did not mean the right to receive without producing.

Re: Re:

Jspear said:
Scarponi said:
PremierAndrew said:
At least there's equal prize money for the men and women, it's something
I'll open a can of worms here but it shouldn't be equal. One gets a higher viewership and one has a demanding course. Tennis and cycling shouldn't have the same for the women imo

I agree (on cycling- can't speak to other sports...don't really watch them).

They shouldn't get paid as much because they don't bring as much to the table. Once they've reached the viewing numbers and are bringing their sponsors as much as the men, then salaries could be equaled.
Not picking on your comment specifically among the many echoing these sentiments, but just that it was the most recent.

The big problem with this line of argument is not the actual argument itself, i.e. that higher viewership numbers yield more value to sponsors, justifying higher prize money and salaries. It's that at present the coverage for the women is so limited that they are offered very limited opportunities to reach the full potential audience. Is that potential audience as high as that of men's cycling? Perhaps not. But when you only have limited opportunities to see races, and when you do it's seldom with the same slick, professional coverage of the men's race and usually in heavily edited form, it's naturally going to be hard for fans to form the same bond with the riders and teams, and become invested in them in the same way. The amount of effort sometimes required to stay up to date with women's cycling understandably turns a lot of potential fans away, fans who would be perfectly interested in the racing if it was made accessible to them. For the last several years we've found that, fairly universally, the women can put on a good racing show when given a course conducive to racing, and when they've put on dreadful shows, it's usually been on courses where the men's races were no good too.

Now, if, like with athletics, tennis, skiing (both Alpine and Nordic) and so on, the women's races and events got given coverage equivalent to the men with regularity (not just one-offs at the major events like the Worlds) and we had the same audience discrepancy, then that's one thing. But it's hard to judge the comparative audiences fairly when a World Championships is held, because you're comparing riders that fans see on TV every weekend and often several weekdays for eight months of the year to riders who get that level of coverage two or three times a year, tops. It's hard to say "that in itself speaks volumes" unless the footage of the women had dwindled from a position of relative parity due to lack of interest; it simply hasn't grown to that level, although it must be said that professionalism in the péloton, depth and coverage is improving in recent years; however, it does remain at a position where for much of the season - including some very important races - only the dedicated will be able to put in the effort required to keep tracks of what's going on. It's hard to blame people whose interest is passive or casual for not going to the extents required to keep tabs on races that are difficult to follow and only watching the periodic major races that are broadcast in full, and consequently it's hard to blame them for only having a passing interest in the women's péloton, therefore they could watch attacks pinging all over the place, but without a frame of reference for what's a move to watch and what isn't, and riders that they have developed particular reasons to root for or against, it's hard to blame them for not becoming invested in it.

It's difficult because cycling is a kind of unique case in the sporting world when it comes to integrating the men's and women's races. A lot of events on closed circuits or fields are able to comfortably integrate the two genders' races, and we do see this in cyclocross and mountain biking too. Tentative steps made to this effect in women's road cycling have the issue that the men's events are often long-ingrained races with long histories and the women's races only have prestige by proxy because of conflation with the men's equivalent, but at the same time it's a lot easier to introduce a newcomer to women's cycling to who is who and their relevant achievements when those achievements are a known quantity; you don't need to know anything specific about women's cycling to know what winning Flèche Wallonne or de Ronde van Vlaanderen mean, whereas to the casual fan the Trofeo Binda or GP Vårgårda don't have the same immediacy despite being prestigious and established women's races. Creating a system akin to Nordic skiing or biathlon where the women do a World Cup type series of stage races and one-day races at the same time as the men has too many direct flaws - alternating the days of racing between the men and women as the snowsports often do would be a disaster for the concept of stage racing, while the point-to-point method of racing makes this harder logistically, as well as running the risk of killing off supportive long-term sponsors and races in favour of a facsimile of the men's calendar, or cheapening the men's races in distance or difficulty to make room for the women's events. Not to mention that, although that was the plan of the ProTour at its inception, a travelling circus of the same big stars doing all the big races à la F1 is not possible in cycling because of the wild variations in courses and who they suit, plus the various smaller races that need propping up with star power on the national scenes, and so on.

Cycling more closely resembles sportscars, where the FIA controls the regulations, but have to regularly jump to ACO's tune, because ACO owns the 24h du Mans, which is more important than the rest of the calendar, and there are other nationally-focused series running their own rules which are often only partially homologous with FIA's or ACO's. Teams that run the 24h don't always run full FIA series elsewhere, but instead can pop up to compete in chosen events in other series. This makes a fully integrated men's/women's calendar very difficult to envisage in the near or medium-term future in cycling.

The alternative may then be to have a separate organizing body from the UCI, or at the very least a separate working group within the UCI. Some of the sports where the women's events are most well-regarded are ones where an independent governing body for the women's sport has worked hard to establish its own events. Golf is a good example, for the LGA spent many years working tirelessly to build up the sport, and this gives perhaps a good indication of a sport where the women's events have built up their own prestige. Tennis is an interesting hybrid, where there are standalone women's events (which have their own audience and coverage) as well as the integrated events including all of the majors, with both men's and women's competitions. That may be the most reasonable goal for women's cycling, but obviously to this day the same arguments regarding salaries, exposure and value continue to periodically raise their heads in women's tennis, which has a much longer history of comparative equality than women's cycling.

The thing is, we're at a difficult crossroads with women's cycling. The authorities that count are in an awkward position at the moment. There's too much tentative prodding in the direction of equality, too much half-hearted notions of promotion, for it to really take hold. What good is ASO producing a one-day race that allows the women to be filmed going back and forth on the Champs Elysées to creating new fans, if there's only a 20-minute highlight show for the Giro stage when the best young rider attacked 70km and three mountains from home and the maglia rosa set off 50km out to join her with the 2nd place on GC in hot pursuit? What's more likely to excite fans, seeing a flat bunch kick finish but with a large crowd of people clapping politely, or 2 hours of continual action in a mountain stage? What good is ASO moving that one-day race into midweek to give the women a chance to climb a mythical mountain if it threatens to kill off a long-established 7 day stage race? The UCI needs to decide, do they want to push women's cycling to grow under their tutelage, or do they want it to grow independently of them, which may entail passing over responsibility for administering the sport to an either independent or affiliated women's cycling organization along the lines of the LPGA or WTA? If they want it to grow under their tutelage, they need to make firmer demands of organizers and broadcasters to ensure that sufficient coverage is given, not just to the crappy pseudo-crits but to the more interesting races, to give the women's races a chance to take root with the audience, and then judge where its marketing and viewership potential lies once the opportunities have been there.

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
SKSemtex said:
I assume everybody read the article here in CN regarding the price money in Bergen.

If not here is the link http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/no-change-to-worlds-prize-money-in-bergen/

This is just ridiculous. Something is really wrong in cycling. I wonder what is the year pay check of Mr. Cookson but he must be a very bad and incompetent manager.

I know that all prize money in this sport is jokes but 7000 EUR for the win in probably hardest one-day sports performance watched by several hundred tousends on the place and millions on TV is the "nice" certificate of competency of UCI management.

In Cycling race money means nothing, everyone that knows cycling knows this . Its just food money. THey are still multi millionaires. Its like in Cross COuntry skiing, *** price money but millions in sponsor money.. Simple.

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site

Price money means *** for women as well as men, its all about sponsors.. Price money is just old way before sponsors to look at a sport.. Stupid

Ruby United said:
Brullnux said:
Ruby United said:
Echoes said:
They are not underpaid, they are overpaid, definitely. As much as I dislike Mr Cookson, CHF340,000/year is a lot less than the best paid rider (needless to remind you of who that is and of who made that possible).

Cycling might be hard but it's way less hard than working on an assembly line in a factory or as a bricklayer on a building site. Beside it's less hard than triathlon while triathletes are lesser paid.

As Marc Madiot said in the new version of his book "Parlons vélo" (Talent sport, 2017):

We are not a sport for the rich. If you want to be a billionair, you should not cycle. You should do Formula 1, tennis or football. If you do "cycling", it is only misery. It is a bit of a masochist thing but it is our DNA. When you are in such a world, real personalities are emerging: Bernard Hinault, Jacques Anquetil, Raymond Poulidor, Eddy Merckx, Luis Ocaña. They stood out. Froome and such are all kind but if you put them on the Champs-Élysées, nobody would recognise them.

In terms of their salary, I don't think that they are underpaid or overpaid. They are paid just right. That is the nature of a free market.
The sacrosanct magical invisible hand of the free market. Which obviously exists. That's why teachers are paid ten times less than an average CEO. Because the market is always right. The free market is god. God is the free market. #edgyancap

That is sacrosanct.
Completely irrelevant. You talked of how the free market, despite always assuming an oligarchical structure, decides pay perfectly. The invisible hand. The free market is not just.

Can some of you lads take the sophomoric libertarian drivel to a more appropriate forum please?

We have quite enough nonsense on this thread already from men who are very concerned about the possibility that women might actually receive equal pay in one small corner of a sport that otherwise pays them a small fraction of male riders salaries.

Sep 12, 2017
Visit site
A 7000€ winning prize really is crazy small.
I saw a moment ago Lilian Calmejane's odd at 251 for the win. I like the idea that if I bet 50 bucks on him and he makes it, I win more money than he does ! :D

Monte said:
SKSemtex said:
I assume everybody read the article here in CN regarding the price money in Bergen.

If not here is the link http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/no-change-to-worlds-prize-money-in-bergen/

This is just ridiculous. Something is really wrong in cycling. I wonder what is the year pay check of Mr. Cookson but he must be a very bad and incompetent manager.

I know that all prize money in this sport is jokes but 7000 EUR for the win in probably hardest one-day sports performance watched by several hundred tousends on the place and millions on TV is the "nice" certificate of competency of UCI management.

In Cycling race money means nothing, everyone that knows cycling knows this . Its just food money. THey are still multi millionaires. Its like in Cross COuntry skiing, **** price money but millions in sponsor money.. Simple.
I know that cycling is "sponzor money sport",
But it is question, whether it is good or not. I think, that this race can generate a lot of money and the actors should get some part of this cake. 7000 devided by team nombers is realy joke. TDF price money is similar piece of ***.
I wonder if that can be changed and if that can influance the performance of some riders. Especially some low paid domestics as the price money should be always considered as "price money for team".

Ruby United said:
AQETUYIOI said:
Ruby United said:
Echoes said:
No.

Ruby United said:

Unfortunately, you have misunderstood the terms 'duty' and 'rights' as they are understood in the context in which I mentioned them.
By 'rights' I was clearly discussing, as I wrote, the right to act as you want without infringing on others' right.
I obviously did not mean the right to receive without producing.
The topic: 'Prize money for Worlds 2017 in Bergen'

Your posts:
Ruby United said:
So would I. And I would also be OK with men getting a bigger prize than women if they generated more interest than the women's race. I'm just not sure others on this forum would be.
Ruby United said:
In terms of their salary, I don't think that they are underpaid or overpaid. They are paid just right. That is the nature of a free market.
Ruby United said:
That is sacrosanct.
So I assume a market/money/income/buying power/salary etc is the context?

You write 'distance yourself from any Western culture or liberal Western democracy', which are mixed economies, as in "'freedom and rights'(paid for/produced by other people), you get 'an authoritarian dictatorship or tyranny and take power from people'".

So by 'rights' in a market(mixed economy), you was clearly discussing, as you wrote, the right to act as you want without infringing on others' right, in a market(mixed economy).
I obviously interpret:
Ruby United said:
By 'rights' I was clearly discussing, as I wrote, the right to act as you want without infringing on others' right
...in a market, to mean the right to receive without producing. I.e. 'rights' in 'Western culture or liberal Western democracy' are built upon regulations/redistribution/central planning etc, and not a free market.

Brullnux said:
Ruby United said:
That is sacrosanct.
Completely irrelevant. You talked of how the free market, despite always assuming an oligarchical structure, decides pay perfectly. The invisible hand. The free market is not just.
We live in a mixed economy, i.e. pay is not decided by the free market/the invisible hand.

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
The riders don't ride worlds for the money. Nor do they ride in general for it. Cycling is not a big money sport. You could put all of Cookson's salary into the prize pool and the winners would still make very little.

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Durden93 said:
The riders don't ride worlds for the money. Nor do they ride in general for it. Cycling is not a big money sport. You could put all of Cookson's salary into the prize pool and the winners would still make very little.
i think money are really important also for cyclist the salary of sagan is 6 milion so , cyclist ride for money

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site

telencefalus said:
Durden93 said:
i think money are really important also for cyclist the salary of sagan is 6 milion so , cyclist ride for money

But Sagan is not typical. A world tour rider might be at 100k euros. That's good money but:
1) You must follow a strict diet and training regime
2) Maintaining relationships is difficult
3) Your career is short

Remember that just because a teams's payroll is high does not mean everyone is a millionaire. On Bora Sagan and Majka take it in, the others less so.