• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Public money and the "spectacle"

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Hitch said:
Also, how do you go about collecting money from 500 000 people on Alpe d huez?
Well it is one traffic jam allready, so it's not like everyone has to wait before the money is collected.

But seriously, i think it can be done and i don't think it would harm attendance at all if you have to pay 5 or 10 euro to go up the mountain. I'm not sure if it would be a good idea though, because for a TDF it is just another way to make big money.

For the smaller races on the other hand, well i for one am not going to pay 10 euro to wait hours and watch the sprint for the "ronde van het groene hart"....

Arnout said:
What they can probably do is sell VIP places, which grants you a place at the finish on the grandstand and also provides you with meal, a visit to a teambus (without riders in it of course) and most importantly a meet and greet with the podium girls (just naming a few things).

But the appeal for cycling is that it is accessible. Charging tickets for a 1 minute shot of a peloton racing by doesn't make it more accessible. At all times there should be free places available everywhere (also at the finishing line).
I don't agree that there allways should be free places available. I think someday someone will really build a 'cycling' circuit, just like Spa-francorchamps is a auto-racing circuit. So an area of a few square km with public roads that can be closed (the acces to the area) and have permanent seating and standing facilities. Like a cycle-cros area.

If someone would 'build' this in the north of the netherlands (where no climbs can be found) and would make this a an area with a couple of climbs a la LBL or the gold race, adds a few cobblestone sections, makes sure that you have a great view of a huge part of the circuit and get some big named teams and riders to race, then yes i could understand that this require fans to pay for acces and would have no problem with it.

Roninho said:
I don't agree that there allways should be free places available. I think someday someone will really build a 'cycling' circuit, just like Spa-francorchamps is a auto-racing circuit. So an area of a few square km with public roads that can be closed (the acces to the area) and have permanent seating and standing facilities. Like a cycle-cros area.

If someone would 'build' this in the north of the netherlands (where no climbs can be found) and would make this a an area with a couple of climbs a la LBL or the gold race, adds a few cobblestone sections, makes sure that you have a great view of a huge part of the circuit and get some big named teams and riders to race, then yes i could understand that this require fans to pay for acces and would have no problem with it.

With that you lose all the appeal of cycling. The appeal of cycling is that it goes everywhere, that the riders travel 200km a day on good roads, bad roads, steep hills, villages, everything.

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Interesting views.

Pay in or not, something I'd encourage though, are do go watch you local races, your U-23s, 2.2s and 2.1 ones.

Catch them a few times, get a map and trace your route to coincide 3 or 4 times with the cyclists:

You tune into race radio, open up your picnic, go look at the local castle or whatever. You then hear the helicopters, then you see them, then some out riders and police come screeching past to close the roads. You hear the race caravan, and finally you see you break away. You time the gap, takes photo's, try and spot your favourite riders or teams. You jump back in the car and chase of 20km down the road to catch the riders at another point... Etc till the finish. Like a rally.

The Tour probably spoils this since they close the roads hours before.

The little races are the ones that need support. Cyclists contest these races with as much gusto as the big races.

The reason I think paying in isn't so bad, is that the race could organise things for the fans like buses and and big screens etc... As with other sports.

Cycling would still be free, still pass all the little towns. But for those that want something extra, why not a vip to the race village and some hotspots en route? Even if you had just 1000 fans paying 30€ per day (football, motorsports are still far more expensive) that would really help smaller races along and bring fans closer to the sport.

The Tour doesn't need any help, but those French races struggling under new police tariffs for example do.

Fester said:
Interesting views.

Pay in or not, something I'd encourage though, are do go watch you local races, your U-23s, 2.2s and 2.1 ones.

Catch them a few times, get a map and trace your route to coincide 3 or 4 times with the cyclists:

You tune into race radio, open up your picnic, go look at the local castle or whatever. You then hear the helicopters, then you see them, then some out riders and police come screeching past to close the roads. You hear the race caravan, and finally you see you break away. You time the gap, takes photo's, try and spot your favourite riders or teams. You jump back in the car and chase of 20km down the road to catch the riders at another point... Etc till the finish. Like a rally.

The Tour probably spoils this since they close the roads hours before.

The little races are the ones that need support. Cyclists contest these races with as much gusto as the big races.

The reason I think paying in isn't so bad, is that the race could organise things for the fans like buses and and big screens etc... As with other sports.

Cycling would still be free, still pass all the little towns. But for those that want something extra, why not a vip to the race village and some hotspots en route? Even if you had just 1000 fans paying 30€ per day (football, motorsports are still far more expensive) that would really help smaller races along and bring fans closer to the sport.

The Tour doesn't need any help, but those French races struggling under new police tariffs for example do.

Yes I could go with this, which really isn't off the sentiment of what I previously would agree to in Arriviste's thoughts on the matter.

For it's one thing to offer "vip" experiences to those willing to pay the cash, entirely something else charging 250,000 spectators on the Alpe d'Huez. Those organizers don't need an extra couple of million euros.

I read an article today in a belgium newspaper where organisations of the smaller races think it is inevitable to charge entrance fees in the future to survive. Bigger races like Flanders or PR don't have any problems because of sponsorship and entourage, but smaller races are struggling more and more. Do you think it is inevitable and maybe could be a good idea in combination with crowd control?

TRENDING THREADS