• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Purito - Joaquim Rodriguez thread

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
the asian said:
I am still tying to figure out ways he can be even more boring and win, considering his capabilities.

You shouldn't need to spend too long!

He simply bides his time and marks other riders and puts himself in the frame at the right time, rather than going on the offensive of his own accord all the time.

Think about the way Stephen Roche won in 1987 and Wiggins last year a stage race is won by ensuring no bad days, or at least not giving the game away if you are having a bad day. I'm sure he has learnt a valuable lesson from La Vuelta 2012.

He saves his legs and follows others and only attacks when absolutely necessary. He follows others and keeps something in the bag, works on his TT between now and then to minimise time loss. Embrun to Chorges TT shouldn't be a bad stage for him, plenty of undulation.

hmsgenoa said:

He simply bides his time and marks other riders and puts himself in the frame at the right time, rather than going on the offensive of his own accord all the time.

Think about the way Stephen Roche won in 1987 and Wiggins last year a stage race is won by ensuring no bad days, or at least not giving the game away if you are having a bad day. I'm sure he has learnt a valuable lesson from La Vuelta 2012.

He saves his legs and follows others and only attacks when absolutely necessary. He follows others and keeps something in the bag, works on his TT between now and then to minimise time loss. Embrun to Chorges TT shouldn't be a bad stage for him, plenty of undulation.

That's what he already does. He very rarely attacks until the last KM.

the asian said:
Yr, but this is because we've run out of options in guessing a WT that could accommodate him.

If he joins a Pro conti team IAM and Cofidis seam to be his likely options. He said that the team he was closest to join hasn't been mentioned in the media yet, and IAM was mentioned in the media, so this leaves only cofidis.

And even though it is not a WT team they are guaranteed to ride the Tour, Vuelta, LBL & FW.
Cofidis may be able to hire one or two of his KAT friends too. So this rumor is starting to make a lot of sense to me.

hmsgenoa said:

Good job! Although, he needs bonus seconds in order to contend for a GT. So he has to gor for those bonuses, thus he's still has to ride spectacularly. :D

afpm90 said:
If he says that he has to be a boring rider in order to win a GT, it's because he thinks of himself to be an exciting rider. The interviewer brings the term spectacular, not of thin air, but because that was implied in Rodriguez answer. And then in his response he says that if he ever is again in a situation to win, he has to think less in a spectacular cycling.

Again, he doesn't say that. He has to be a 'boring' rider when he's in a situation like he was in last years' vuelta until Fuente De, meaning he should've never left Alberto's side, that's it. Obviously, if you want to make something big of his words, feel free ;)

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Do Cofidis have that kind of money ? If they did would they not have signed some bigger names in the off season ? Or can the team negotiate with the sponsor for more money after they have already agreed on a contract ?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
deValtos said:
Do Cofidis have that kind of money ? If they did would they not have signed some bigger names in the off season ? Or can the team negotiate with the sponsor for more money after they have already agreed on a contract ?

cofidis have a ton of money and you don't understand how french teams work

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
cineteq said:
Cofidis may be able to hire one or two of his KAT friends too. So this rumor is starting to make a lot of sense to me.

Good job! Although, he needs bonus seconds in order to contend for a GT. So he has to gor for those bonuses, thus he's still has to ride spectacularly. :D

Must confess hadn't counted that a lot of his gains at la vuelta were the result of time bonuses - he'll have to be extra specially cagey;) The thought of him, Froome and Contador going at it hammer and tongs again is mouthwatering.

Re last kilo attacks, hmmmm going to have to try and see those stages again. Last Kilo attacks a fair comment, though in my opinion he could 'keep his powder dry' a little bit more, and had he done so he might not have 'collapsed' the way he did in the 2012 Vuelta.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
hmsgenoa said:
Must confess hadn't counted that a lot of his gains at la vuelta were the result of time bonuses - he'll have to be extra specially cagey;) The thought of him, Froome and Contador going at it hammer and tongs again is mouthwatering.

Re last kilo attacks, hmmmm going to have to try and see those stages again. Last Kilo attacks a fair comment, though in my opinion he could 'keep his powder dry' a little bit more, and had he done so he might not have 'collapsed' the way he did in the 2012 Vuelta.

Sorry but since when can purito pull down the hammer besides in the last km?

With that tactic he'll never win the tour and sadly enough for him he has no other game.

Miburo said:

With that tactic he'll never win the tour and sadly enough for him he has no other game.

I think he realizes that he's not well-rounded enough to win the Tour but he certainly can win the Giro and/or the Vuelta. He was 16 seconds from the top step at the Giro and a tactical error & a moment of inattentiveness cost him the Vuelta.

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Miburo said:

Que?

My comments were refering to someone elses earlier comments.

He may be viewed as a one trick pony but you understimate anybody if you dont believe they can adapt. Just because he's an explosive rider doesn't mean he cannot mark other riders and be in the right place at the right time across a number of stages in future races, he's said he'll modify his approach. Dont think he should be underestimated.

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
cineteq said:
Even if KAT wins, it's not assured a place in the 18-team WT. Purito most likely go to Lampre or Cofidis.

Quite true. So if CAS rules in Katusha's favor, how long would UCI have to either grant or reject Katusha's WT status? It's probably better for Purito, assuming he has a deal, for CAS to reject Katusha's claim.

Viking said:
Quite true. So if CAS rules in Katusha's favor, how long would UCI have to either grant or reject Katusha's WT status? It's probably better for Purito, assuming he has a deal, for CAS to reject Katusha's claim.
Isn't that what happened to KAT's Giro bid? Purito kept saying he wanted to ride the Tour above all, thus RCS didn't wait. On the other hand, UCI said already that they will not have 19 WT teams. So even if CAS ruled in KAT's favor, I have no idea what would happen. Everything points to him leaving.