• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

QS 2018

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I've seen some whining & moaning about Cav's latest sprint victory from his rivals.

Irrespective of who is right or wrong, the broader picture is the fact Deceuninck, Alpecin & UAE should probably be careful not to overdo their dominance & leave something for the other teams.

Because this peloton will quickly go from functional to dysfunctional in no time. It's a bit obvious so far to see only 3 teams have won after six stages. Considering how important the Tour de France is to every sponsor, there are going to be a load of people p*ssed-off if they leave empty handed.

The other spritners and their team do seem a bit ordinary (since Caleb has sadly nave to leave), but it is getting a bit daft. The fact he was using any energy on the first stage he won to pick up green jersey points tells you everything about his confidence levels despite having been in the wilderness for years.

He was even emulating the Voeckler tongue today so will maybe get 4th overall on GC. :p

I have no doubt that Cav is on the best stuff and that makes a big difference but this kind of transformation is too big to explain away merely with doping. Mental factors do matter.

It's a "what came first? The chicken or the egg?" situation.

Going from a tractor who can't follow the slowest sprinters to feeling like God on wheels again (first in training, then in the Tour of Turkey) must have been a serious morale booster.

There always seems a common denominator with all the guys who people perceive as being mentally above the rest: they're winners. And you don't win a bike race just with your morale, you win it with your legs. No amount of never-quit attitude can give you the jump to outsprint a peloton in the Tour de France.

But it's not Cav's fault, he's just playing the same game as the rest & DQS have turned into masters of the current era. Good for him.

Reactions: roundabout
[QUOTE="SHAD0W93, post: 2588929, member: 22542"
Too be fair Viviani was never rated as a top sprinter before and Bennett was considered third on Bora.
[/QUOTE]

Only on the basis of who the others were. Sagan was the "star" and Ackermann was German. Had little to do with who was best sprinter, thus why Bennett left. Sad that Ackerman has faded so rapidly, Sagan in even worse form than last year.

They are truly on opposite ends of the spectrum. While Quickstep can turn any bum into a winner, Cofidis would turn known stars in to bottle carriers.
Cofidis have improved a lot under Roberto Damiani. G Martin took it to the next level once he signed with them. Viviani has flopped, but that is just the Quickstep effect and there are rumours that he's not the hardest worker when he's on his own (last year he showed up in Betancur-shape at the first post-lockdown training camp).

Reactions: Ripper
Cofidis have improved a lot under Roberto Damiani. G Martin took it to the next level once he signed with them. Viviani has flopped, but that is just the Quickstep effect and there are rumours that he's not the hardest worker when he's on his own (last year he showed up in Betancur-shape at the first post-lockdown training camp).
There is no doubt some truth to this. Not sure about Vivian's work ethic, you could be right there as well. I had forgotten Damiani had come back to the top level ... been a while since the Lotto days!

Whether Confidis is truly at a better level might need a bit more evidence. I still think they might be the anti-DQS team ;)

Just look at how cavalier this guy is with his public demolition of his riders:

Patrick Lefevere likens Sam Bennett’s move to Bora to 'women who return home after domestic abuse' | Cyclingnews

Something tells me this is not coincidental or innocent, i.e. the liberty Lefevere seems to believe he has to totally annihilate & verbally abuse his own team means they're probably on the (best) juice & Lefevere believes they owe DQS everything.

Once you're in the system, there's no way out (unless you incriminate yourself). So the public abuse from their boss is just something they need to live with.

I mean there's just no way this appears like a "normal" employer/employee relationship, at all. It looks more like Lefevere has his own little fiefdom going & can throw sh*t at anyone & everyone within his team because he has them by the balls, basically.

That's what it looks like to me.

TRENDING THREADS