• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

QS 2019

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

macbindle said:
It wasnt a flat time trial so not sure what the fuss is about. I think he'll pay heavily for his time in yellow, in the coming days.

Now if he doesn't crack...then there will be a discussion to be had.
I don't think his time in yellow is hurting him. The way he got there expended some energy but on every other stage he's just hovering near the front, mostly coasting, head on a swivel, totally unbothered by the pace. His doms are just as world class as Ineos's roboarmy and the teams have been shouldering the burden more or less equally.

therealthing said:
brownbobby said:
I actually think he’s going to win the whole thing...if he can do that, with his build and the lead he’s building, there’s no reason he can’t hang on in the high mountains :surprised:

Would be the most doped win since the Armstrong days.

I think you'll find that some will agree with you, but others may cite more recent examples. All in good fun. :)

After two weeks of attacking and working in the QST train, putting 35+ seconds into a bunch of GC riders who have largely conserved energy, and who have shown over and over that they can race very good TTs 2/3 weeks into GTs - when Alaphilippe has never done that - is just stupid.

It seems possible that he just emptied the tank today and will blow up tomorrow. But I don't have a ton of belief that is going to happen.

Who didn't go all out today? I've never heard of a tactic of conserving energy in a TT (except for triathlon). And can these guys really "empty the tank" in 35 minutes? If so we need to switch to 35 minute mass start stages and dispense with the first 4 hours of each stage.

Re:

Koronin said:
What is he on? This is feeling like the early/mid 2000's. When do we get are next major doping scandal?

He seemed to get a lot of moto help today. I wonder how much that mattered.

I share your worry but at the moment it is still Alaphillipe at his very best although eye brow raising. I will be more surprised if he finishes in the last group tomorrow. Especially because you know Ineos are going to set a nasty tempo.

macbindle said:
luckyboy said:
It seems possible that he just emptied the tank today and will blow up tomorrow. But I don't have a ton of belief that is going to happen.

Did you see him at the finish? Didnt look like a man who had emptied the tank.

This is where part of the problem comes in.
Midnightfright said:
[quote="Koronin":3qgqonrx]What is he on? This is feeling like the early/mid 2000's. When do we get are next major doping scandal?

He seemed to get a lot of moto help today. I wonder how much that mattered.

I share your worry but at the moment it is still Alaphillipe at his very best although eye brow raising. I will be more surprised if he finishes in the last group tomorrow. Especially because you know Ineos are going to set a nasty tempo.[/quote]

I've started questioning Alaphilippe a bit last year and this year, but the way he looked after the TT does raise some red flags. Yes tomorrow will tell us more.

TRENDING THREADS