• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Quinn Simmons is the new Quinn Simmons

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I would like to take part in this conversation, but I honestly don't get the rules. I would have thought about 70% of these recent posts are political? (I am not calling for them to be deleted! I just don't understand how they are not political, while all of our first posts got deleted.)
Nothing to be gained by entering this discussion at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Doopie
Mod hat on:

To repeat, the forum has rules against the discussion of politics and we have little to no leeway with this. This discussion is further limiting what could possibly be allowed. Mention of someone's specific politics, or your interpretation of their politics will result in a ban. If we think your post implies this, it's also going to result in a ban. Responding to political posts and continuing the discussion will likely result in a ban.

If you have a problem with a post you can either report it or ignore it. We are not online 24/7 and moderation is reactive. Complaining about posts in the thread is getting very close to trolling, do not do it. If you have a problem with moderation you can contact the admins, @SHaines is probably the most active and is tagged here.

We do not like having to ban people and we do not like having to impose strict limits on conversation, but that's the position we are in.

Cheers,

KB.

To clear things up, are we allowed to discuss interpretations of QS' tweets? I would assume that we aren't allowed to discuss what constitutes racism, is that correct? The same for the state of affairs in the peloton? Or is it only in so far as it touches (party) politics that it is out of order?

To clear things up, are we allowed to discuss interpretations of QS' tweets? I would assume that we aren't allowed to discuss what constitutes racism, is that correct? The same for the state of affairs in the peloton? Or is it only in so far as it touches (party) politics that it is out of order?
It's near impossible to discuss politics these days without touching on politics. If there's specific incidents in cycling I think they're best discussed in threads of riders/teams related to them.

As for this thread, let's stick to Simmons' cycling career. It's not like you can't say he got suspended by the team for political tweets, but we shouldn't go towards stuff like Treks politics, etc.

It's near impossible to discuss politics these days without touching on politics. If there's specific incidents in cycling I think they're best discussed in threads of riders/teams related to them.

As for this thread, let's stick to Simmons' cycling career. It's not like you can't say he got suspended by the team for political tweets, but we shouldn't go towards stuff like Treks politics, etc.
+1. It's almost impossible to analyze corporate politics when they are in the business of selling a product, too. Their message changes with the times and it sounds like Simmons didn't get the memo. It'll give him time to read his contract so he doesn't end up like Alexi Grewal with a cigarette in his mouth as he won the '84 Olympic Road Race. Apparently he could take the USAC support, blood doping and all but still felt a need to make a statement.

He has clearly learned at least to keep his opinions on divisive issues to himself and not slash them on social media which is a significant improvement as I am sure previously he would have been all over the US election.

Lets hope that in 2021 he is hitting the headlines for exploits on the bike not off it as the longer his season went on the more genuinely competitive he was getting and could next year be a real asset for Trek in the cobbled classics.

Are we really going to start this discussion again, on Omloop Eve of all times?
Well its not like Omloop doesnt have its politics

"First held in 1945, the race was called Omloop van Vlaanderen ("Circuit of Flanders"). The event was initiated by Flemish newspaper Het Volk, in response to rivaling newspaper Het Nieuwsblad’s classic, the Tour of Flanders. Het Volk, of left-leaning publication, wanted to start a new cycling event in Flanders as a rival race to what it saw as the Tour of Flanders' closeness to the Nazis during World War II."

Even without making a political or moral judgement on his statements, from a PR standpoint the guy is quite simply thick as pig ***. The commotion was dissipating, just put your head down, say you'd rather move on and at least try and pretend like you've learnt something.

There are certain hills worth dying on, Smith and Collins on the podium of course, Ali not going to war definitely. Roy Keane in Saipan, certainly debatable ("You can stick it up your bollocks"). This isn't in the same universe as any of those things, no matter what he seems to believe. To incinerate yourself over this sort of thing completely negates all that scurrying and tripping over themselves Trek did when it first ignited, making them look like even bigger chumps than they already did. It causes a huge distraction at the start of the season and signals to any prospective future team 'Look at me, I'm a complete *** liability'.

I would've loved to see what the press officer's face looked like when he was banging on, the journos at that conference must've been *** delighted.

TRENDING THREADS