• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

R.E.S.P.E.C.T. to Chris Horner

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Moviefan1203 said:
Koronin said:
jmdirt said:
Chris will be sitting with Liggett for the TdF this year! He should be really entertaining!

From what I read it sounds like Bob Roll will be in the broadcast booth with Phil. Chris will replace Bob for the "round table" discussions.

I’m surprised Vande Velde didn’t get it.

Bob is the goofy personality. TV execs think that is what people want. I'd like the honest commentary every day.

Over/under on how many times Bob brings up knowing Lance; 10

woodburn said:
Moviefan1203 said:
Koronin said:
jmdirt said:
Chris will be sitting with Liggett for the TdF this year! He should be really entertaining!

From what I read it sounds like Bob Roll will be in the broadcast booth with Phil. Chris will replace Bob for the "round table" discussions.

I’m surprised Vande Velde didn’t get it.

Bob is the goofy personality. TV execs think that is what people want. I'd like the honest commentary every day.

Over/under on how many times Bob brings up knowing Lance; 10

I've watched him do color on 2 Vueltas and don't remember one Armstrong reference from Bob.

Koronin said:
jmdirt said:

Yes, that sounds like the deal. I posted based on a prelim. tweet that didn't have much info., but now there are a few more details.

Koronin said:
jmdirt said:

That's going to be ear-bleedingly awful. All those Kirby-haters out there need to realize just how bad commentary can be.

Leinster said:
Koronin said:
jmdirt said:

That's going to be ear-bleedingly awful. All those Kirby-haters out there need to realize just how bad commentary can be.

No kidding. I'll take Kirby to what we're going to be getting any day. Kirby is at least 100 time better than what NBC is giving us for commentary this year.

Anybody watch Chris Horner's youtube channel? He has been doing daily analysis videos during the vuelta & giro.

He could polish up his presenting skills, but I think he provides excellent insight to the race tactics of the teams. He is certainly not afraid to rip the strategies of some of these teams.

Really good one from vuelta stage 17 and he had a great episode too where he discussed his contract situation with Lotto and relationship with Bruyneel.
And a super detailed breakdown of his Angliru stage where he finally rode away from Nibali.

Too bad the season is over, but i will be looking forward to more of these next year.

Anybody watch Chris Horner's youtube channel? He has been doing daily analysis videos during the vuelta & giro.

He could polish up his presenting skills, but I think he provides excellent insight to the race tactics of the teams. He is certainly not afraid to rip the strategies of some of these teams.

Really good one from vuelta stage 17 and he had a great episode too where he discussed his contract situation with Lotto and relationship with Bruyneel.
And a super detailed breakdown of his Angliru stage where he finally rode away from Nibali.

Too bad the season is over, but i will be looking forward to more of these next year.

Yes! Saw someone recommend it on twitter and I've been following it since. Completely agreed - his delivery is a little wooden, but the insight is great. Would love to see him get a chance to do more than a panel and be one of the grand tour commentators for NBC (even though I really enjoyed Bob and Christian for the Vuelta this year; Bob and Phil at the Tour were horrendous this year, but that wasn't entirely their fault given they were an ocean apart).

Yes! Saw someone recommend it on twitter and I've been following it since. Completely agreed - his delivery is a little wooden, but the insight is great. Would love to see him get a chance to do more than a panel and be one of the grand tour commentators for NBC (even though I really enjoyed Bob and Christian for the Vuelta this year; Bob and Phil at the Tour were horrendous this year, but that wasn't entirely their fault given they were an ocean apart).
Yes, his delivery reminds me of a gameshow moderator from the 70ies. That said, the guy really knows his tactics and would actually be a great ds.

Reactions: JosefK
Recently watched the 2013 Angliru stage again. Still un-f*cking-believable. You could just see how hard Nibali tried, that series of attacks within a short time in the middle of the climb especially was absolutely insane, but Horner kept up with all of it. Beating Nibali that day was truly incredible

Recently watched the 2013 Angliru stage again. Still un-f*cking-believable. You could just see how hard Nibali tried, that series of attacks within a short time in the middle of the climb especially was absolutely insane, but Horner kept up with all of it. Beating Nibali that day was truly incredible
Still one of my if not favourite duels in modern cycling history. Monster climb, the mist/fog, crowds were huge and rabid, motorbikes stalling , camera footage all over the place just made it feel so epic, attacks from the bottom of the climb almost Jrod and Valverdes duel for third as a bonus. HNNGG

I've been loving his youtube videos. Don't always agree with his analysis, but it's interesting to hear a different perspective and he isn't afraid to call things differently to the majority view. I find his delivery to be fine personally. It would perhaps be better if he showed short video clips at times, but I guess he can't do that for copyright reasons.

Still one of my if not favourite duels in modern cycling history. Monster climb, the mist/fog, crowds were huge and rabid, motorbikes stalling , camera footage all over the place just made it feel so epic, attacks from the bottom of the climb almost Jrod and Valverdes duel for third as a bonus. HNNGG
One of my favourite too. Nibali was what, 3s behind Horner in GC before the stage, yet he attacked as soon as the steep part began, 6-7km from the top. That stage was also the birth of Kenny Elissonde.

• Love
Reactions: Scarponi
I've only watched a few of his videos. He's ok with the delivery, however it can improve.

As for someone saying he could be in the booth for the Tour, I'd take him over Phil easily. Personally I'd prefer Christian in the booth, and maybe Chris and Christian are who should be in the booth. That could be interesting as they have very, very different view points.

Re:

Yeah he is one of the better ones for sure. His interviews are always good value.
He's always known more of how races are won than Vandevelde which sometimes results in VdV jealously talking over him. Chris Horner knows where all the bodies are buried, too. Not sure I can handle the rest of the NBC cast after all this time. I did really enjoy Robby McEwan when he spoke on TdU broadcasts. He has the same strategic sense as Horner and a much better delivery.

Reactions: movingtarget