• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rabobank pulls out of pro-cycling

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Dutchsmurf said:
I would wait 2 years at least to see if it actually had any effect.

I think if you had faith in a new UCI management, and get in as a "foundation sponsor" on the basis of true clean cycling and transparency to fans & the public, with a good PR staff and social media programs, you could own the space. But genuine professionals, not the kind you see at Team Sky...

May 29, 2012
Visit site
UCI statement on Rabobank decision (UCI, 19.10.2012)

In light of the difficult period, namely the high public interest in past doping issues and perhaps a more recent action taken by the UCI against a rider of the team, the UCI understands the context which has led to this decision being reached.

It's the public's fault?

The 'public interest in past doping issues' is worse than a 'perhaps a more recent action taken by the UCI against a rider of the team'?

The public clearly have no idea?

...but in truth maybe the public do have power.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
TheEnoculator said:
Just woke up to this. I'm shocked, utterly shocked. Rabo survived Festina, Operación Puerto and Rasmussen, so why now?

Because like most Dutch Institutions they are jsut waking up to the fact that the Netherlands is going bust and has a currency that migh not last long. Their US business where all theuir growth was is shafted. And because cycling governance is useless they have just been provided the perfect excuse to drop the team.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Mr_Hansen said:
Understandable and the right decision.

Given the pitty response by the peleton and cycling team officials concerning the Armstrong case one has to conclude that still a lot of dirty guys out there just waiting that the storm calms down.

"...We are no longer convinced that the international professional world of cycling can make this a clean and fair sport.."

Exactly!

The peloton's response to the Armstrong case is a disgrace. Either there mouths are sealed by the Omerta or they are juicing themselves and i think it is part of both. I have no sympathy for the peloton. Mistake from the past???? Wake up peloton, your cycling fans now know the whole scoop about how you operate....TODAY!

May 19, 2010
Visit site
pelodee said:
UCI statement on Rabobank decision (UCI, 19.10.2012)

It's the public's fault?

The 'public interest in past doping issues' is worse than a 'perhaps a more recent action taken by the UCI against a rider of the team'?

The public clearly have no idea?

...but in truth maybe the public do have power.

UCI is true to form. Petty and pathetic.

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I welcome this. Good by Rabobank and good reasoning. Just hope that people will notice and remember the reasoning.

They are not pulling out because of past or current scandals, they stayed through all those scandals. They pull out cause of future scandals and a continuosly dirty sport they no longer believe will be fixed in the foreseeable future. That is the change, before they believed the sport would change, they no longer believe it and who can blame them.

All the riders screaming it is in the past, 10 years ago, now clean, future clean, new generation, young riders etc. etc. Rabobank(the sponsor) has heard it many times before and believed it every time until now. And analytically there is no reason to believe it now. USADA, Ferrari shows conspiracies up to this date, nothing has changed yet(regardless of how loud the anglo-saxens are screaming)). All the same people are still in charge and UCI shows no signs of wanting to change(the latest presser that blames public interest painfully demonstrates this). Hell, perhaps Rabo even have some off the record indication that the A-team at Sky doped this year, which many of us think(no change).

The only defendable reason for believing that things/culture has changed is naive faith. By looking at history, reactions from sport etc, any sober analysis of the situation must come to different conclusions and Rabobank has obviously used up their naive faith, brought in some cold-hearted analysts and made a perfectly reasonable business decision.

Respect to them for using their logical sense, and if Rabobank were present in my country I would change my bank business to them this minute.

If things truly change, they will come back.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
FignonLeGrand said:
Because like most Dutch Institutions they are jsut waking up to the fact that the Netherlands is going bust and has a currency that migh not last long. Their US business where all theuir growth was is shafted. And because cycling governance is useless they have just been provided the perfect excuse to drop the team.

Like the 15 million Rabobank spends every year to sponsor cycling has any meaningful effect on their profit margin. The effect will be similar to the amount of clenbuterol found in Contador's blood.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
British cyclist David Millar hits out at Rabobank's 'sickening' decision to quit cycling

"Millar tweeted: "Dear Rabobank, you were part of the problem. How dare you walk away from your young clean guys who are part of the solution. Sickening.""

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...banks-sickening-decision-to-quit-cycling.html

Millar has also seen through Rabobank's feeble excuse. The truth is, Rabobank the team has been let down by Rabobank the bank.

Danilot said:
British cyclist David Millar hits out at Rabobank's 'sickening' decision to quit cycling

"Millar tweeted: "Dear Rabobank, you were part of the problem. How dare you walk away from your young clean guys who are part of the solution. Sickening.""

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...banks-sickening-decision-to-quit-cycling.html

Millar has also seen through Rabobank's feeble excuse. The truth is, Rabobank the team has been let down by Rabobank the bank.
Rabobank implied they leave because of the UCI. Millar attacks Hein but says Pat can do the job if he distances himself from Hein.

I think Rabobank is being more honest than Millar here.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Danilot said:

EXACTLY what I said in my previous post. The least they could do was to be part of the solution now.

Were it not for Kimmage tarnishing the uci's image this would never have happened. Once he is taken care of, all will be fine. :D

On a serious note, thanks to Rabobank for sticking with it for so long, especially having endured all the scandals and especially Rasmussen (aren't there still legal matters ongoing?). Finally reached their saturation point.

Sadly, this is only going to keep people's mouths shut tighter with regards to the real problems.

TheEnoculator said:
EXACTLY what I said in my previous post. The least they could do was to be part of the solution now.

Seriously? Keep sponsoring whilst Sky rip everyone's legs off like its 1999.

I don't blame them. Especially seeing the UCI is trying to suggest that Barredo was Rabo's problem.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Is this the end of pro cycling? If it gets to a chain reaction like with the Armstrong supporters, other team sponsors will follow to drop out very soon. Not the the riders didn´t earn it. The reactions after the USADA investigation from the peloton were disgusting sometimes (the likes of Sam Sanchez "Hero, blabla"), hypocrisy at best ("it´s past, blabla"). That speaked volumes. Most of them are still dirty, and not caring at all about the public image/fans.

TheEnoculator said:

I believe this is a step towards a solution, money talks.

Sponsors a free to spend their money how they please, how could anybody be angry toward the longest running title sponsor in the peloton? Why would any company want their brand immersed in such a filthy environment? I don't blame them at all.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
On one hand I am sad...Rabo is one of my favorite teams...been around for a long time...on the other hand, this is what it is going to take...Rabobank remember Festina quite well...big scandal and then everyone talking about the bad old days and how things are shiny, pure and clean...that is what some, alot are trying to do now...say hello to david millar...if this sport is really to be cleaned up there needs to be alot of fired riders, alot of sponsors doing this...so ultimately I think this is good...money talks and BS walks...if 4 or 5 more sponsors go then we might finally see a real change...and yeah, that will involve alot of innocent folks...but it is going to take that for this slow witted beast of a sport to finally get it...let the bloodletting begin...otherwise, lots of talk, same old stuff...

Fidolix

BANNED
Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
This is entirely UCI´s fault, if sponsors don´t have faith in the govern body of the cycling sport, then how should they believe there will ever be progress in the future against doping.

And with the Verbruggen statesments all along and the passive fat Irishman doing absolutely nothing other than trying to defend mr. dopestrong, no f.... wonder they pull the plug, paying 15 million euros or what ever it is Rabo pays for this, just to be ridiculed by a bunch of corrupt and narcissistic azzholes, no thank you, only problem is the sport could lose a lot more of its major sponsors, if not there will be major changes in UCI immediately, but I don´t see either fat Pat or Verbruggen go any time soon.
But it´s very sad to see the sport loses old and faithful sponsors like Rabobank, though there are also rumors it´s because of bad economy and this was just the excuse they needed to pull the plug.

If the team can´t find a new sponsor, they could also lose their PT licens.

carponi finished fourth in the 2010 Giro d'Italia, while riding for Gianni Savio's Androni Giocattoli team. He joined the team in 2008 after completing an 18-month ban for his involvement in Operacion Puerto.

Scarponi has always denied doping but now risks a life-time ban for working with Dr Ferrari, who was banned from Italian sport in 2002. Scarponi also faces a detailed investigation by the Italian Olympic Committee.

It seems Scarponi continued to work with Dr Ferrari even in 2011, when he finished second behind Alberto Contador in the Giro d'Italia and was later named as the winner of the race following the Spaniard's doping suspension

Unfortunately not a lot has changed. Shut down Ferrari and the sport would clean up over night.

The UCI had their chance with the life-time ban issued by USADA. They choose to ignore it.

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Ah so 2011, my maths is poor but thats not 10-15 years ago is it ;) Wonder if some of the current blind & deaf peleton have cottoned on yet......

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Fidolix said:
But it´s very sad to see the sport loses old and faithful sponsors like Rabobank, though there are also rumors it´s because of bad economy and this was just the excuse they needed to pull the plug.

There is no such thing like that ("bad economy") for too big too fail banks. I am sure their decision is based solely on the bad reputation of pro cycling.
Congrats Rabobank, it´s the right decision.
Sponsors should drop out en masse until Heini gets legal punishment...That he will re-sign as honorary president is not enough.