• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rabobank pulls out of pro-cycling

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
hrotha said:
Meanwhile, Barredo feels some guilt because he fears his case has contributed to Rabobank pulling out, but rest assured, he's innocent. He literally says (no kidding) "I've never tested positive".

Are these guys really this stupid or do they live in their own protective bubbles................:rolleyes:

hrotha said:
Meanwhile, Barredo feels some guilt because he fears his case has contributed to Rabobank pulling out, but rest assured, he's innocent. He literally says (no kidding) "I've never tested positive".

To be fair on him his doping is from 2 years ago. Rabo check his passport and was able to sign him. The UCI approved it. Now the UCI are suggesting that it was Rabos fault. Are they seriously suggesting it was a sponsors fault?

That's Rabo's frustration. How can the passport be working if they can sign him and then he has a case to answer from 2 years ago!

It was the same for Kohl. He was signed by Lotto with a clean passport before the CERA positive came down.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:

LMAO.

RichWalk said:
Ah so 2011, my maths is poor but thats not 10-15 years ago is it ;) Wonder if some of the current blind & deaf peleton have cottoned on yet......

Yeah, it´s the same old song. I am tired of it. The riders (even those new ones from the "clean era") earn every bit of this massive meltdown. Until the deaf & blind get it hammered into their brains: "It´s your fault too, the past is just 2011/12, your generation!".

cineteq said:
Barredo RT yesterday's message :D
Sleep time or try it at less. THANKS to my family, to White Label team and to the people who support me. I'm going to flight to the end
Obviously Barredo has been promoting the team's new sponsor.
white-label-437182.jpg

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
That's Rabo's frustration. How can the passport be working if they can sign him and then he has a case to answer from 2 years ago!

Ashenden said it was pure PR, I liken it to current day Health & Safety Policy; your staff read it, sign so contractually then ignore it; with us it satisfies insurers, with teams its sponsors and the UCI.

Fidolix

BANNED
Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
Unfortunately not a lot has changed. Shut down Ferrari and the sport would clean up over night.

The UCI had their chance with the life-time ban issued by USADA. They choose to ignore it.

Of course hog, it would equal the same as shutting down the mother load, in this case the entertainment that makes cycling lucrative and interesting to watch, and therefor a good investment. Money runs the world, AND UCI...

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
wirral said:
Is this for real?

As posted elswhere:

I have not back read all the post, so this might have already come to light.

The bigger the question here is has the fallout from recent events begun? Or is this a result of the team's lack of bigger results?

Is cycling a tainted sport from which sponsorship will flee?

Fidolix

BANNED
Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
There is no such thing like that ("bad economy") for too big too fail banks. I am sure their decision is based solely on the bad reputation of pro cycling.
Congrats Rabobank, it´s the right decision.
Sponsors should drop out en masse until Heini gets legal punishment...That he will re-sign as honorary president is not enough.

I totally agree with you. Not that I want sponsors to leave the sport, after all it´s the sponsors the sport lives on, but it is probably the only way to put the necessary pressure on UCI.
But getting rid of McQuard and Verbruggen is far from enough, the entire organization must be rebuilt - or disbanded, it is not very reassuring an organization is the one who has the executive and judicial power and shall be his own judge.
A huge amount of work is ahead.

Danilot said:
British cyclist David Millar hits out at Rabobank's 'sickening' decision to quit cycling

"Millar tweeted: "Dear Rabobank, you were part of the problem. How dare you walk away from your young clean guys who are part of the solution. Sickening.""

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...banks-sickening-decision-to-quit-cycling.html

Millar has also seen through Rabobank's feeble excuse. The truth is, Rabobank the team has been let down by Rabobank the bank.

So, question for David Millar: why would you say 'Verbruggen was part of the problem, and he's still there so he has to go' and then say 'Rabobank was part of the problem, they're still there so they have to stay'? Because they have money?

Sponsors who were complicit WERE part of the problem. Rabobank is a direct tie back to those times. No problem with them going.

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
More carnage from the Armstrong fallout. Next time some some Armstronger claims the USADA destroyed cycling you remind them what a sack of sh't lieing scumbag Armstrong is and how HE had more to do with the current, yes current, state of cycling and it's negative perception than anyone else.

skidmark said:
So, question for David Millar: why would you say 'Verbruggen was part of the problem, and he's still there so he has to go' and then say 'Rabobank was part of the problem, they're still there so they have to stay'? Because they have money?

Sponsors who were complicit WERE part of the problem. Rabobank is a direct tie back to those times. No problem with them going.

Well duh.

Or maybe he just angry that a sponsor doesn't buy the new clean cycling narrative even if it makes Rabobank hypocrites.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Armstrong obviously helped kill my favourite team. My hatred for this man is ever growing. If he ever comes to the Toronto area, I'll let him hear it!

Looks like my Rabo cycling apparel is going to the basement now. *sigh*

the problem as i see it is that the uci will completely misinterpret this.

they will look at it and say: "you see we need to hide massive doping like armstrong and we should never prosecute anyone for bio-passport (Barredo) because that loses sponsorship".

i fear that is the solution they will come up with as opposed to: "if we run a tighter cleaner ship this is less likely to happen".

quick google translate of that:

The National Lottery takes note of the decision by Rabobank, as they have long been active as a cycling sponsor, in order to step out of the professional cycling. The National Lottery understands this decision but opts for a different approach, in particular the move towards a pure cycling. The many cycling fans are entitled to a sport where everyone competes on an equal footing and therefore equal chances of success (as is the case with the lottery games they offer).

As in the whole of its operation, uses the National Lottery in its cycling sponsorship to the highest ethical standards and puts them since taking office in the international peloton, in 1985, a zero tolerance policy on doping on to its sponsored teams. From small to large.

The Belgian Cycling Project of the National Lottery is indeed not only a major marketing tool (with a return on investment that is at least 4 times as large as the investment) but also consistent with its mission to create opportunities for everyone. Hence its cycling pyramid which (besides supporting various youth and promise teams, race organizers and volunteers of all kinds) talent identification and counseling center. And whose Lotto Belisol World Tour team the apex and will continue to form. Because without top is a pyramid pyramid no more ...
Cycling is one of the most popular sports in Belgium and the National Lottery will help determine its future continue. Not by a blind eye to what happened in the past is lost in the peloton, but its activities on a sound basis to continue ..

Young starters, talents and champions of tomorrow, are entitled to a fair chance in an ethical environment their talent to develop to. Sponsors who believe in the future of cycling should not continue to look back on yesterday but today, with the experience of the past, look to tomorrow and help build the future of cycling

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Well, after 14 years of non-stop debacles subjecting cycling to what is essentially a "death of 1000 cuts", I'm convinced the current model for international pro cycling is of a bad design, with bad actors in charge, and needs to be replaced. And the only way that's going to happen is to shut off the money spigot. Good for Rabobank. I can't believe its shareholders allowed the company's reputation to be sullied for so long. I hope the rest of the sponsors follow suit and bankrupt the UCI. NHL fans will tell you that you can live without your favorite sport on TV for a season or two. And we can still ride our own bikes. See? It's not so bad.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Rabobank is absolutely doing the right thing. I wish more sponsors would follow.

I'd like to see sponsor contracts written with a clause that states that the sponsorship will immediately end if any member of the team has a doping offense. Yea, the entire team folds. Too bad for the clean riders. Until everyone has a real stake in NOT doping, it'll continue.

Why? Because I think that real peer pressure is the only way it'll stop. Teams won't want shady riders that could result in them losing their jobs.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
richwagmn said:
Rabobank is absolutely doing the right thing. I wish more sponsors would follow.

I'd like to see sponsor contracts written with a clause that states that the sponsorship will immediately end if any member of the team has a doping offense. Yea, the entire team folds. Too bad for the clean riders. Until everyone has a real stake in NOT doping, it'll continue.

Why? Because I think that real peer pressure is the only way it'll stop. Teams won't want shady riders that could result in them losing their jobs.
lol. that would be the dumbest thing ever. some people will always cheat. learn to live with it. important thing is that whatever they use isn't much a factor as it was in the 90s, where riding jokes like riis, could win the tour

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Pantani_lives said:
I'm sorry that the riders of today have to pay for what happened years ago.

"... and the children will pay the sins of their parents..." says the Holy Scripture.

I think it is bad on the short term, but very good on the long term. After all this suffering of guilty, less guilty and innocent individuals, this episode will set a long lasting precedent of how cheating does not pay but that it costs a lot.

If the cleaning is done right, after the biggest fraud and doper of all time, lance armstrong, cycling might learn this time.