• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Design Challenge

The time has come for my race design challenge, people!

The idea is fairly simple. As you surely know, the 2017 Giro will be in fact the 100th edition. As such, everyone expects a route which has to be "meaningful" for the history and tradition of the Giro and/or Italy itself.

You'll have to design your own 100th Giro.

The rules are the following:
- Start and finish must be placed in Italy
- Can't have more than 2 stages abroad
- All the stupid UCI constraints are in effect. I want a believable route. If you need, you can ask the jury for an exception.
- Transfers of more than 75 kms can be made only during rest days

The jury:
- I'll be part of it :p
- I'm looking for a couple more members. If you want to apply, just send me a PM. I will announce the jury as soon as it is decided.
- Keep in mind that jury members will not compete, so if you wanna design a Giro, you can't be part of the jury

The competition:
Every participant will post one stage every other day. The jury will assign points to the best routes the day after each round. This system will hopefully encourage people to care about the progression of their stages and prevent overly backloaded routes. And it will add suspence to the competition ;) The points to be assigned will increase in the third week, and the last votation will have the highest number of points to assign. But even so, you don't want to fall back at the beginning.

I will post more details once I have a better idea of how many members are participating.

If you want to participate as a contestant, sign up on this thread or PM me. I will keep a list of players in this post.

The showcase will start on Monday, August 17th, when all players will have to post their stage 1 (the deadline will be at midnight UTC time). On Tuesday 18th the jury will assign the first points, and on the 19th it'll be time for stage 2 and so on.

You basically have the whole tdf to plan your route ;) Good luck!

EDIT:
And here we have the FINAL CLASSIFICATION!!!!!!!!

1. Barmaher 643

2. Gigs 636

3. Libertine 634

4. Brullnux 597
5. Stromeon 591
6. Billie 534
7. Finn 467

The routes:
Barmaher
Billie
Brullnux
Finn
Gigs
Libertine
Stromeon

Re:

Netserk said:
Big enough so it could realistically host a finish? I guess it's up to the jury to estimate how big that is, though it's not as big a problem in the Giro as in the Tour.
Hey will you play or what? ;)

No, there won't be any limit on the town size. There must be a town though :p You can't end a stage in the middle of a road

1.) I don't know if I have already written that but I will participate
2.) I think you wrote somewhere in the Race Design Thread that we are allowed to make a transfer of over 75 km's before the last stage if this last stage is either a typical flat mass start stage or a rather short ITT, but I couldn't find that post. Is this now really allowed and what is the maximum length of such a stage (I think you wrote that in this post too but as I already wrote, I can't find it)

Gigs_98 said:
2.) I think you wrote somewhere in the Race Design Thread that we are allowed to make a transfer of over 75 km's before the last stage if this last stage is either a typical flat mass start stage or a rather short ITT, but I couldn't find that post. Is this now really allowed and what is the maximum length of such a stage (I think you wrote that in this post too but as I already wrote, I can't find it)
There it is :) yes I confirm it is allowed, on those conditions
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=1757120#p1757120

Eshnar said:
Gigs_98 said:
There it is :) yes I confirm it is allowed, on those conditions
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=1757120#p1757120
Thx :)

Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
I shall enter, but my route is something of a rush. I shan't be able to do my eighty-paragraph stage summaries that I usually end up doing on the RDT here either I fear, do we just post the route or do we do a brief summary of the reasoning behind choosing that stage?
Whatever you want. The brief summary gets you style points, but the competition is about the route only. ;)

Are there points for how a route hangs together overall?

So my route has two themes.....

I try to visit every region in mainland Italy for either a stage start or a stage finish.
I try to pay homage to the classics. Lombardia, Strade Bianche, Roma Maxima and Milan San Remo will be addressed.

If you are judging every route by its individual stages, I may suffer.

Furthermore, my rough draft final week has two flat stages. I want to encourage racing on certain days. Am I shooting myself in the foot?

Re:

barmaher said:
Are there points for how a route hangs together overall?

So my route has two themes.....

I try to visit every region in mainland Italy for either a stage start or a stage finish.
I try to pay homage to the classics. Lombardia, Strade Bianche, Roma Maxima and Milan San Remo will be addressed.

If you are judging every route by its individual stages, I may suffer.

Furthermore, my rough draft final week has two flat stages. I want to encourage racing on certain days. Am I shooting myself in the foot?
the jury will judge each stage based on all they know at that point. So on stage 12 they'll judge all the stages up to the 12th

as for the last question, I don't see the problem. It depends really

OK, that makes sense I think.

I thought each stage was judged discretely, with more weighting being given to week 3. Seems like I misinterpreted, which is cool. So it is not a big deal to have a flat stage on Stage 17, as it will be judged in the context of the previous weeks.

Thanks, and sorry to be pedantic.

OVERVIEW
100th GIRO D'ITALIA stage 1: Milano - Verona (211 km)
0kBsFcG.png

100th GIRO D'ITALIA stage 2: Verona - Padova (141 km)
g0a9UdW.png

100th GIRO D'ITALIA stage 3: Abano Terme - Bologna (201 km)
UNVZ9wx.png

100th GIRO D'ITALIA stage 4: Bologna - Ancona (226 km)
loAeuNx.png

100th GIRO D'ITALIA stage 5: Jesi - Sarnano (198 km)
z3XhRsn.png

100th GIRO D'ITALIA stage 6: Ascoli Piceno - Chieti (161 km)
DBiJzT3.png

100th GIRO D ITALIA stage 7: Francavilla al Mare - Lanciano (50 km ITT)
ykFmKc2.png

100th GIRO D'ITALIA stage 8: Lanciano - Blockhaus (186 km)
nTlVneq.png

100th GIRO D'ITALIA stage 9: Sulmona - Vesuvio (237 km)
hCzyXcU.png

100th GIRO'ITALIA stage 10: Formia - Roma (201 km)
W5gOcg8.png

100th GIRO D'ITALIA stage 11: Rieti - Terminillo (23 km)
yfdnLLw.png

100th GIRO D'ITALIA stage 12: Narni - Montalcino (188 km)
8ciZHp4.png

100th GIRO D'ITALIA stage 13: Siena - Pisa (170 km)
U5Rs4CX.png

100th GIRO D'ITALIA stage 14: Pisa - Rapallo (219 km)
uJ5SpgT.png

100th GIRO D'ITALIA stage 15: Genova - Sanremo (195 km)
jngplen.png

100th GIRO D'ITALIA stage 16: Cuneo - Sestriere (167 km)

100th GIRO D'ITALIA stage 17: Susa - Pinerolo (247 km)
2IEXacb.png

100th GIRO D'ITALIA stage 18: Torino - Como (235 km)
Aily37D.png

100th GIRO D'ITALIA stage 19: Bergamo - Aprica (191 km)
vlHGy1U.png

100th GIRO D'ITALIA stage 20: Tirano - Sulden (147 km)
hKTKKOf.png

100th GIRO D'ITALIA stage 21: Milano - Milano (24 km ITT)
cE6nf45.png

TRENDING THREADS