• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Design Thread

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
stage 15

Tumut thredbo

Thredbo is one of the best Skiing in Austrlia. This will be the tester for the GC contenders, the race won't have been won by now, but mistakes could have lost it. After this stage we should see those with a chance.

Long and tough at 250km
Climbs
Cat 1 9.2km at 7.3%
Cat 3 5.7km at 4.2%
Cat 2 6.24km at 6.8%
Cat 3 3.0km at 5.8%
Cat 2 5.7km at 4.9%
Cat 1 14.9km at 6.7%

Last dip doesn't exist.

Map
stage15a.jpg

stage15b.jpg

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
stage 16

After the second rest day.

Thredbo to Eden
Eden is a sleepy coastal tourist and fishing town. Great Scuba diving.

209km
Climbs
at 178km Cat 2 3.23 km at 7.7%
at 199km Cat 3 3.41km at 5.8%

Map
stage16a.jpg

stage16b.jpg

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Stage 17

Nothing easy in this short stage.

Omeo- Mt Buffalo, Final climb I don't think is steep enough for a real shake up, but again being in attentive could let a solid break up the road. Again another day to lose the tour, not really to win it, beyond luck.
We're now in the alpine region of Victoria, rgmerk gave us some good stages, but here are mine.

168.3km
Climbs
Cat 1 9.84km at 6.8%
Cat 3 4.81km at 4.1%
Cat 1 8.53km at 6.0%
Final climb is really 20km at 5%

Map
stage17a.jpg

stage17b.jpg

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Stage 18

Bright to wodonga
Last "chance" for the sprinters, not many for them is there.
170km
Climbs
Last 3 more or less
cat 4 3km at 5%

Map
stage18a.jpg

stage18b.jpg

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Stage 19

Wangaratta to Buller

MTF
153km
Climbs
Cat 2 12km at 4.8% though obviously there is a shorter much steeper section
Cat 1 18.18km at 5.3% last 10km close to 8% not nearly so steady as the buffalo climb, pinches of 20%.

Map
stage19a.jpg

stage19b.jpg

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Stage 20

Queen Stage?
Last Chance for the Climbers,
Mansfield to Baw Baw

235km
Climbs
Cat 1 11km at 6%
Cat 1 10.87km at 5.8%
Cat 1 11.71km at 7.8% Final 6km around 13%
30km unsealed decent to the base of Baw Baw to make life interesting.

Map
stage20a.jpg

stage20b.jpg

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Stage 21

Final TT to finish.
Long Transfer I'm not sure is worthwhile.
Great ocean road, from the memorial to apollo bay

58km
Up and down twisting and turning
Profile suggests up and down though not severely, google maps notes 4 up and downs, 1 of near 100m, the other 3 between 50-60m, which seems right.

Map
stage21a.jpg

stage21b.jpg

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
The rest day is after stage 8? You do know that's at a weekend, right?

Craig, that's al-Blida to you ;) (the Arabic you quote has the definite article attached so I assume that's how it's known in the country)

I realized later, should the day after. So 1-9 then rest on 10 and kick off up to Bowral. Second rest day on the next monday between 15 and 16.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Looks like Australia presents the same kind of problems I really struggled with with my Vuelta a Argentina - there is no lack of climbs, but finding the connecting climbs is the biggest challenge.

That is very true. A lot of the climbs are relatively close to each other but we don't seem to have many passes.

Karlboss, Stage 8 is nasty! 57km ITT up to Thredbo! High altitude, uphill super long itt!

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
That is very true. A lot of the climbs are relatively close to each other but we don't seem to have many passes.

Karlboss, Stage 8 is nasty! 57km ITT up to Thredbo! High altitude, uphill super long itt!

Stage 8 is 57 km ITT to the three sisters in the blue mountains. The profile looks nastier than it is.

Back to the Vuelta, and, having had the GC battle lines drawn early, it's time to give somebody else a chance.

Stage 3: Cambrils - Castellón de la Plana, 211km

15i20yq.png

This is a long transitional stage moving out of Catalunya and into Comunitat Valenciana. This is more your typical week 1 fare for most GTs, being almost entirely flat, with all hills being gradual and rolling. So far, so good for the sprinters.

However, there is a sting in the tail. The climb of Desierto de las Palmas is not exactly a leg breaker, at least on this side, but at 6km in length it is likely to see some of the least adept climbers struggle to maintain contact, and also offer some puncheurs the opportunity to try and get away, as the summit is 18km from the finish. However, the final 12km into Castellón de la Plana are flat and the chances are this one is more likely to suit the more all-round and durable sprinters - the likes of Ventoso, Bennati, Rojas, Hushovd and Boasson Hagen will probably find this to their liking.

This run-in is similar to that in the 2011 Spanish national championships, where the climb was tough enough for Alberto Contador to get away, but José Joaquín Rojas was still able to follow, indicating that the difficulty is hardly extreme; had Movistar not sat up and let them go knowing Rojas would win the sprint it would likely have come back together. The nationals used the climb a number of times as opposed to just once here, and the run-in to Castellón de la Plana in this route is slightly longer as well, which is further fuel to the fire of expectation that the puncheurs will be outdone by the more durable sprinters. However, the length is also a factor, especially in the likely heat of late August/early September on the Spanish coast.

2d0kh90.png

Climbs:
Desierto de las Palmas (cat.3) 6,2km @ 5,4%

Cambrils:
cambrils.jpg

Castellón de la Plana:
Castelln_de_la_Plana_Centro_ciudad.jpg

Library post

Fantasy versions of other World Tour Stage Races

Dauphiné: Stage 1 Stages 2 & 3 Stage 4 Stage 5 Stage 6 Stage 7 (BigMac)

Dauphiné: Prologue Stage 1 Stage 2 Stage 3 Stage 4 Stage 5 Stage 6 Stage 7 (Libertine Seguros)

Dauphin?: Stage 1 Stage 2 Stage 3 Stage 4 Stage 5 Stage 6 Stage 7 Stage 8 (rghysens)

ENECO Tour: Entire parcours (CasperVg)

ENECO Tour: Stages 1 & 2 Stage 3 Stage 4 Stage 5 Stage 6 Stage 7 Stage 8 (rghysens)

Paris-Nice: Entire parcours (CasperVg)

Paris-Nice: Stage 1 Stage 2 Stage 3 Stage 4 Stage 5 Stage 6 Stage 7 Stage 8 (lemon cheese cake)

Paris-Nice: Version 1: Entire parcours Version 2: Entire parcours (rghysens)

Paris-Nice: Entire parcours (roundabout)

Tour de Pologne: Stage 1 Stage 2 Stage 3 Stage 4 Stage 5 Stage 6 Stage 7 (Libertine Seguros)

Tour de Romandie: Entire parcours (rghysens)

Tour de Romandie: Entire parcours (roundabout)

Tour de Suisse: Stages 1 & 2 Stages 3 & 4 Stages 5 & 6 Stages 7 & 8 Stage 9 (CasperVg)

Tour de Suisse: Stage 1 Stage 2 Stage 3 Stage 4 Stage 5 Stage 6 Stage 7 Stage 8 Stage 9 (Libertine Seguros)

Tour de Suisse: Entire parcours (roundabout)

Tour de Suisse (2nd version): Entire parcours (roundabout)

Tour Down Under (Victoria): Stage 1 Stage 2 Stage 3 Stage 4 Stage 5 (auscyclefan94)

Tour of Beijing: Stage 1 Stage 2 Stage 3 Stages 4 & 5 (craig1985)

Tour of Beijing: Stage 1 Stage 2 Stage 3 Stage 4 Stage 5 (Progsprach)

Volta a Catalunya: Prologue Stage 1 Stages 2 & 3 Stage 4 Stage 5 Stages 6 & 7 (craig1985)

Vuelta al Pa?*s Vasco: Stage 1 Stage 2 Stage 3 Stage 4 Stage 5 Stage 6 (Libertine Seguros)

More will be added here as they are posted. All library posts are linked from the original post in the thread.

Now it's time for a rolling, undulating stage as we pass inland, briefly entering Aragón before settling into Castilla-La Mancha.

Stage 4: Teruel - Cuenca, 179km

1z3x73t.png

The fourth stage of the Vuelta may only contain three third-category climbs, but it is far from easy. The stage undulates throughout, with 1864m of cumulative climbing to be done as we weave our way through the Sistema Ibérico. Most of the climbing is not steep, but it will sap some strength from the legs before we get to our destination, the city of Cuenca.

Cuenca has hosted the Vuelta many a time in its history, and here we are finishing in the best possible way in the city - the cobbled climb up to the castle. This was featured in the Spanish national road race in 2007, which was won by Joaquím Rodríguez, which should tell you what you need to know. Yes, it's short, steep in places, and the puncheurs will love it. The cobbled surface may well attract tough classics men as well, and we could have an interesting face off for the placements in this one. Time gaps won't be big, but they will be there; the GC men will need to be on their guard. Luckily for them, they'll get a reconnaissance lap first, as we climb up to the castle twice in the closing stages.

You can revisit the finale of that 2007 national championship here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIwZ2Mlag7k

Skip to about the 4-minute mark for the route through the city and up to the finish. It's a good one. Might have to make the Vuelta have a think about their broadcasting though.

a3zg9h.png

Climbs:
Alto de Frias de Albarracín (cat.3) 4,5km @ 5,1%
Ciudad Encantada (cat.3) 8,1km @ 3,1%
Cuenca Mirador del Castillo (cat.3) 1,6km @ 7,1%
Cuenca Mirador del Castillo (no puntable) 1,6km @ 7,1%

Teruel:
teruel_02.jpg

Cuenca:
cuenca-espa%C3%B1a.jpg

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Karlboss's Tour of Australia

Karlboss, a really nice effort.

Some comments (mainly on the latter section in Victoria and southern NSW):

* General - unsealed sections are great, but many of them can be rendered impassable (or at least risky to pass) for conventional cars during and after rain. Not all of them are ballasted with gravel. You may need to specify 4wd support cars for this race, and they'll definitely want their Roubaix frames, wheels, and tyres.
* Stage 15 - climb to Thredbo is known as "Dead Horse Gap", and not without reason.
* Stage 17 - as noted in my own race, Raspberry Hill (1st climb on stage) is a brute that may well spreadeagle the peloton of its own accord.
* Stage 19 - Buller is not as tough as that (rode it last Saturday). It's tough at the right end of the stage, though. First 12 km never gets above 10%, averages maybe 6-7%. False flat, then last 1.5 km or so is harder, getting up to 13% or so in parts. It'll work really well as a final MTF, having the most selective section right at the top! The earlier parts through to Mansfield are absolutely gorgeous riding, too - the Mansfield to Oxley amateur race does that part of the course in the other direction.
* Stage 20 - If I'm reading your route correctly, you're taking the riders over the "Mount Toorongo Track". I haven't been through there personally, but it may not be rideable. "Track" generally indicates that it's only maintained to 4wd-passable standards.

Clearly, I need to get up to northern NSW with a bike. Maybe I'll have a crack at Grafton-Inverell one day!

May 6, 2009
Visit site
rgmerk said:

* General - unsealed sections are great, but many of them can be rendered impassable (or at least risky to pass) for conventional cars during and after rain. Not all of them are ballasted with gravel. You may need to specify 4wd support cars for this race, and they'll definitely want their Roubaix frames, wheels, and tyres.
* Stage 15 - climb to Thredbo is known as "Dead Horse Gap", and not without reason.
* Stage 17 - as noted in my own race, Raspberry Hill (1st climb on stage) is a brute that may well spreadeagle the peloton of its own accord.
* Stage 19 - Buller is not as tough as that (rode it last Saturday). It's tough at the right end of the stage, though. First 12 km never gets above 10%, averages maybe 6-7%. False flat, then last 1.5 km or so is harder, getting up to 13% or so in parts. It'll work really well as a final MTF, having the most selective section right at the top! The earlier parts through to Mansfield are absolutely gorgeous riding, too - the Mansfield to Oxley amateur race does that part of the course in the other direction.
* Stage 20 - If I'm reading your route correctly, you're taking the riders over the "Mount Toorongo Track". I haven't been through there personally, but it may not be rideable. "Track" generally indicates that it's only maintained to 4wd-passable standards.

Clearly, I need to get up to northern NSW with a bike. Maybe I'll have a crack at Grafton-Inverell one day!

Yeah I want to do it as well. I've never ridden 230km let alone raced it.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Tour of Algeria Stage 3 - Tuvirett - Médéa - 169.4km

Map & Profile

No MTF, but today's finish offer's plenty of climbing and should suit a small group that arrives in the town of Médéa, would suit a rider like Sagan, EBH, Rojas or Freire if they could get over the climbs with the peloton. The peloton starts in the town of Tovirett and the whole stage is littered with tempo climbing, nothing too hard gradient wise and it is hard to see many riders getting dropped unless the speed is really high, unless your name is Daniele Napolitano, Angelo Furlan, Andrea Guardini, or Francesco Chichi. The first real climbs at 140km when we go through Berrouaghia. It's a 5km climb which tops out 9.4%. As we head towards Médéa today's finish, the peloton has a 1.5km climb the peloton turns off the Trans-Sahara Highway, which tops out 11.1%, it's a sharp power climb and those not having a good day will be out the back pretty quickly, and you be certain there will be plenty of attacks from the break if they are still away, or from the peloton. Médéa is only a small town, so the climb finishes on the outskirts of town, a short descent before there is 1km of flat before the finish outside the Iman Lyes Stadium.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
rgmerk said:

* General - unsealed sections are great, but many of them can be rendered impassable (or at least risky to pass) for conventional cars during and after rain. Not all of them are ballasted with gravel. You may need to specify 4wd support cars for this race, and they'll definitely want their Roubaix frames, wheels, and tyres. Not a problem, it isn't uncommon to only have motorbikes as support.
* Stage 15 - climb to Thredbo is known as "Dead Horse Gap", and not without reason. Good route then?
* Stage 17 - as noted in my own race, Raspberry Hill (1st climb on stage) is a brute that may well spreadeagle the peloton of its own accord. That's the idea ;)
* Stage 19 - Buller is not as tough as that (rode it last Saturday). It's tough at the right end of the stage, though. First 12 km never gets above 10%, averages maybe 6-7%. False flat, then last 1.5 km or so is harder, getting up to 13% or so in parts. It'll work really well as a final MTF, having the most selective section right at the top! The earlier parts through to Mansfield are absolutely gorgeous riding, too - the Mansfield to Oxley amateur race does that part of the course in the other direction. I was going off google maps description.
* Stage 20 - If I'm reading your route correctly, you're taking the riders over the "Mount Toorongo Track". I haven't been through there personally, but it may not be rideable. "Track" generally indicates that it's only maintained to 4wd-passable standards. This one took a long time, I used street view every where I could and it was sealed, excepting that 30km link road through to the base of Baw Baw. The road looks much like some I've ridden before, and after a little water i doubt it'd be passable. I guess it'd be race day inspection and be ready with an alternate route.

I think if there were a GT Down under, this alpine region would be the only permanent feature, and some years there would be massive transfers. I know there are some good climbs in tasmania, and far north Queensland too.

Thanks for the input, would be great to see some real racing through here.

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
After a long break, it is finally time to continue with my Tour of Japan.

Previously there was...

Stage 1
Stage 2
Stage 3
Stage 4
Stage 5

Stage 6: Nankoku - Takamatsu, 184 km

15hibk7.jpg

Today we start from Nankoku, known for its fishing industry. The race is heading north, crossing the isle of Shikoku. On the first 80 kilometers there will be two Cat.1 Climbs that will make the race hard and will create a bigger breakaway. Then after some 60k of flat rolling terrain, the peloton has to tackle another climb right before the finish line. So it looks like a strongly reduced bunch sprint in Takamatsu, but you never know with fatigue and the descent. Here, Murakami's well known novel "Kafka on the Shore" is set. Since the race is held in summer, we can expect another steaming hot day here in the south.

2e4hyd1.jpg

Climbs
Cat. 4 // Route 30 (205m), 4,3k @ 3.5%.
Cat. 1 // Unnamed (1210m), 15,1k @ 6.2%.
Cat. 1 // Ochiai Pass (1492m), 13,5k @ 6.9%.
Cat. 2 // Inohana Pass (471m), 5,9k @ 5.7%.
Cat. 2 // Mt.Ohira (406m), 7,5k @ 5.0%.

Nankoku
downtown-kochi.jpg

Takamatsu
4346219-Takamatsu_City_Takamatsu.jpg

Time for a bit of respite from the early GC action, with a sprint stage.

Stage 5: Cuenca - Requena, 181km

30af2u1.png

Moving back from Castilla-La Mancha into Comunidad Valenciana, the sprinters will be happy to finally have a chance to ply their wares; several of them may well have been able to compete for the win in Castellón de la Plana, but there will no doubt be plenty for whom this will be their first real opportunity. The course is quite rolling, but the only real obstacles come early on and the GC men will likely be quite happy to let the sprinters have their day, having had to be on their guard throughout the race so far.

ifwxhl.png

Climbs:
Ermita de San Miguel (cat.3) 7,0km @ 3,7%

The riders will have to take advantage of the easy day today. It could even be that a break is allowed to go and take the jersey for a few days if the sprinters' teams don't fancy it, but I'd imagine that the fast men will be on the prowl.

Requena:
requena_vista_t4600292.jpg_1306973099.jpg

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Stage 7: Higashikagawa - Mt. Ikoma, 182 km

2pslwjs.jpg

Today's stage starts from the coastal town Higashikagawa, which is famous for its wasanbon production, and leaves Shikoku for Japans main island Honshū. The stage is mostly flat, with a sharp, poisonous finale, that will tear the peloton into pieces.
The final climb to the scenic Mount Ikoma can be divided into two parts. The first 2,3 km average at 17% with peakes to 24%. Just take a look at these pictures. The second part of the climb is mostly flat with some shorter parts of 8%. But they will hurt definitely after this ramp.

359gtgg.jpg

Climbs
Cat. 4 // Route 157 (181m), 4,8k @ 2.9%.
Cat. 1 // Mt. Ikoma (627m), 7,7k @ 7,8%.

Osaka at Night from Mt. Ikoma
20053034.jpg

Mt. Ikoma Amusement Park
52719435.jpg

TRENDING THREADS