• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Radios and the Media

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
A few threads on here are addressing the issue of race radios and how they have taken away from the tactics and excitement of cycling. I am also wondering how much of the technology that the media uses to cover the tour has taken away from the tactics and thrill of the race. Reason I ask is I did a youtube of the 87 tour the other night. Found one on the stage where Roche caught Delgado on the final climb thus saving his TDF. It was very clear that Liggett had no idea what the time difference between the two were and was clearly surprised to see Roche just in the background as Delgado crossed the finish line.
Today's coverage has us seeing every time difference at every single minute. So we know exactly what is happening. Isn't it kind of difficult to make it exciting that way?

TRENDING THREADS