• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race thread: Olympics 2020/21 Tokyo, Men's Road Race, 234k

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Italy seem to have by far the strongest team in terms of depth and options. Moscon invariably rides well in national colours and it would be a shame to waste him as an 'engine'. He has as good a chance as any of them on this course. Getting Caruso into an early break might be their best option?

Reactions: Andy262
Alaphillipe isn't riding.

I would think Wout if he can get over the last climb, though nobody is going to want to go to the final with him. Lot of descent after the last climb so hard to see someone going solo there.

I get Pogacar being the favorite but not sure how he sprints from small group if there are better ones there.
Pogacar and Roglic are probably the two fastest dudes after Van Aert likely to make it to the final, but Roglic has a tendency of losing his sprint after 6h.

Reactions: topt
Does the nations work as a team? I mean, in Slovenia team the other cyclist will work for Pogacar and Roglic? Or is this some sort of every man for himself?
I'm from Portugal and we only have 2 riders. I hope João Almeida can finish top 3, but it's really hard

Reactions: Sandisfan
Does the nations work as a team? I mean, in Slovenia team the other cyclist will work for Pogacar and Roglic? Or is this some sort of every man for himself?
I'm from Portugal and we only have 2 riders. I hope João Almeida can finish top 3, but it's really hard
Yes, each nation sends a small team of riders (1-5 depending on the qualification process) who will work together (hopefully).

Almeida is for sure a dark horse for a podium spot, even if nobody is mentioning him. He lacks support though.

Italy seem to have by far the strongest team in terms of depth and options. Moscon invariably rides well in national colours and it would be a shame to waste him as an 'engine'. He has as good a chance as any of them on this course. Getting Caruso into an early break might be their best option?
Caruso, Ciccone, and Nibali should all be active on or just after Fuji (if not before).

See you all in ~4½ hours!

Reactions: Rollthedice
Alaphillipe isn't riding.

I would think Wout if he can get over the last climb, though nobody is going to want to go to the final with him. Lot of descent after the last climb so hard to see someone going solo there.

I get Pogacar being the favorite but not sure how he sprints from small group if there are better ones there.
ask Alaphilippe :), his sprint is just as good as Roglic if not even a bit better

I suspect there will be some good action in the break and on Fuji because teams won’t want to let it all come down to Mikuni Pass. That would pretty much funnel it down to a Rog/Pog win as they’re the only punchy guys who can climb with the pure climbers but also TT and win a sprint finish. I don’t think Wout can hang on a 10% climb for that long. Wouldn’t be surprised if someone like Valverde/Yates wins it.

TRENDING THREADS