• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race thread: Olympics 2020/21 Tokyo, Men's Road Race, 234k

Page 42 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Okaayyy

1. Van Aert best man in the race no doubt about it.
  2. Pogacar simply lacked the edge he had in the Tour de France. Might argue he peaked too early in the Tour
  3. Tour de France riders dominated the race. Most glaring in Roglic who wasn't close on Mikuni and wasn't even in the 2nd/3rd group behind.
  4. Evenepoel was disappointing compared to expectations. He would have made all the difference for Van Aert.
  5. McNulty made the winning move and in the end got *** all for it. Extremely bitter result for him
  6. I'm genuinely baffled by Belgium blowing up the race on Mikuni. They isolated Van Aert there.
  7. Olympic Gold in the end is unworthy of Vincenzo Nibali.

MCipollini-Giordana made Nicole Cooke a special Olympic jersey in 2010, all white with the Olympic rings above the sponsor logos, and gold piping at the waist and arms. The UCI banned it before she could turn a pedal in anger in it.
Vino also had to change to a normal team kit, so didn't get to race in this:

KipLyAHKG8fF5ATsGWzaMF-970-80.jpg.webp

I don't know if it has been said but this was only Ecuador's third Olympic medal EVER. Second gold.

That makes it really great. Honestly, in Germany a gold in cycling would just be one in a count and in the end everyone would be disappointed because it's only 15 or 20 instead of 30. I guess Carapaz will get the credit he deserves in Ecuador.
And although van Aert and also Pogacar were stronger overall in my opinion, it can't be argued that this wasn't still a great and deserved win.

Three very exciting riders on the podium. Very nice.

And of course BBC don't show that podium. That, and cutting to a 5 min interview with Cav as the race exploded on Mikuni Pass, gave off a strong impression that BBC don't understand or don't care about cycling. What's the point in showing all these events if you completely disrespect them.

The way the ARD went on about Schachmann all the time at least made me respect ES again, I often forget what I got when I stroll away.

Three very exciting riders on the podium. Very nice.

And of course BBC don't show that podium. That, and cutting to a 5 min interview with Cav as the race exploded on Mikuni Pass, gave off a strong impression that BBC don't understand or don't care about cycling. What's the point in showing all these events if you completely disrespect them.

I particularly liked when they cut randomly to highlights of gymnastics with about 30km to go as attacks were going.

Okaayyy

1. Van Aert best man in the race no doubt about it.
  2. Pogacar simply lacked the edge he had in the Tour de France. Might argue he peaked too early in the Tour
  3. Tour de France riders dominated the race. Most glaring in Roglic who wasn't close on Mikuni and wasn't even in the 2nd/3rd group behind.
  4. Evenepoel was disappointing compared to expectations. He would have made all the difference for Van Aert.
  5. McNulty made the winning move and in the end got *** all for it. Extremely bitter result for him
  6. I'm genuinely baffled by Belgium blowing up the race on Mikuni. They isolated Van Aert there.
  7. Olympic Gold in the end is unworthy of Vincenzo Nibali.
Agree on all points but 6. Not keeping the pace high, would have resulted in more attacks, which would have been worse for him.
As for point 3, the two current best riders in the world were in the TDF, the best rider of the Giro wasn't here.

I get that not everyone was capable of doing something, but Woods, Pogacar and a couple of others were, yet all they did was disrupt the chase of Carapaz
Most of them tried solo for 3rd place, which is probably the most you can hope for. Most of them could not win anything as Carapaz and McNulty got 20s. They were lucky McNulty even exploded. And there was not only Van Aert to work over. If it goes to a group sprint you're probably sprinting for 3rd at best vs Van Aert and Pogacar.

Reactions: Carrick-On-Seine
He takes a little getting used to but there's something hilarious about Roglic, you just get the impression he's taking the piss in every interview.

Saying he had a bit of cramp in the back so struggled but looked fresh, should be ok for the tt you would think?

yep Rog has a very tongue in cheek sense of humour in interviews

There when it was his birthday earlier in the year and some comms person was talking about how he may have limited time to win the Tour but also congratulating him on his birthday

Rog said " Yeah I am getting older and older every day"

Agree on all points but 6. Not keeping the pace high, would have resulted in more attacks, which would have been worse for him.
As for point 3, the two current best riders in the world were in the TDF, the best rider of the Giro wasn't here.
Yes, but I think Bernal would've needed to ride the Tour to be there at the pointy end. For example I'm pretty sure I haven't seen Almeida all day