• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Thread

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

RedheadDane said:
Never really cared much for cyclocross. But, MAN this was fun. :D

Might be some guys needing a shower now.

Its a shame its a small sport international. It's really a lot of fun. I understand Matthieu van der Poel when he says he wants to spend his years doing cyclocross instead of on the road. I think doing cyclo is a lot more fun to do as well.

Re:

lemon cheese cake said:
What happened to Mathieu?

I reckon you mean what happened to him in the last lap? He let go when he realised he couldnt win anymore.
Shame he couldnt recover from the tumble with van Aert. Mentally most of all since i the end he showed he still had some in the tank.
Van Aert deserved winner though. Was a great race, my heartrate was up most of the time.

Dec 22, 2015
www.youtube.com
Amazing race by Van Aert and VDH.
Van Aert going for the grand slam.
VDH is always great at the races he picks out.

Good WC debut by Sweeck.
Nys a great 4th.
Pauwels like always a great last lap.
VDP over his top, but did his best, when he was in 3rd position in the last lap and then something happened.
David VDP his best race of the season.
Meeusen, a little let down, but he had a good season.

Re: Re:

Kwibus said:
lemon cheese cake said:
What happened to Mathieu?

I reckon you mean what happened to him in the last lap? He let go when he realised he couldnt win anymore.
Shame he couldnt recover from the tumble with van Aert. Mentally most of all since i the end he showed he still had some in the tank.
Van Aert deserved winner though. Was a great race, my heartrate was up most of the time.
Ok, thanks.

On a separate note, is Jens Dekker related to Erik Dekker?

Kwibus said:
RedheadDane said:
Never really cared much for cyclocross. But, MAN this was fun. :D
Its a shame its a small sport international. It's really a lot of fun. I understand Matthieu van der Poel when he says he wants to spend his years doing cyclocross instead of on the road. I think doing cyclo is a lot more fun to do as well.
@RhD - you should really start watching it, cyclo-cross race almost always guarantees one hour of fun and sometimes pure madness right in front of TV cameras
@Kwibus - the sport has one serious downside though that you don't get to race much in nice weather. Otherwise I agree this must be much more fun also from the riders' point of view than sitting on a bike for 4-5 hours during a road race without quite often nothing really happening around you

Bad weather is not a downside, it's an asset.

Bitter that there's not been any full replay on YT. Usually they get it the day after and now all I could see is spoilers...

Okay hope the replay comes because I want to see how it unfolded.

Great winner but anyway in cyclocross today all the top guns seem like nice guys to me: Mathieu, Wout, Lars, Kevin. :) Unlike the big necks on the road

It's a small world, also an asset, everybody knows everybody knows everybody, everybody calls you friend. All those riders are really available for kids who want a sig or a picture. Cyclocross on TV is great but on the field, there's nothing like it, it's as good as it gets. :)

lemon cheese cake said:
Jspear said:
If you don't mind English commentary, the entire race is on the UCI youtube channel.
Although it may still be geoblocked in some areas.

True. It is for the US. You just have to use a vpn app. Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Chrome all have several free add on's that should do the job. I personally use "dotVPN" with Chrome. I switch it to Germany and I'm able to watch the video.

UCI channel isn't geoblocked here. I watched it a few times during the season but now there's a Sporza replay and I've watched it there. But thanks JSpear. ;)

First time I hear the famous Wuyts "oolalalala" 's. :p Must have been great to Watch it live. And Wuyts really had nice words for Lars Lars Van der Haar: "Foxxy Fox", "Jackie Russell", "Thank you, Little Lars, for the 'counter gas'" (didn't know what he meant). But it's for sure that Lars is a rider of our heart, very friendly and with particular sense of humor (constantly joking about his small height). Three years ago I was in Overijse and stood by him for about half an hour while he was riding a roll bike (as they all should do). He just kept on smiling. :) The Belgian audience should really be nicer to him. He does not deserve all this bear throwing that he got while in the lead but well I guess spectators are "living" their races too, I'm not easily outraged by such behaviour, normally. But Lars has always shown respect for Belgium and is good friend with some of our riders. It's sad for him. :(

173379LarsWout.png

Bit late in replying...

It also seems like quite a spectator-friendly type of racing, what with the riders zig-zagging around on a closed circuit. Of course it might be a bit cold and wet, but I have a feeling the Belgians aren't exactly complaining about the rain. :p

Definitely don't mind English commentating. Understand that quite a bit better than Dutch.

My sister actually asked if it was supposed to be that muddy, and if they would hose the track to achieve it.

Cyclocross is not always that muddy to be honest. Most races are raced on dry conditions (which is already very pleasant in itself) and sometimes in summer conditions (like the 2010 edition of Namur, where I was, it was damn hot). Sometimes it's raced on ice or in the snow (that's really beautiful, I visited the snowy 2010 Diegem cross, lovely).

But I'd say the most impressive muddy cross I've seen was Asper Gavere 2005. Though I haven't seen it live (wasn't interested in it, then) but a few years after. Unfortunately it's not on YT but Asper Gavere is always the most impressive course, in my opinion. It's my favourite.

Yes, it's really spectator-friendly. I mean you can see riders passing every 10 seconds while on the road, you need to wait 1 hour with the caravan throwing craps and then the peloton passes for 8 seconds and it's all over.

Besides, the few times I went to Overijse, I was in a position where there was action 360° around me. Just great fun. Of course I was really cold but I didn't mind. I remember standing next to a kid (about 8 year old or so) who was really enthusiastic: "Komaan Sven, Komaan Niels" etc and even to the most obscure riders he would cheer "Komaan Mariusz Gil. Komaan Duval. Komaan Jan Denuwelaere". It must have been a great day for him. :)

Echoes said:
Cyclocross is not always that muddy to be honest. Most races are raced on dry conditions (which is already very pleasant in itself) and sometimes in summer conditions (like the 2010 edition of Namur, where I was, it was damn hot). Sometimes it's raced on ice or in the snow (that's really beautiful, I visited the snowy 2010 Diegem cross, lovely).

But I'd say the most impressive muddy cross I've seen was Asper Gavere 2005. Though I haven't seen it live (wasn't interested in it, then) but a few years after. Unfortunately it's not on YT but Asper Gavere is always the most impressive course, in my opinion. It's my favourite.

Yes, it's really spectator-friendly. I mean you can see riders passing every 10 seconds while on the road, you need to wait 1 hour with the caravan throwing craps and then the peloton passes for 8 seconds and it's all over.

Besides, the few times I went to Overijse, I was in a position where there was action 360° around me. Just great fun. Of course I was really cold but I didn't mind. I remember standing next to a kid (about 8 year old or so) who was really enthusiastic: "Komaan Sven, Komaan Niels" etc and even to the most obscure riders he would cheer "Komaan Mariusz Gil. Komaan Duval. Komaan Jan Denuwelaere". It must have been a great day for him. :)
And then it will only take you three times that long to get to the other side of the course, as most cyclocross locations are very compact. The only time it will take longer to get anywhere, is when it's three foot of mud to wade through like at BK Erpe-Mere last year or Bpost Essen a couple of years ago when Denuwelaere got knocked off by Stybar.

Good race by Sweeck at the Bpost Trofee on Sunday. Shame VdP crashed and hurt his back placing himself outside the top twenty. It's also a shame that this won't get a field as good as this next season as it's supposed to be a Soudal Classic next year, because the course looked alot tougher than the Lille circuit. It was only filling the gap that Lille would normally take up as it had the national champs there.

Mathieu's back pain subsided for sunday's 'Strawberries Cross' (Aardbeiencross) at Hoogstraten for the Superprestige, as to took a solo victory with one lap to go. He stumbled with the bike on the hurdles at one point, however kept it upright to win from Wout van Aert as he got his second second of the weekend.

First race of the season tomorrow at the Brico Cross in Geraardsbergen.

Van Aert, Meeusen, Pauwels, Iserbyt and Sweeck in the startlist.

Mathieu Van der Poel only starts racing in Gieten, is recovering from a knee surgery. So he misses the first two rounds of the World Cup too.

Re:

Ricco' said:
First race of the season tomorrow at the Brico Cross in Geraardsbergen.

Van Aert, Meeusen, Pauwels, Iserbyt and Sweeck in the startlist.

Mathieu Van der Poel only starts racing in Gieten, is recovering from a knee surgery. So he misses the first two rounds of the World Cup too.

Can't wait!

It's shame Van der Poel is out. Will make it difficult for him to compete in the world cup and other race series.
Van Aert has been looking good on the road recently too, it'll be nice to see some cross action again

TRENDING THREADS