• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Thread

Page 210 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If you're at Baloise-Trek or one of the Roodhooft teams, there is a clear progression if you want it, and are good enough; whether that is road and/or MTB.......That isn't the case at PauwelsSauzens....you have to leave to progress. I wonder how long Leonie Bentveld stays there......

Maybe PSB eventually become a development/ U23 team?
Why is that? Is it lack of support for the younger riders or is it something else?

Manon Bakker wins! Last year she was on the podium already. She's one of the most technical riders on the circuit, so it makes sense. The course is a bit ridiculous, but at least it provides for surprising racing.
I thought her win was due mostly to her stature and raw power through the snow. I wonder how long UCI will continue this silly experiment and what it will take to cause them to end it, maybe less than 20 starters in a World Cup?

Reactions: ChewbaccaDefense
I thought her win was due mostly to her stature and raw power through the snow. I wonder how long UCI will continue this silly experiment and what it will take to cause them to end it, maybe less than 20 starters in a World Cup?
Despite her stature, Manon Bakker is actually more of a technical rider than a real powerhouse.

I'm kind of on the fence about this course. It's entertaining, although the men's race was frankly not that exciting, but for the uninitiated it just looks a bit silly. If it's really just there with the sole goal of convincing the IOC that cyclocross should be an Olympic sport, what's the point anyway.

Reactions: Barkintheeye
Despite her stature, Manon Bakker is actually more of a technical rider than a real powerhouse.

I'm kind of on the fence about this course. It's entertaining, although the men's race was frankly not that exciting, but for the uninitiated it just looks a bit silly. If it's really just there with the sole goal of convincing the IOC that cyclocross should be an Olympic sport, what's the point anyway.
To impress the IOC they have to deliver a product that looks like something more than a bunch of guys floundering in the snow. When it snows on a cross it makes for unusual racing, it's okay on occasion but it's definitely not the norm. Not sure what benefit to the sport it would be to have a larger audience exposed to this version of cyclocross once every 4 years.

To impress the IOC they have to deliver a product that looks like something more than a bunch of guys floundering in the snow. When it snows on a cross it makes for unusual racing, it's okay on occasion but it's definitely not the norm. Not sure what benefit to the sport it would be to have a larger audience exposed to this version of cyclocross once every 4 years.
I don't think it does anything for cyclocross in the heartland of the sport (Belgium), but in many countries participating in the Olympics comes with increased attention and often funding for athletes in otherwise obscure sports.

I don't think it does anything for cyclocross in the heartland of the sport (Belgium), but in many countries participating in the Olympics comes with increased attention and often funding for athletes in otherwise obscure sports.
The Olympics is a large thing that will attract athletes and may or may not be a major goal for the best, at least within some sports.

Ice speed skating is such a sport and without the Olympic participation it almost surely would be nonexistent. Athletes in some other sports on the other hand couldn’t be bothered like tennis, golf, soccer etc. There are enough of other prestigious events to fill their calendars anyway.

Cyclocross? Cannot see the merits of it being included in the Winter Olympic. Maybe in the summer it could make some sense but then it collides with the MTB and the Road race…